New update for Evo 4G LTE

Jaggrey

I tried from navigation directly and it still crashes. I think Google might have to release an update to the maps app as this as been reported on the s3 as well after JB update....

It's weird because on my wife's S3 the Google Nav works fine, post update. But I did see that some Verizon S3 users were having the same problem as us.

I didn't connect in a fringe 4G area where I usually connect, twice. Hope its not a trend.

I've noticed this also, but I'm waiting to give it more time to see what happens.

It's weird because on my wife's S3 the Google Nav works fine, post update. But I did see that some Verizon S3 users were having the same problem as us.

I've noticed this also, but I'm waiting to give it more time to see what happens.

Mine has been connecting to LTE just fine.

My LTE has always sucked. I haven't had a chance to test post update.

The only problem I've ever had with navigation is when network throughput sucks.

Prox sensor problems? huh? I've never had a problem there.

Its not a hardware issue and a factory reset does not fix it. There is a thread over on android central if you want more details. In summary, everything worked fine with ICS and now it doesn't.

I went and read the thread. If it doesn't affect every phone, and some (but not all) people running custom ROMs like CM 10 have the same problem, and wiping the phone and reinstalling to a baseline, factory-fresh state where it is known to work on other Evo LTEs doesn't fix the problem, it has to be a hardware problem with specific phones by definition. Just because new software exposes the underlying hardware problem doesn't mean it's not actually a hardware problem.

One more thing I just found, you can now update your voice mail app by going to settings. It changed the theme a little bit, but now you can have white or black background if you decire.

I had to manually download a new Voicemail app before I could do it.

Just tried the suggested maps work around by putting Nav in 2D mode and no kidding it actually worked for me. I have tried every other 'fix' with no luck until now. Your mileage may vary but tap the compass to try toggling modes.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I think this update is a step backwards in terms of LTE connectivity. In areas where I used to automatically connect to LTE I no longer do, i have to use the Airplane mode toggle again. This really sucks, is there a way to roll back to the previous update?

I think this update is a step backwards in terms of LTE connectivity. In areas where I used to automatically connect to LTE I no longer do, i have to use the Airplane mode toggle again. This really sucks, is there a way to roll back to the previous update?

If you are S-OFF you can.

After several days I see a slight difference (if any) in getting onto LTE. I did prefer how it hopped onto one more quickly before this last update. I have noticed that my battery life has been significantly better, like back to how it was before the Jellybean update. If maybe it was scanning too often before and that affected battery life, I think how it is now is a nice balance.

Edited by Jaggrey

I went and read the thread. If it doesn't affect every phone, and some (but not all) people running custom ROMs like CM 10 have the same problem, and wiping the phone and reinstalling to a baseline, factory-fresh state where it is known to work on other Evo LTEs doesn't fix the problem, it has to be a hardware problem with specific phones by definition. Just because new software exposes the underlying hardware problem doesn't mean it's not actually a hardware problem.

I don't think so. You are operating under the assumption that each evo uses the exact same components.

My bone stock EVO 4G LTE can't run nav, it crashes. I tried a factory refresh RUU and it didn't fix. I know 4 people with evo, 2 people have problems since the update, two people don't. All are stock, non-rooted. All worked perfect prior to JB update.

My guess is that HTC uses different component vendors for some part that has a bad driver and makes nav crash - dunno though. If I run non-JB, no nav crash.

Sounds like a software issue to me :-/

I don't think so. You are operating under the assumption that each evo uses the exact same components.

My bone stock EVO 4G LTE can't run nav, it crashes. I tried a factory refresh RUU and it didn't fix. I know 4 people with evo, 2 people have problems since the update, two people don't. All are stock, non-rooted. All worked perfect prior to JB update.

My guess is that HTC uses different component vendors for some part that has a bad driver and makes nav crash - dunno though. If I run non-JB, no nav crash.

Still very strange that navigation is crashing for you. I ran nav back and forth to KC this weekend, starting it from the app drawer, and starting it from Google maps, and couldn't cause it to crash. Worked perfectly.

Still very strange that navigation is crashing for you. I ran nav back and forth to KC this weekend, starting it from the app drawer, and starting it from Google maps, and couldn't cause it to crash. Worked perfectly.

It crashes for me as well. It will work for a few minutes then the screen will freeze, while still giving turn by turn information by voice, then the whole thing will just lock up. I can use any other navigation app just fine though.

It crashes for me as well. It will work for a few minutes then the screen will freeze, while still giving turn by turn information by voice, then the whole thing will just lock up. I can use any other navigation app just fine though.

It froze up on my GS3 last night, but my EVO didn't have any problems.... :scratch:

I was actually getting really frustrated with my GS3. The screen kept freezing, it was still running, but frozen. I don't use the voice, it annoys me lol. If I hit the home button and then came back into the program it would work for a bit, but then it would freeze again.

Interesting theory. Maybe you should check the build dates of your friends phones and start to test that theory. Just to start you off. I have a held up at customs on release day EVO and I have had none of the issues that you detail.

Proximity sensor issue has been fised, but now my LTE connections are slower to connect and the USB debug autoconnect issue is still here. I'm still having issues with auto spacing in internet searches. very strange, didn't do that before the JB update. I did a hard reset a while ago just fyi, so i'm lost on this.

i noticed the LTE connection difference as well. i looked into the LTE scan timer and BSR Max timers and noticed they had changed after the maintenence release. i cant remember the values it set when JB was released, but i "think" they were higher with this maintenance release. i set mine back to 1 and 1, and have the same quick connect and long hold time as i did with the original JB release. my wife's takes longer to connect and disconnects easier. i have not changed her settings yet.