BlackBerry 10

wyattwalter

Being completely serious. When someone tells me it has "gingerbread runtime", it definitely sounds like "yet another android fork".

That does help ease my mind. I'm more interested now if it's a separate (obviously ARM-based) architecture with compatibility.

It's running Qualcomm's S4 dual core chip at 1.5 Ghz. The underlying OS is based on QNX, which was bought by BB a few years back. I'm not sure how the runtime works. I think it's a separate component that is updated as needed. Currently it supports android 2.3.3 apps, but BB is going to update to android 4.1 soon.

Again, basically it's there so that BB can boost it's app count until more native BB10 apps are developed.

• Like 1

I believe the Android capabilities of the BB10 come from a replicator to allow it to run Android apps. And that replicator currently is limited to Gingerbread, but BB has promised an ICS upgrade "soon."

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I believe the Android capabilities of the BB10 come from a replicator to allow it to run Android apps. And that replicator currently is limited to Gingerbread, but BB has promised an ICS upgrade "soon."

They're actually skipping ics and going straight to jelly bean.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-android-runtime-be-upgraded-android-41-jelly-bean

• Like 1

It's running Qualcomm's S4 dual core chip at 1.5 Ghz. The underlying OS is based on QNX, which was bought by BB a few years back. I'm not sure how the runtime works. I think it's a separate component that is updated as needed. Currently it supports android 2.3.3 apps, but BB is going to update to android 4.1 soon.

Again, basically it's there so that BB can boost it's app count until more native BB10 apps are developed.

Woah, seriously? I used QNX for a project back in the day, something like 2001. Shows how much I've been keeping tabs on RIM/Blackberry. Hopefully the runtime doesn't have a bunch of overhead from trying to emulate Android APIs or something silly like that.

In other news, I love how ridiculously prolific Unix-alikes have become in the mobile world. iOS has its core in Darwin, Android is Linux, and BB10 is QNX.

Woah, seriously? I used QNX for a project back in the day, something like 2001. Shows how much I've been keeping tabs on RIM/Blackberry. Hopefully the runtime doesn't have a bunch of overhead from trying to emulate Android APIs or something silly like that.

In other news, I love how ridiculously prolific Unix-alikes have become in the mobile world. iOS has its core in Darwin, Android is Linux, and BB10 is QNX.

They bought QNX back in 2009 or 2010. Basically they knew the old java based BB 5/6 just wasn't going to be up to the job they needed. QNX gave them a platform for the future plus since it was already heavily used by the auto industry, it gave them a revenue stream outside of mobile.

• Like 1

They bought QNX back in 2009 or 2010. Basically they knew the old java based BB 5/6 just wasn't going to be up to the job they needed. QNX gave them a platform for the future plus since it was already heavily used by the auto industry, it gave them a revenue stream outside of mobile.

Definitely seems like a smart move on the surface. Hopefully, it ends up better than the ill-fated venture between Sprint and Nextel, heh. And I hope it's not "too little, too late", as people in my market are leaving BB phones in droves for Android and iOS.

Definitely seems like a smart move on the surface. Hopefully, it ends up better than the ill-fated venture between Sprint and Nextel, heh. And I hope it's not "too little, too late", as people in my market are leaving BB phones in droves for Android and iOS.

And that is the big question. Ultimately though they might be able to pull it off. There's probably space for one more major mobile OS. The battle is between Microsoft and BB for that third spot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was oh so close to buying a new Blackberry Z10 on Verizon last night to use as a new work phone. I think it was the 4.2" screen that turned me off. Too small for my big meaty paws.

I think I'm going to wait for the Sprint BB device that was hinted as coming later this year. I really want to put a BB full screen/full size device through our RF testing wringer to see how it does. Now that you can run Android apps when you need to, BB could be a viable contender if it had serious RF performance advantages.

I spent some time going through the CDMA and LTE band RF reports on the FCC OET last night, and the VZW BB Z10 looks to be pretty solid. I would like to see if that ends up being true in real world usage.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

I still have my BB Bold 9930, the last of the "good" blackberry devices, so I'm waiting for the Q10, just to replace this one. But I agree with you Rob, I might hold off, but I don't know if an all touch-blackberry is in my cards. I like having the physical keyboard on my phone.

• Like 1

I toyed around with a Z10. Overall, I like. I wish Sprint had got a Z10, but apparently they are waiting for the next touch screen BlackBerry.

Get a larger screen, better construction like oxidized aluminum, and a Snapdragon 600/800 class processor, and you would have my attention.

I toyed around with a Z10. Overall, I like. I wish Sprint had got a Z10, but apparently they are waiting for the next touch screen BlackBerry.

Get a larger screen, better construction like oxidized aluminum, and a Snapdragon 600/800 class processor, and you would have my attention.

I almost got a VZW Z10. However, it was too small when I held it. I would like something around 4.5" screen, and then I'd be on board. I have big meaty paws. Something smaller than my EVO from 3 years ago just doesn't sound appealing to me. Heck, even the Nexus 4 feels like a small device nowadays, but something I can live with.

I did have a BB9930 and the Playbook combination for a while until I gave up the 9930. Still have the Playbook which is a nice tablet and will get OS10 upgrade this summer about time Sprint should have the Z10 2.0 .

I think I might have a clue as why Sprint waited so long to get there version of the Z10 and it all depends on what deal is closing this summer and the testing Softbank, Clear, Chinese carriers, and some other AsiaPac carriers where doing with LTE Advance and roaming. Remember back about in February when BlackBerry announced that they had made a deal to license LTE Advance from 1 of the makers involved.

Just my 2 cents. But could be worth the wait especially if you travel for business.

I almost got a VZW Z10. However, it was too small when I held it. I would like something around 4.5" screen, and then I'd be on board. I have big meaty paws. Something smaller than my EVO from 3 years ago just doesn't sound appealing to me. Heck, even the Nexus 4 feels like a small device nowadays, but something I can live with.

Robert likes the attention that comes from swinging around his big phone. What was it again that the drive thru attendant said to you when she saw the Note 2?

:P

AJ

• Like 1

Robert likes the attention that comes from swinging around his big phone. What was it again that the drive thru attendant said to you when she saw the Note 2?

:P

AJ

I wish I could apply a witty retort, but what you say is true to life. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wait, BB10 is just a fork of Android? That's kinda...

Next you're gonna tell me it's basically a fancy Touchwiz or Sense, but with Blackberry's market rather than Google Play.

no BB10 is BB's own IP. they have an emulation layer that allows them to run android apps almost like a virtualization layer. Sideloading apps from android to the BB10 isn't that hard and works very well. I wish Sprint wasn't bypassing the z10 though. I've played with a z10 on vz and it's nice..a truly business focused device unlike andriod or IOS.