Change 4G symbol on android devices?

Synovialbasher

They were already on my phone.

So you have Verizon 3G and 4GLTE png files on a Sprint device?  Basically what I am asking is what do the png files needs to look like in order for the phone to recognize it.  Is there a way you can post them.

Can you post a screenshot of what that looks like.

I also changed my incoming and outgoing data arrows to the tmobile ones. They (tmo) were a little bit smaller than the original ones on the phone. The original ones were a bit too large and went up into the 4glte symbol. Side note: when looking at it on my phone and not blown up like this, the lte looks like its written in orange and green it doesn't look covered as it appears so here. YVWBXNX.png

So you have Verizon 3G and 4GLTE png files on a Sprint device?  Basically what I am asking is what do the png files needs to look like in order for the phone to recognize it.  Is there a way you can post them.

You need to go through your phones files and locate the Verizon logos.  The 3G one is the same, but the LTE one is different.  Mine was file:  stat_sys_data_connected_4g_lte.png.  You need to rename this file to the one your phone currently uses.  My phone was originally set to stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png for the standard 4G logo.  You need to rename the stat_sys_data_connected_4g_lte.png to stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png.  That way, it tricks the phone into looking at the Verizon file, since you renamed it as the standard 4G file.

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

Basically, at least how I did it, you change the file names. You don't "make them" per say. What I did was swapped the file names of the one circled in red and the one circled in blue. This is what it looks like when you open up the drawablexxhdpi file in the winrar application. X1ePIyW.png

• Like 1

You need to go through your phones files and locate the Verizon logos.  The 3G one is the same, but the LTE one is different.  Mine was file:  stat_sys_data_connected_4g_lte.png.  You need to rename this file to the one your phone currently uses.  My phone was originally set to stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png for the standard 4G logo.  You need to rename the stat_sys_data_connected_4g_lte.png to stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png.  That way, it tricks the phone into looking at the Verizon file, since you renamed it as the standard 4G file.

Does that make sense?

Yeah.  So it sounds like what you are saying is that the stock SystemUI.apk in the Sprint version contains the 4G LTE icons for other carriers (including Verizon) and you just need to find the LTE png file that matches up to Verizon LTE icon and rename that file to be stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png

Basically, at least how I did it, you change the file names. You don't "make them" per say. What I did was swapped the file names of the one circled in red and the one circled in blue. This is what it looks like when you open up the drawablexxhdpi file in the winrar application. X1ePIyW.png

AHHHHH makes total sense.  I didn't know the SystemUI.apk contained the LTE icons for all the other major carriers. 

Yeah.  So it sounds like what you are saying is that the stock SystemUI.apk in the Sprint version contains the 4G LTE logos for other carriers (including Verizon) and you just need to find the LTE png file that matches up to Verizon logo and rename that file to be stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png

exactly.

Tried doing it like that and can't make it stick. Replace my SystemUI.apk and nothing changes. Seems like everyone here is using galaxy phones. Anyone besides me try on HTC and get it to stick?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Tried doing it like that and can't make it stick. Replace my SystemUI.apk and nothing changes. Seems like everyone here is using galaxy phones. Anyone besides me try on HTC and get it to stick?

So are you sure you renamed the correct file and rebooted?  I assumed you used Root Explorer to replace the SystemUI.apk file after you made the changes.

I also changed my incoming and outgoing data arrows to the tmobile ones. They (tmo) were a little bit smaller than the original ones on the phone. The original ones were a bit too large and went up into the 4glte symbol. Side note: when looking at it on my phone and not blown up like this, the lte looks like its written in orange and green it doesn't look covered as it appears so here. YVWBXNX.png

That's the data in and out arrows.  The Sprint device is designed to use the Sprint 3G/4G icons, so it by default has the signal in and out placed underneath where the 3G/4G is.  AT&T have their own data in/out and it's like signal waves that go in and out from the top right part of the icon.  The Sprint phone doesn't have the XML to animate that.  You can definitely get away with Verizon's logo, or resizing AT&T's logo to be smaller and fit where the Sprint 3g/4g go.

Well apparently its much tougher to edit the SystemUI.apk file on Wimax phones (particularly on the Moto Photon).  Mucked with trying to swap an alternate set of 4G Wimax icons that were available in the SystemUI.apk file but when I replaced it (even made sure the permissions were the same), I couldn't get the status bar to show up.  Weird.  But then again I had to rename like 10 files in the SystemUI.apk file since it was broken down a lot more on Wimax phones.  Don't know why the status bar doesn't appear since I didn't edit any files from there.

That's the data in and out arrows.  The Sprint device is designed to use the Sprint 3G/4G icons, so it by default has the signal in and out placed underneath where the 3G/4G is.  AT&T have their own data in/out and it's like signal waves that go in and out from the top right part of the icon.  The Sprint phone doesn't have the XML to animate that.  You can definitely get away with Verizon's logo, or resizing AT&T's logo to be smaller and fit where the Sprint 3g/4g go.

Isn't that what I said, data arrows? I saw the AT&T ones inside the drawablexxhdpi file but I didn't try to enable them because I didn't like how they looked. Good thing I didn't attempt to use them because as you said they won't work.

What about the Tmobile LTE icon?  I think the Tmobile LTE icon looks pretty nice along with the Verizon one. Anything is better than Sprint's "4G" icon.

What about the Tmobile LTE icon? I think the Tmobile LTE icon looks pretty nice along with the Verizon one. Anything is better than Sprint's "4G" icon.

My T-Mobile LTE icon just says "4G" on my Nexus 4. ;)

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My T-Mobile LTE icon just says "4G" on my Nexus 4. ;)

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Well the Nexus series doesn't have the 4G LTE icons because stock Android doesn't have such lingo.  But I know the Tmobile GS4 and Note 2 have it for sure.

It should look like this.

Tmobile LTE icon.jpg

Well the Nexus series doesn't have the 4G LTE icons because stock Android doesn't have such lingo. But I know the Tmobile GS4 and Note 2 have it for sure.

It should look like this.

Yeah, that one should work. :P

You just gotta find it and replace the Sprint default one in systemUI.

Yeah, that one should work. :P

You just gotta find it and replace the Sprint default one in systemUI.

Yes I am definitely going to do this when I get a LTE phone...probably the Note 3.  I prefer the Verizon LTE logo but the Tmobile LTE logo isn't too bad.

I finally figured it out on my evo. You have to change the ones that start cdma_sys instead of the sys_data ones. Might be the same for others as well

Yes I am definitely going to do this when I get a LTE phone...probably the Note 3. I prefer the Verizon LTE logo but the Tmobile LTE logo isn't too bad.

Meh, I'd be tempted to just make my own. Lol choose a nice font and size it perfectly and boom.

I made a concept a few pages back for Sprint but I haven't touched it in a long time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Meh, I'd be tempted to just make my own. Lol choose a nice font and size it perfectly and boom.

I made a concept a few pages back for Sprint but I haven't touched it in a long time.

Got bored and had some free time so I decided to take a shot at making a custom Sprint one for GS3's MD4 ROM (stock).

Screenshot_2013-10-10-02-34-56.png

EDIT: Something about the italic I like.  I don't know why but you'll probably see Italic logos from me whenever I make my own. LOL

• Like 4

Got bored and had some free time so I decided to take a shot at making a custom Sprint one for GS3's MD4 ROM (stock).

Posted Image

EDIT: Something about the italic I like. I don't know why but you'll probably see Italic logos from me whenever I make my own. LOL

Excellent! Good work. I like it.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I think those status icons look good. Awesome job. I agree that the italics look good. Perhaps it makes it look faster? I am pretty sure the pinstripes on my Civic hybrid add a little more pep in the high rpm range. The butt dyno never lies.

• Like 1

EDIT: Something about the italic I like.  I don't know why but you'll probably see Italic logos from me whenever I make my own. LOL

Looks good. Only recommendation I would do is to flip the EVDO and 3G on the 3G icon.  I like being able to see a difference between the two icons with a quick glance without having to actually look to see if it's a 3 or 4.  That's why I like the 3G and LTE icon I have now.  The LTE is wider than the 3G letters.