Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 upgrade

MacinJosh

Galaxy Nexus owners, the 4.2.1 official upgrade is coming soon!

It's already available for download from Google's own servers too.

According to users on Android Central, it has helped with the 3G/1X service quality too!

Update file is located here!

Source: Phone Arena

Been running 4.2.1 for a while now and it runs great but I am really starting to hate my nexus. I thought battery life was pretty bad when it was running ICS but battery performance on JB is even worse.

Been running 4.2.1 for a while now and it runs great but I am really starting to hate my nexus. I thought battery life was pretty bad when it was running ICS but battery performance on JB is even worse.

4.2.1 custom ROM's were draining my battery too much so I went back to stock rooted, but hopefully the official update will help. Otherwise I hope tech support over the phone will help me get a GS3 for all the trouble I've had with phones for the last year.

Is it available OTA yet?

I was in about Rustin, Louisiana recently, terrible Sprint service when I had it and terrible roaming on the Nexus when I didn't.

It roamed on Verizon/Alltel (it said). The battery went flat within a few hours, terrible, even with Data sync disabled.

The next day I put the phone into home Sprint service only, so it didn't roam. After about 16 hours, the battery was at 53%, I didn't use the phone once, not even look at the screen.

I had my work phone, AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 with me, I used that a lot, after 16 hours, the battery was at 93%.

I'm also very disappointed in the Nexus phone, the second Samsung Nexus, the 2nd junk one, the first being the S 4G.

Edited by JoeJoeJoe

I downloaded it last week and just fastbooted the GA02 radios to go with my CM10.1 builds. The combo has been running fine. I might actually flash the full GA02 build when I have the time to see if the battery draining GPS lock bug in most of the 4.2.1 roms is fixed.

The next day I put the phone into home Sprint service only, so it didn't roam. After about 16 hours, the battery was at 53%, I didn't use the phone once, not even look at the screen.

I had my work phone, AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 with me, I used that a lot, after 16 hours, the battery was at 93%.

~32 hours of standby battery life? That... sounds about right for Android, in my experience. It can be gotten higher on most devices, but it takes some work.

Are you familiar with an app called "BetterBatteryStats"? If you're the DIY type, Google it and learn about wakelocks and whatnot.

Screenshot or it didn't happen.

Also, watch the rants. Rants of any sort are not allowed here.

• 2 weeks later...

My decommissioned GNex got updated around 6am CST this morning. Works nice, almost as good as my GNex GSM, its good to have the 4.2.1 features/improvements (Project Butter, slightly improved camera app, slicker notification pull down, etc), though I lose a decent stock clock widget and BW's toggle of Airplane mode.

Can't comment if the battery life is improved since it is decom-ed from the network - only wifi is enabled. If one really needs to know, it was fully charged this morning, and now I see it at 73%, but its been sitting at home, loney and somewhat unused (other than getting my low volume gmail and gv msgs throughout today).

Too bad an update like this can't fix its radio problems. <_<

My decommissioned GNex got updated around 6am CST this morning. Works nice, almost as good as my GNex GSM, its good to have the 4.2.1 features/improvements (Project Butter, slightly improved camera app, slicker notification pull down, etc), though I lose a decent stock clock widget and BW's toggle of Airplane mode.

Can't comment if the battery life is improved since it is decom-ed from the network - only wifi is enabled. If one really needs to know, it was fully charged this morning, and now I see it at 73%, but its been sitting at home, loney and somewhat unused (other than getting my low volume gmail and gv msgs throughout today).

Too bad an update like this can't fix its radio problems. <_<

According to people on Android Central, it has fixed some of the radio issues.

Edit: I finally am getting the update downloading to my phone! I'm so happy!

Edited by MacinJosh
  • Like 1

Really...okay, when my honeymooning days are over for my new GN2, then I'll switch over for a bit (or when a need is there, e.g. vacation or business trip) to the GNex...its updated, its ready, just needs to be back on my account and active.

Did you get it yet?

Would someone with a GNex in an LTE area mind trying out my signal detector app to see if it will report the LTE serving cell IDs you're connected to? Details are in this thread: http://s4gru.com/ind...tation-tracker/

In the app, if you have an LTE connection and the code works, under/next to "LTE Cell ID" you should have two values separated by a space: a hexadecimal number ending in 01, 02, or 03 (which is unique within the Sprint network for a specific sector) and the physical cell ID (a decimal number between 0 and 503).

Thanks!

Would someone with a GNex in an LTE area mind trying out my signal detector app to see if it will report the LTE serving cell IDs you're connected to? Details are in this thread: http://s4gru.com/ind...tation-tracker/

In the app' date=' if you have an LTE connection and the code works, under/next to "LTE Cell ID" you should have two values separated by a space: a hexadecimal number ending in 01, 02, or 03 (which is unique within the Sprint network for a specific sector) and the physical cell ID (a decimal number between 0 and 503).

Thanks![/quote']

I will download it tonight, and if I can't get to LA tomorrow morning, I'll try it the next weekend when I go down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Galaxy Nexus owners, the 4.2.1 official upgrade is coming soon!

It's already available for download from Google's own servers too.

According to users on Android Central, it has helped with the 3G/1X service quality too!

Update file is located here!

Source: Phone Arena

how do you install this manually?

I'm not sure. I never really understood the instructions that I read on Android Central. I got the update pushed to my phone finally.

I forced the update on 2 phones by, stopping the Google Framework services app, clearing its data, dial the *#*#checkin#*#* number. enable framework app. dial checkin again.

Works for me, it might take a few tries.

I forced the update on 2 phones by, stopping the Google Framework services app, clearing its data, dial the *#*#checkin#*#* number. enable framework app. dial checkin again.

Works for me, it might take a few tries.

what's the checkin number? is it device specific?