SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

You would be correct. You are connected pci 339 and in the notes below it is seeing pci 170. So yes it's different sectors.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

how does it know its the same site? GCI?

how does it know its the same site? GCI?

Yes, SCP records PCIs and their corresponding GCIs, so when a neighboring cell comes up, it looks for nearby PCIs that share the same GCI. I suspect if you move around that tower, you find a sector with PCI 170.

The neighbor cells don't know the GCI only the PCI. It looks for the closest PCI if there is a name that is the name you see it maybe wrong though. If there are 2 sites with the same PCI in the area one of the sites will change their PCI to a PCI that the site can't see.

Names in the neighbor cells don't really mean all that much they are just a guess based on best available information. 

The neighbor cells don't know the GCI only the PCI. It looks for the closest PCI if there is a name that is the name you see it maybe wrong though. If there are 2 sites with the same PCI in the area one of the sites will change their PCI to a PCI that the site can't see.

Names in the neighbor cells don't really mean all that much they are just a guess based on best available information. 

That's what I was trying to say, but you said it better :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

In SCP, I just saw B413 for the first time yesterday (I'm in the Cleveland, OH area).  When Sprint adds more B41 channels (4, 5,6, etc), would SCP have to be updated to for it to know that it's the 4th, 5th, etc channel?

In SCP, I just saw B413 for the first time yesterday (I'm in the Cleveland, OH area).  When Sprint adds more B41 channels (4, 5,6, etc), would SCP have to be updated to for it to know that it's the 4th, 5th, etc channel?

Probably.  Don't expect to be needing it for quite a while though.

I just noticed 2nd carrier B25 does not display correctly in iowa city. It may be wrong in all samsung markets. 00/01/02 is first carrier 03/04/05 is second just like B41. Which makes 03 difficult due to it being both 1st and 2nd carrier depending where you are.

I just noticed 2nd carrier B25 does not display correctly in iowa city. It may be wrong in all samsung markets. 00/01/02 is first carrier 03/04/05 is second just like B41. Which makes 03 difficult due to it being both 1st and 2nd carrier depending where you are.

I could be wrong but I think the Columbus market is 6/7/8....,

Maybe different regions and different crews?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Columbus is that way either because it is a 10x10 carrier or because it is the second 2nd carrier in the same market. Central IL is the same way.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The confusion is why I don't like Samsung using such close sectors when they want to show something is different. Just look at what the triband B41 sectors. what are they going to do when 4th/5th/6th carrier starts to roll out. It is going to confuse people if SCP was labeling them 4th carrier when they are only second carrier.

only the 03 B25 sector doesn't identify as the 2nd B25 carrier. This is because in Ericsson markets they use 01/02/03 for their first set of carriers where the other markets use 00/01/02. signal check can't determine what market you are in so it just defaults as showing 03 sectors as regular B25. the 04 and 05 sectors should show as B25^2. 

The confusion is why I don't like Samsung using such close sectors when they want to show something is different. Just look at what the triband B41 sectors. what are they going to do when 4th/5th/6th carrier starts to roll out. It is going to confuse people if SCP was labeling them 4th carrier when they are only second carrier.

I think the real issue is when real markets are used rather than virtual (just the first three lettets of the gci). On going maintenance for SCP would also be great!

only the 03 B25 sector doesn't identify as the 2nd B25 carrier. This is because in Ericsson markets they use 01/02/03 for their first set of carriers where the other markets use 00/01/02. signal check can't determine what market you are in so it just defaults as showing 03 sectors as regular B25. the 04 and 05 sectors should show as B25^2.

But SCP can see if it's a samsung market look at B41. :) Mike just forgot to put it to use in B25.

Edit:On second thought with the others using 3x for B41 maybe mike isn't using the pm I sent him but there is still an easy way to tell if it is a samsung.

I think the real issue is when real markets are used rather than virtual (just the first three lettets of the gci). On going maintenance for SCP would also be great!

Real markets are only used in Ericsson where it is tied to the site id first letters. ALU and samsung the first 3 numbers in the gci are tied to the sprint markets layouts.

• 3 weeks later...

Next time you are seeing it happen, please send a diagnostic report from within the app (About > Send Diagnostics). I'd like to see what's going on behind the scenes. Please be sure to include a brief mention of why you are sending it -- I get hundreds of reports and it's hard to keep track.

-Mike

im still wondering if this ever going to be fixed? It still shows band 25 on boost when on clear band 41.

I'm in the Phoenix area, and I have Project Fi.  I noticed a few months ago that it was showing Band 12 on T-Mobile in Phoenix.  That was not even possible until at least last week when TV channel 51 moved to 31.  Do you know how accurate the band determination is on a Nexus 5X?  I wanted to keep an eye out for when Band 12 is acutally released here, but I know I have to have some false positive information.  Is there an engineering screen like there is when I am on Sprint(* # * # DEBUG # * # *)?

I'm in the Phoenix area, and I have Project Fi.  I noticed a few months ago that it was showing Band 12 on T-Mobile in Phoenix.  That was not even possible until at least last week when TV channel 51 moved to 31.  Do you know how accurate the band determination is on a Nexus 5X?  I wanted to keep an eye out for when Band 12 is acutally released here, but I know I have to have some false positive information.  Is there an engineering screen like there is when I am on Sprint(* # * # DEBUG # * # *)?

B12 is not always accurate on T-Mobile Ericsson markets, because Ericsson does not always stick to the GCI number conventions for bands.

Robert

• Like 1

Picked up a Galaxy Tab E, some of the system shortcuts don't work.

Data/EPST and Debug/Engineering give a Toast notification "Screens may note be available on this device"

Looking at the System Apps, IOTHiddenMenu exists, however, I can't get it to launch with a Shortcut app.  There is a metric ton of things under IOTHiddenMenu including Debug, CAEnabled, etc.

Had to go into the Calculator and enter a string to launch DRParser Mode, from there I was able to use codes to access Debug and Data :)

• Like 1

Picked up a Galaxy Tab E, some of the system shortcuts don't work.

Data/EPST and Debug/Engineering give a Toast notification "Screens may note be available on this device"

Looking at the System Apps, IOTHiddenMenu exists, however, I can't get it to launch with a Shortcut app.  There is a metric ton of things under IOTHiddenMenu including Debug, CAEnabled, etc.

Had to go into the Calculator and enter a string to launch DRParser Mode, from there I was able to use codes to access Debug and Data :)

That is the Samsung generic service mode.  As far as I know, SignalCheck Pro system shortcuts point only to the Sprint specific engineering screens present on some handsets.

By the way, I think that mikejeep may be done with SignalCheck Pro.  It has not been updated in six months.  And he no longer maintains a presence in this thread.

AJ

Unfortunately, this seems to be true.

Sent from my SM-N930P2 using Tapatalk

We had a good run, he is a busy man we should all be thankful we had something like this for as long as we did. Thanks Mike! Let's hope we're wrong however and he is just busy.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If he is too busy, maybe he would partner with someone else to keep it going. A lot of us enjoy his app and use it often.

• Like 4

If he is too busy, maybe he would partner with someone else to keep it going. A lot of us enjoy his app and use it often.

If that's what it comes down to then that would be great if we have capable people here willing to work on it.

• Like 1