SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Yes and there is no WiFi calling on Sprint.....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Many Sprint phones have WiFi calling... Sprint is giving away the Asus WiFi connect to offload phone calls and data off the network.

Many Sprint phones have WiFi calling... Sprint is giving away the Asus WiFi connect to offload phone calls and data off the network.

I should have specified, I don't believe the nexus 6 supports WiFi calling, on Sprint.

• Like 1

I should have specified, I don't believe the nexus 6 supports WiFi calling, on Sprint.

This is what's really bothering me about the potential purchase for the upcoming Nexus 5 2015.  Without WiFi calling support, it's a non-starter for me.  I rely on that too much! 

This is what's really bothering me about the potential purchase for the upcoming Nexus 5 2015. Without WiFi calling support, it's a non-starter for me. I rely on that too much!

From what I have been told, apparently the problem is that Sprint uses a non-standard method of WiFi Calling protocol, that is not supported by the Nexus 6.

From what I have been told, apparently the problem is that Sprint uses a non-standard method of WiFi Calling protocol, that is not supported by the Nexus 6.

Curious if this missing calls issue in network related by location...... I'm in NY,BTW. Where are you located? And how many others do you know of are having this issue?

Curious if this missing calls issue in network related by location...... I'm in NY,BTW. Where are you located? And how many others do you know of are having this issue?

I am in the VA/DC/MD area, and I live and work in NoVA.

My understanding, from Google searches and comments from friends, is that the 'Missing Calls While On WiFi and LTE' is a Sprint issue that has existed since the Nexus 6 debuted.

As for the lack of WiFi Calling, that is a completely separate issue, and is related to Sprint using some sort of technology, for their WiFi Calling, that was not the technology that T-Mo and other carriers adopted. So Google and Motorola decided to go with the most popular WiFi Calling technology.

The situation is somewhat similar to the situation when Sprint decided to go with WiMax instead of the more accepted LTE. My personal belief is that, just like the WiMax vs LTE, at some point Sprint will get on-board with the WiFi Calling technology that all of the other carriers are using, and then the Nexus line of phones will be able to use WiFi Calling on Sprint.

Why are my site notes disapearing when they are in the neighbor cell list?  PCI 465 has been recorded and it will show me the site note when my phone connects to that site but will not show up in the neighbor cell list.

Screenshot_2015-08-24-10-59-05.png

• Like 1

There must be a closer pci 465 in your logs with no note that is one of the problems with nieghbor cells. It's just a guess based on closest pci. Check your logs for a pci with a different gci(or Null) with the note blank.

This is what's really bothering me about the potential purchase for the upcoming Nexus 5 2015.  Without WiFi calling support, it's a non-starter for me.  I rely on that too much! 

You can always use the Hangouts dialer. 

You can always use the Hangouts dialer. 

Not the same.  I use WiFi calling when I'm working in a deep basement (research building) to text or call.  WiFi calling allows that to happen without altering those that contact me preferences (ie, not using Hangouts, just using their text).  I've tried, there's just no hope.  Google Voice incorporation is inadequate as well as MMS are still a shoddy mess.  WiFi calling and using Textra (or native SMS/MMS app) for MMS/SMS and just regular phone calls is heavily preferred. 

Also, there is 0 (zero) signal down there (barely 1 bar roaming) and without WiFi calling enabled, my battery dies extremely fast.  I'm not going to toggle the mobile network when I go down there.  Just setting WiFi calling and forgetting it, is the best.  

I shouldn't have to use hangouts or toggle anything anytime anywhere. I would just like the service that I am paying for to work properly... If the nexus 6 is flawed that much Sprint should not be selling the device at all until the missed calls issue is fixed. They don't tell you at the store oh by the way you have to use hangouts dialer to receive calls when on LTE and WiFi at the same time. Or BTW when you get home make sure to toggle 3g or you not going to get calls ever! It's complete BS!

Why are my site notes disapearing when they are in the neighbor cell list? PCI 465 has been recorded and it will show me the site note when my phone connects to that site but will not show up in the neighbor cell list.

Flompholph hit it on the head.. I'll quote him again for good measure since I get similar questions often:

There must be a closer pci 465 in your logs with no note that is one of the problems with nieghbor cells. It's just a guess based on closest pci. Check your logs for a pci with a different gci(or Null) with the note blank.

Also, could we take the off-topic discussions about WiFi calling/N5/N6/etc elsewhere? There have been several posts in here over the past week or so that have no connection to SignalCheck. This thread is big enough already. Thanks!

-Mike

• Like 8

Also, could we take the off-topic discussions about WiFi calling/N5/N6/etc elsewhere? There have been several posts in here over the past week or so that have no connection to SignalCheck. This thread is big enough already. Thanks!

-Mike

Mike,

I personally apologize for contributing to the hijacking of your thread.

Honestly, being on Tapatalk, when I was responding to comments about the Nexus 6, I wasn't aware that the thread was your Signal Check thread, until I looked at the title.

I, personally will be more respectful in the future.

Just switched to a note 4 from my iPhone 6 since work had an old demo laying around. I have always used Signalcheck on my phones since it first came out and would like to continue to do so. My main issue with the note is that if I have the notification bar icons turned on it shows on my lock screen which then makes my clock tiny and takes up one of the available notification spots. Is there anyway to keep the icons to keep track of what network I'm on but not have the notification on the lock screen?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Anyone have any idea on this? I deactivated the phone for a few days and am now back on it. Would really like to know if this is an app setting I can change or if the note just has an issue with persistent notifications.

Anyone have any idea on this? I deactivated the phone for a few days and am now back on it. Would really like to know if this is an app setting I can change or if the note just has an issue with persistent notifications.

There is no easy fix. You can turn off notification in SCP or turn off all notification for the lock screen.

To turn off notification in settings-> Sounds and notifications->Notifications on lock screen. Maybe in the future Android will add hide from lock screen in the Application notification part of settings. But I don't see how you can block just one app in the lock screen yet.

• Like 1

It's a Lollipop feature.. but you either get the lock screen and status bar notification, or neither. They didn't create an option for developers to allow one or the other. I'm testing a workaround that might solve it, but it needs some more work on my end. It's more of a hack than a workaround.

-Mike

• Like 1

It's a Lollipop feature.. but you either get the lock screen and status bar notification, or neither. They didn't create an option for developers to allow one or the other. I'm testing a workaround that might solve it, but it needs some more work on my end. It's more of a hack than a workaround.

-Mike

Lollipop has special visibility designators for the secure lockscreen. You can use setVisibility with VISIBILITY_SECRET to completely hide the notification on secure lockscreens. Not helpful if the lockscreen isn't secure, but it's almost there.

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/notifiers/notifications.html#lockscreenNotification

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/support/v4/app/NotificationCompat.html#VISIBILITY_SECRET

Lollipop has special visibility designators for the secure lockscreen. You can use setVisibility with VISIBILITY_SECRET to completely hide the notification on secure lockscreens. Not helpful if the lockscreen isn't secure, but it's almost there.

Yep, that's as close as you can get right now. But that also hides it from the status bar on the lock screen, which was generally disliked by a group I was talking about it with. But I do plan to throw that in as an option as a placeholder until I can find a better solution.

-Mike

• Like 1

Yep, that's as close as you can get right now. But that also hides it from the status bar on the lock screen, which was generally disliked by a group I was talking about it with. But I do plan to throw that in as an option as a placeholder until I can find a better solution.

-Mike

I assume you mean in <5.0. I didn't know that was the behavior when lockscreen notifications weren't in play.

I got my girlfriend switched from an old iPhone to a more recent Android handset, and I got her to purchase SignalCheck Pro.  How much is my kickback?

;)

AJ

• Like 5

I got my girlfriend switched from an old iPhone to a more recent Android handset, and I got her to purchase SignalCheck Pro.  How much is my kickback?

;)

AJ

Next time he sees you, Mike will give you a great big smooch!

• Like 1

I got my girlfriend switched from an old iPhone to a more recent Android handset, and I got her to purchase SignalCheck Pro. How much is my kickback?

;)

AJ

Just don't have her do any Speedtests.... [emoji23]

• Like 4