SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

is it normal for the note 3 to show N/A under provider?

As someone else mentioned, some devices require mobile location services to be enabled. Go to your Note 3's Settings menu, the Location, and ensure that the option for mobile networks is enabled. Post a screenshot of the app if that doesn't work.

-Mike

I usually give it a few days to make sure there are no major bugs that I missed. If there are bugs, I fix them, send out a new beta, and make sure that one is good. I test every update on 4 of my own devices before it even becomes a beta. I'm crazy-busy these days so it also depends on when I have time to do it. I know you want in on it.. I keep the crew to a manageable number for a few reasons though. Be patient, it'll be worth the wait.. ;)

No worries, I understand why you want to keep it small.  But you know what they say, if you don't ask, you can't get a positive answer. :)

I know it will be worth the wait, I'm just champing at the bit to get it!  Any chance of screenshots showing new functionality maybe? ;)

- Trip

• Like 1

2) You can access the raw sqlite database at /data/data/com.blueline.SignalCheck/databases/signalcheck_log.db. Most devices require root permissions to access this folder.

Just noticed this.  Why not store the database on a non-root part of the phone's storage?  Does Android require it?  I would be fine with editing the database on my computer if I could get to it.

- Trip

• Like 2

I am still trying to figure out why Android L hates SignalCheck.. there won't be a fix in this update, but it's the next thing in the pipeline.

-Mike

Wait and see if the updated preview restores compatibility

Just noticed this.  Why not store the database on a non-root part of the phone's storage?  Does Android require it?  I would be fine with editing the database on my computer if I could get to it.

The default location for app databases is within the app's own data folder, which is typically locked down by default. When I started implementing the database functions, I tried using a custom location, but it did not work well because the folder structure of each device is different. I am working on import/export stuff to handle this, but I will make a note to try and revisit putting the database somewhere as well, now that I have learned a lot more about it.

-Mike

• Like 4

loving the new update so far, thanks!

just had a quick question on the neighboring cells function, will it only show the site note for a listed PCI once it has actually connected to that site? That's how it appears to work, just wanted to confirm.

thanks!

Mike, FYI, the app does not appear to show Band 41 on the Galaxy Note 4.

I do see Band 26.

The fix for band 41 he said was in beta. I am also looking forward to the fix in the next update.

Mike i am having issues on the note 4 with the gci showing as blank for a few seconds when i change sectors. It is probably just the app detects change in pci and looks for a gci before it is written into gci memory by the phone. Gci and tac shows up a few seconds later.

The fix for band 41 he said was in beta. I am also looking forward to the fix in the next update.

Mike i am having issues on the note 4 with the gci showing as blank for a few seconds when i change sectors. It is probably just the app detects change in pci and looks for a gci before it is written into gci memory by the phone. Gci and tac shows up a few seconds later.

The B41 identification in the beta version is proving to work great, huge improvement! Happy to have cleared that hurdle at last. Your GCI delay might just be how that radio functions. The app shows everything it can in realtime. If you can take a video capture of it, I can see if its something I can improve.

I connected to B26 like two hours for a few seconds and SCP is still showing Sprint B26 next to ehrpd now.

I believe this was a bug that's fixed in the update in testing now.

-Mike

• Like 1

just had a quick question on the neighboring cells function, will it only show the site note for a listed PCI once it has actually connected to that site? That's how it appears to work, just wanted to confirm.

I am working on documentation to clarify a lot of the questions with the new features, but here's the jist of it:

Right now, the app only saves PCI and TAC values when the Site Logger is running. I'm going to change it to save them when editing a site note as well. It wasn't an issue until I added the neighbor cells info, because..

Neighbor cells only report PCI, so SCP shows site notes that match that PCI and the current TAC. It's not perfect, because it might actually be a neighbor cell that has a different TAC. But my options are limited because neighbor cells do not report anything else, and PCIs are reused across markets.

-Mike

Your GCI delay might just be how that radio functions. The app shows everything it can in realtime. If you can take a video capture of it, I can see if its something I can improve.

-Mike

It looks like it is a device issue I just looked at my Signal Detector log over half did not have GCI but did save a log with PCI. I had SCP and Signal Detector side by side (multi tasking bubbles are neat on the note 4) I thought I saw the GCI showing in Signal Detector but I must have been mistaken. At least I seen a few pittsburgh band 41 GCI in the log hopefully I am not missing to many seeing all of those blank GCI.

Edit:I was able to take a screenshot with signal detector showing gci. What is neat it still shows band 26 for scp with no gci showing. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2rmy4pouh7okf6/Screenshot_2014-10-19-10-57-50.png

This is the only weirdness I've seen so far in the lollipop preview. It happens when I have the WiFi on but not connected to a network. I'll send a diagnostic.

Got your report.. I don't think I've ever had any WiFi bugs, so there isn't any WiFi diagnostic information, oops! Does it stay at -127 RSSI? That is probably the issue; until now, Android reported -140 dBm when WiFi was disconnected. In fact, -140 was a magic number for most networking technologies, but it looks like that is out the window with Lollipop.

-Mike

Hey Mike any word on when you will possibly be releasing a next version of this?  Just curious.  Any luck with getting the app to decipher from B25 and B41?  

Kevin

I am working on documentation to clarify a lot of the questions with the new features, but here's the jist of it:

Right now, the app only saves PCI and TAC values when the Site Logger is running. I'm going to change it to save them when editing a site note as well. It wasn't an issue until I added the neighbor cells info, because..

Neighbor cells only report PCI, so SCP shows site notes that match that PCI and the current TAC. It's not perfect, because it might actually be a neighbor cell that has a different TAC. But my options are limited because neighbor cells do not report anything else, and PCIs are reused across markets.

-Mike

Any chance of becoming a beta tester for your app?

Kevin

Hey Mike any word on when you will possibly be releasing a next version of this? Just curious. Any luck with getting the app to decipher from B25 and B41?

Kevin

The newest version is in beta testing now. I would imagine later this week if things go well. If you look back a few post he state what has been included in the update.
  • Like 2

Hey Mike any word on when you will possibly be releasing a next version of this? Just curious. Any luck with getting the app to decipher from B25 and B41?

As Tim would say: Soon™ :)

There are a few minor glitches in the beta that I am ironing out now. Barring any further issues, I anticipate a public update by the end of this week. The new version has been a rockstar in testing and seems to identify B41 near-flawlessly now. Keep an eye on the website for the full list of changes, I keep it updated as development progresses: http://bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/change-log

Any chance of becoming a beta tester for your app?

I am set for now, but I sincerely appreciate your interest.. and everyone else's who has been asking! I prefer to keep the beta crew to a manageable number for a few reasons. I know its hard to wait, but it's almost ready.. :)

-Mike

• Like 2

It looks like it is a device issue I just looked at my Signal Detector log over half did not have GCI but did save a log with PCI. I had SCP and Signal Detector side by side (multi tasking bubbles are neat on the note 4) I thought I saw the GCI showing in Signal Detector but I must have been mistaken...

Edit:I was able to take a screenshot with signal detector showing gci. What is neat it still shows band 26 for scp with no gci showing.

Something is wrong with either SCP or SD, because they are showing different PCIs. Do you have access to your LTE engineering screen? I'd like to see what that would show in comparison with the two apps.. although those have issues sometimes as well.

The B26 indicator might be incorrect and still showing because it hadn't identified the new connection yet. That's a bug fixed in the upcoming version.

-Mike

Something is wrong with either SCP or SD, because they are showing different PCIs. Do you have access to your LTE engineering screen? I'd like to see what that would show in comparison with the two apps.. although those have issues sometimes as well.

The B26 indicator might be incorrect and still showing because it hadn't identified the new connection yet. That's a bug fixed in the upcoming version.

-Mike

I wouldn't worry about PCI the engineering screen is about a 1/8 of a second faster and a small difference in time for SCP and SD. I just took the screenshot in between the sector change.

The reason I think it was showing band 26 is because it was just connected to band 26 and the missing GCI means there was nothing to send through your band25 or band26 code so it just stayed band 26 That is unless a null GCI is suppose to just show "sprint" then I don't know but its not your issue it is Samsung's with their disappearing GCI and it's not a major issuse just neat.

Feature request: Something to think about is a screenshot button maybe by the gear on the top right. I also think you can control the size of the screenshot. 

• Like 2

I am loving the LTE Neighboring Cells feature!

What does it do?