Network Vision/LTE - Western & Central Pennsylvania Markets (Lancaster, Scranton, Erie, State College, Williamsport)

jeremyandrew

The Scranton area should begin full build sites in the next few weeks, which will bring LTE.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Robert,

Is this true for Wilkes Barre PA also?

Robert,

Is this true for Wilkes Barre PA also?

Yes.  In my mind, Scranton area is ubiquitous in including Wilkes-Barre.  Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Robert

Yes.  In my mind, Scranton area is ubiquitous in including Wilkes-Barre.  Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Robert

Over the past few months I have seen major improvements to the 3g speeds in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton area. The voice coverage has not improved to much and still have problems when inside of most buildings. I have been to a few area that Network Vision has been started and it is a completely different experience. Can't wait :)

• Like 1

I am curious about the DuBois, PA, Clearfield, PA areas of West/Central PA.  When I visit the Sprint Vision upgrade site, I see they are working on about 16+ sites out here.  But, no actual detail other than that.  

Are they anticipating extending 3/4G/LTE to this area as well?

LTE is live in Lewistown

I believe that is Shentel territory if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT - It is, which makes sense given that Sprint is nowhere near lighting up LTE in the Western PA market.

Just made it to my folks just west of Erie and was hoping for some EVDO but alas its still only broadcasting 1xRTT.  I was hoping they would have upgraded the backhaul by now considering these were the first sites upgraded in this market.  Oh well....

• 3 weeks later...

Also, I was in Palmerton last weekend.  I never realized how lacking that area of Carbon County is.  In almost all of Palmerton I was roaming.  Checked out Sprint's coverage map....no native coverage in Palmerton.  Lots of areas north of the Lehigh Tunnel on the NE Extension never even got 3G.  They have their work cut out for them!

Just made it to my folks just west of Erie and was hoping for some EVDO but alas its still only broadcasting 1xRTT.  I was hoping they would have upgraded the backhaul by now considering these were the first sites upgraded in this market.  Oh well....

I have Iphone 4s using a Sprint phone in Erie,pa now is kind of like having a ipod touch with a contract.You get unlimited nothing now.

• 3 weeks later...

Erie was a part of an sprint affiliate company for years, they never gave it much love, and when sprint fully bought them they got a network that only had 3G to the city limits & piss poor 1x coverage around the highways. the whole thing needs work, and network vision should help, but gmo will only work with PCS spectrum & not give the benefits of 800mhz for a while... And they desperately need it. I think they have too few customers there to justify pumping in money, and its not like three are a huge amount of customers there to gain. But with the college's there, there are many students from other areas that would take advantage of sprint & I think they should make more of a move there... But what do I know, I only majored in economics...

Sprint's coverage maps are now showing the old iPCS areas in Western/Central PA as being EVDO covered. If anyone can check this out, it would be much appreciated. I've been waiting for this, looks like they show all of I80 being covered.

Sprint's coverage maps are now showing the old iPCS areas in Western/Central PA as being EVDO covered. If anyone can check this out, it would be much appreciated. I've been waiting for this, looks like they show all of I80 being covered.

Along the I 84 corridor between New York State and Scranton, sensorly maps are somewhat accurate as of this week. I was traveling from Milford to State College, and had 3G along I-84. A few towers are not yet activated for EVDO, but most have the equipment. along I 81, as this is Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, there is 3G coverage. However, once I got on I-80, I was 1x all the way until State College, with maybe a glimpse of 3G near Milton. The sensorly map is accurate as of this past weekend. 

On a side note, T-Mobile has activated LTE in State College, Scranton and Wilkes Barre. 

Has anyone heard of any progress in the Lancaster area? I know that Full Builds are underway with <1% LTE completed.  I have noticed recently where my device roams more frequent in areas that normally has decent coverage.  Hope this is a pre-cursor to LTE...been waiting for some time now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Along the I 84 corridor between New York State and Scranton, sensorly maps are somewhat accurate as of this week. I was traveling from Milford to State College, and had 3G along I-84. A few towers are not yet activated for EVDO, but most have the equipment. along I 81, as this is Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, there is 3G coverage. However, once I got on I-80, I was 1x all the way until State College, with maybe a glimpse of 3G near Milton. The sensorly map is accurate as of this past weekend. 

On a side note, T-Mobile has activated LTE in State College, Scranton and Wilkes Barre. 

I find it rather depressing that Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile have all lit up LTE in State College and Sprint's still chugging along with subpar 3G speeds.  Given the fact the Sprint Store in State college went bust and hasn't been replaced I am almost wondering if they aren't giving up on this area which by the way with the size of Penn State makes no sense whatsoever.  Has anyone heard anything new about when State College can expect some LTE service to go live?

I find it rather depressing that Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile have all lit up LTE in State College and Sprint's still chugging along with subpar 3G speeds. Given the fact the Sprint Store in State college went bust and hasn't been replaced I am almost wondering if they aren't giving up on this area which by the way with the size of Penn State makes no sense whatsoever. Has anyone heard anything new about when State College can expect some LTE service to go live?

The Western Pennsylvania market is the lowest priority for Sprint.They have deployed GMO sites over the entire market, including State College.

Now that SoftBank has closed on their purchase of Sprint, they have asked for proposals to convert all GMO sites to full build Network Vision sites. So these sites will be fully converted now. But work will probably not begin until late this year or into 2014.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

I find it rather depressing that Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile have all lit up LTE in State College and Sprint's still chugging along with subpar 3G speeds.  Given the fact the Sprint Store in State college went bust and hasn't been replaced I am almost wondering if they aren't giving up on this area which by the way with the size of Penn State makes no sense whatsoever.  Has anyone heard anything new about when State College can expect some LTE service to go live?

I wouldn't hold it against Sprint about no LTE in State College. T-Mobile barely has LTE, just downtown and on campus, but once your leave downtown, it goes bust. Even the Nittany Mall doesn't have LTE from T-Mo. If your asking how I know this, I have an AT&T Galaxy Note with a T-Mo SIM card. 

Sprint also doesn't know their network here may be bad. Last I checked their coverage maps say you have perfect bars all around campus. Well, guess what? YOU DON'T. Next to the HUB on Pollock Rd is a dead zone for Sprint, no 3G at all, just 1x. It barely reaches. The reason this is so is because this market used to be part of an affiliate, most likely iPCS. I am not 100% sure on this, but its my assumption. 

I know that many people want that 4G icon, but who cares as long as its usable? 3G in State College is generally blazing fast, pushing the limits of the EvDo airlink, consistently achieving speeds of 2+ mpbs. Why is this? Because most of the Penn State community uses WiFi, the majority of non tech savvy people think WiFi is the godsend for data. Ironically, WiFi at Penn State dies quickly with many people, seeing 1x like speeds. During Penn State games, every network essentially dies. Verizon and AT&T customers aren't even able to complete calls or send texts during the home football weekends. Sprint and T-Mobile are the only ones that can, but their data does die as well. 

Also note, the Sprint store in State College wasn't a Corporate store, but rather a preferred retailer. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know when Lancaster will start seeing a "blip" of LTE?  I know the scheduled completion is for FEB 2014 but Sprint has to have something like 60%-70% complete before announcing a market as launched.  I am slowly seeing areas go into roaming or no coverage at all which I am hoping that they are gearing up for this.  I also work for Sprint and in the past 3-5 weeks, I have been getting a string of customers complaining about losing service or roaming where they once had it before.  

I am patiently waiting just like the rest of the Central Pennsylvanians but its hard when EVERY county (York, Harrisburg, Lebanon, and parts of Chester) have some or all of LTE.  I know they are Shentel and operate independently.  Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.   

Does anyone know when Lancaster will start seeing a "blip" of LTE? I know the scheduled completion is for FEB 2014 but Sprint has to have something like 60%-70% complete before announcing a market as launched. I am slowly seeing areas go into roaming or no coverage at all which I am hoping that they are gearing up for this. I also work for Sprint and in the past 3-5 weeks, I have been getting a string of customers complaining about losing service or roaming where they once had it before.

I am patiently waiting just like the rest of the Central Pennsylvanians but its hard when EVERY county (York, Harrisburg, Lebanon, and parts of Chester) have some or all of LTE. I know they are Shentel and operate independently. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

The whole market is under deployment, but nothing has popped up in Lancaster at all. It must be local planning/permitting causing the hang up. You may want to do some searches on the local permitting website to see if you can find out some info.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...