Anyone move from EVO to SIII?

ufergus

I am having Google Maps issues with my EVO since the Jelly Bean update and will likely take it in for replacement if HTC doesn't do something soon. I needed to swap my EVO a few months ago because of a speakerphone issue and they offered to swap it for an SIII. I was kind of caught off guard so I just stuck with my EVO. This time around I figured I would think about it a bit more before going in for an exchange. So... Has anyone moved from an EVO LTE to the SIII? What do you like better about the SIII? What did you like better about the EVO? I know these are loaded questions and I am not trying to start a Samsung vs HTC war. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you are ok with getting rid of your phone (whether for an SIII or new EVO) try a factory reset first. I was having random issues with it and was getting quite frustrated. I did a factory reset and now my phone operates, well, simply amazing. Yeah I lost my progress with some games but that was about it since I sync most content with Google I was able to get it back right away. I'm very happy with the result and you may want to try it too. (This is of course assuming you haven't; if you have tried this, ignore my post :) )

The only con I've encountered is that I lost Flash player, and while most sites use HTML5 now, some still stream video using Flash.

It's a known fact the SIII has much better RF/radio performance than the EVO LTE. Plus it has more RAM. Only downside people find is the screen isn't as nice looking as the EVO LTE. I would trade the two phones anyday and probably slide the Sprint rep a tip of $20 for doing so! I got turned down the couple of times I tried getting mine swapped. I gave up and went with the Note 2. No regrets!

It's a known fact the SIII has much better RF/radio performance than the EVO LTE. Plus it has more RAM. Only downside people find is the screen isn't as nice looking as the EVO LTE. I would trade the two phones anyday and probably slide the Sprint rep a tip of $20 for doing so! I got turned down the couple of times I tried getting mine swapped. I gave up and went with the Note 2. No regrets!

Another EVO LTE --> Note 2 user, here. No looking back. The biggest reason I got the EVO in the first place was the screen. It is gorgeous, even in direct sunlight. Still, it just wasn't a good enough reason, on its own, to put up with all the other shortcomings. I get LTE most places, not just now (a couple of months later), but right away -- instantly. So, it's not due to new towers. Also, everyone I know who has the SIII loves it, too. Really, other than a couple of more cores and a bigger screen, they are very much alike. And, had the Note 2 not come along, I would have an SIII right now.

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried everything short of flashing the RUU on my EVO. I have a ticket opened with HTC about the Maps issue and they haven't been helpful yet. I am just not sure I can give up my kickstand! I use it all the time =)

• Like 1

I think hardware hands down HTC wins. Samsung takes it with the software and the radio. I swore I wouldn't buy another HTC phone after reading the issues people were having obtaining a LTE signal and was fully prepared to go to war with Sprint to get a replacement SG3. I have done a 180 though,. Since the JB update I have to say it runs smooth. I have used various ROMS and all have found and connected to LTE scary fast. I prefer stock JB over Sense but used both and didn't have any issues. I guess it come down to why you chose the EVO over the SG3 to begin with.

Google Maps/Nav crashes or locks up when trying to navigate anywhere. It seems ok until you actually start to move. I noticed that the Google Track Santa app would crash in the same way when they had Santa travel from city to city. There is a bug in there somewhere that HTC/Google need to figure out. There is a thread over on Android Central if you are interested.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried everything short of flashing the RUU on my EVO. I have a ticket opened with HTC about the Maps issue and they haven't been helpful yet. I am just not sure I can give up my kickstand! I use it all the time =)

That won't fix it either. I tried the RUU and it didn't fix my maps issue.

It's very annoying.

I really want a note 2 but they are too expensive on eBay.

• Like 1

Bummer, thanks for the info.

Apparently, a patch is coming (according to a few posts). I wish samsung would just dump their amoled screens or at least give people a choice at this point.

AMOLED was great 2-3 years ago but now LCD displays have really come a long way.

• Like 2

Problem solved:

http://www.seidioonline.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-active-kickstand-case-black-p/csk3ssgs3k-bk.htm

Apparently, a patch is coming (according to a few posts). I wish samsung would just dump their amoled screens or at least give people a choice at this point.

AMOLED was great 2-3 years ago but now LCD displays have really come a long way.

I don't claim to know the differences between the two screens of the S3 or Note2 but side by side the Note2 wins it hands down. I haven't compared it to the EVO LTE, but I can tell you I don't miss the EVO LTE one bit. It just felt like a rushed development phone.

I doubt that is going to happen. Samsung has cast its lot with AMOLED.

As I wrote in another thread this morning, Samsung seems to be trying to take its entire smartphone production supply chain in house. Samsung already sources its AMOLED panels from itself. If Samsung were to switch back to LCD, it would likely have to source panels from LG and/or Sharp because, to my knowledge, Samsung makes only TN and PVA panels. And for smartphone LCD panels, anything short of IPS (or equivalent) is unacceptable these days.

AJ

I doubt that is going to happen. Samsung has cast its lot with AMOLED.

As I wrote in another thread this morning, Samsung seems to be trying to take its entire smartphone production supply chain in house. Samsung already sources its AMOLED panels from itself. If Samsung were to switch back to LCD, it would likely have to source panels from LG and/or Sharp because, to my knowledge, Samsung makes only TN and PVA panels. And for smartphone LCD panels, anything short of IPS (or equivalent) is unacceptable these days.

AJ

Yeah, it's too bad for Samsung. Japan Display, Sharp, and LG are really stepping up their game.

Hopefully samsung will respond and improve the color accuracy, off-axis viewing angles, and brightness of their AMOLED displays.

Apple definitely turned the display market upside down.

For me, I guess I still like my EVO LTE. I don't have LTE where I live yet, so I cannot complain nor confirm about the LTE connectivity problem....

As for S3, I don't know if I like the AMOLED screen. The colors are saturated and I heard of screen burn in issues (unlike LCD panels).....

I really like the build quality of the EVO compared to the S3. WIth my JB update, everything runs smoother and quicker, except for navigation.... which crashes.

The only reason I would get an S3 at this point is RAM. Sometimes, I notice if I'm running a memory hungry app (such as a game), when I exit the game, it takes a bit to re-load sense UI as Android starts dumping memory usage and re-allocating it. With the S3 having 2G of ram over 1G for the EVO, I suspect that the phone would be a lot more "fluid" if you will.

At this point, I'm just sticking with the EVO until something else comes out....

I am having Google Maps issues with my EVO since the Jelly Bean update and will likely take it in for replacement if HTC doesn't do something soon. I needed to swap my EVO a few months ago because of a speakerphone issue and they offered to swap it for an SIII. I was kind of caught off guard so I just stuck with my EVO. This time around I figured I would think about it a bit more before going in for an exchange. So... Has anyone moved from an EVO LTE to the SIII? What do you like better about the SIII? What did you like better about the EVO? I know these are loaded questions and I am not trying to start a Samsung vs HTC war. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

As someone who own both the EVO LTE, and the GS3, I have to say they are both great phones. You will be happy with either one (unless this maps thing continues. I haven't encountered that, ever).

For me, I prefer to use the EVO. As others have mentioned, I do think the screen looks better than the GS3, but that's not the only reason. I also feel that the camera on the EVO takes better pictures, I have numerous photos that I've taken side by side, and the EVO always wins out. I hate the fact that the GS3 doesn't let you take widescreen 8mp pictures.

The EVO does perform weaker when it comes to LTE, though it has gotten a boost from the JB update, so it's not as big of a deal as it was before.

The feel of the phone comes into play for me as well, the EVO feels better in my hand than the GS3 does. As does Sense, I'll take Sense any day over Touchwiz.

Some reasons you might want the GS3, better LTE performance, more RAM. Though I can't say I've ever run into any RAM issues on my phone, but I use my phones mostly for web browsing, texting, FB, and the occasional phone call. No huge games or anything like that.

Love the kickstand too!

• Like 1

The feel of the phone comes into play for me as well, the EVO feels better in my hand than the GS3 does. As does Sense, I'll take Sense any day over Touchwiz.

I really like sense. I think it's by far the best UI for android. Dare I say, I prefer it to pure google?

• Like 1

I really like sense. I think it's by far the best UI for android. Dare I say, I prefer it to pure google?

How dare you?! Pure Android loads applications fully 0.08 seconds faster, and that makes all the difference in the world to a phone geek...er, I mean..."power user."

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Not sure why people get hung up on touchwiz sense differences. I guess I don't use either since I always use a different launcher, texting app, and keyboard. So it all looks the same to me no matter the phone.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Another EVO LTE --> Note 2 user, here. No looking back. The biggest reason I got the EVO in the first place was the screen. It is gorgeous, even in direct sunlight. Still, it just wasn't a good enough reason, on its own, to put up with all the other shortcomings. I get LTE most places, not just now (a couple of months later), but right away -- instantly. So, it's not due to new towers. Also, everyone I know who has the SIII loves it, too. Really, other than a couple of more cores and a bigger screen, they are very much alike. And, had the Note 2 not come along, I would have an SIII right now.

Did you pay the full un-subsidized price for the Note 2?

I don't claim to know the differences between the two screens of the S3 or Note2 but side by side the Note2 wins it hands down. I haven't compared it to the EVO LTE, but I can tell you I don't miss the EVO LTE one bit. It just felt like a rushed development phone.

The screen on the note 2 is not a pentile setup like on the gs3, thats why it looks so much better.

• Like 1