Network Vision/LTE - East Iowa Market (Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Dubuque, Waterloo/Cedar Falls)

S4GRU

They did leave us the lovely Nebraska loop though.

Yes, it is like the Great Wall of Nebraska -- it can be seen from space.

AJ

• Like 1

They did leave us the lovely Nebraska loop though.

Oh, and I prefer to call it the Fremont Loop or the Norfolk Loop.  But I have not decided which one.  So, I will just defer to you Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben.

AJ

• Like 1

So besides the second carrier, is there really anything else they can do to help the area? I wonder if there are plans for more densification here.

We aren't data hogs at all (family of 3 averaging 4 GB), but I prefer to have unlimited for the piece of mind and because we don't know what the future holds. And for that reason alone I would prefer to be with Sprint. I just want piece of mind that our area will be useable in the foreseeable future instead of being in a park in the middle of town and not able to pull up the weather map to see if a storm was coming our way.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be downtown Cedar Rapids at the Doubletree for a week in a hotel room and the convention center. Can anyone tell me what I can expect from Sprint service at that location?

I'm going to be downtown Cedar Rapids at the Doubletree for a week in a hotel room and the convention center. Can anyone tell me what I can expect from Sprint service at that location?

This is a bogus post.  Nobody actually goes to a convention in Cedar Rapids.  Who are you really?  Ed Helms?  John C. Reilly?  Anne Heche?

AJ

• Like 2

Since no one appears to have any Sprint experience here I can tell you that in the convention center and arena it is a rough go for a Sprint customer. Battery life is about 4 hours on the Galaxy S6 and HTC M9 because the signal strength is so low indoors. Outside the signal is usable on LTE but speed is about 1 MB/sec. I'm having to run my phone on wifi calling from my Verizon mifi to use it for a whole day inside the convention center. Wifi is $10/day per device.

Seen this on Sprint's fourms.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/210207

Any in put?

Thanks,

John

We've said it repeatedly already.

Quad cities and east Iowa will not get 2.5 deployments at this time . Speed connect, a local lte over the air home isp, owns and utilizes all the available 2.5/2.6 brs/ebs spectrum minus 6 mhz that's owned by sprint.

Unless sprint can get a deal with them for spectrum leasing then the only hope is to refarm a second pcs Lte carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 5

We've said it repeatedly already.

Quad cities and east Iowa will not get 2.5 deployments at this time . Speed connect, a local lte over the air home isp, owns and utilizes all the available 2.5/2.6 brs/ebs spectrum minus 6 mhz that's owned by sprint.

Unless sprint can get a deal with them for spectrum leasing then the only hope is to refarm a second pcs Lte carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I get that. I looks like one of the towers was upgraded to 2.5.  Plus why would they install Ethernet for BackHaul? 

The closest tower (.2 miles away) is near West 13th Street. This tower shows the following:

4G 2500 MHz:

Completed (11/13/2014)

4G 1900 MHz:

Completed (7/22/2014)

4G 800 MHz:

Completed (9/14/2014)

3G 1900 MHz:

Completed (5/18/2012)

Voice / 1xRTT 800 MHz:

Completed (10/3/2013)

Backhaul:

Ethernet

Please keep in mind when viewing the "completed" date, you will need to add an additional 30 days for the optimization period.

There is another tower close by near East 21st Street that is .5 miles away. This tower shows the following:

4G 2500 MHz:

TBD

4G 1900 MHz:

Completed (8/9/2013)

4G 800 MHz:

Not Scheduled

3G 1900 MHz:

Completed (10/23/2012)

Voice / 1xRTT 800 MHz:

Completed (2/8/2014)

Backhaul:

Ethernet

Thanks,

John

I get that. I looks like one of the towers was upgraded to 2.5.  Plus why would they install Ethernet for BackHaul? 

The closest tower (.2 miles away) is near West 13th Street. This tower shows the following:

4G 2500 MHz:

Completed (11/13/2014)

4G 1900 MHz:

Completed (7/22/2014)

4G 800 MHz:

Completed (9/14/2014)

3G 1900 MHz:

Completed (5/18/2012)

Voice / 1xRTT 800 MHz:

Completed (10/3/2013)

Backhaul:

Ethernet

Please keep in mind when viewing the "completed" date, you will need to add an additional 30 days for the optimization period.

There is another tower close by near East 21st Street that is .5 miles away. This tower shows the following:

4G 2500 MHz:

TBD

4G 1900 MHz:

Completed (8/9/2013)

4G 800 MHz:

Not Scheduled

3G 1900 MHz:

Completed (10/23/2012)

Voice / 1xRTT 800 MHz:

Completed (2/8/2014)

Backhaul:

Ethernet

Thanks,

John

How'd you get this information?

I get that. I looks like one of the towers was upgraded to 2.5. Plus why would they install Ethernet for BackHaul?

The closest tower (.2 miles away) is near West 13th Street. This tower shows the following: 4G 2500 MHz:

Completed (11/13/2014) 4G 1900 MHz:

Completed (7/22/2014) 4G 800 MHz:

Completed (9/14/2014) 3G 1900 MHz:

Completed (5/18/2012) Voice / 1xRTT 800 MHz:

Completed (10/3/2013) Backhaul:

Ethernet

There is another tower close by near East 21st Street that is .5 miles away. This tower shows the following: 4G 2500 MHz:

TBD 4G 1900 MHz:

Completed (8/9/2013) 4G 800 MHz:

Not Scheduled 3G 1900 MHz:

Completed (10/23/2012) Voice / 1xRTT 800 MHz:

Completed (2/8/2014) Backhaul:

Ethernet

Thanks,

John

Sprints internal tools have been wrong before so it would not surprise me but someone can go check to confirm.

Also ether net can represent anything but typically ethernet represents fiber or aav.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The Quad Cities is a mobile hell hole:

Sprint is there with no EBS/BRS. T-Mobile isn't there; iWireless (50% T-Mobile owned) is and HSPA+ only.

Verizon and AT&T are there but I'm not sure about their spectrum position. USCellular is there and that's the wild card, but I have no clue how their LTE networks would perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Quad Cities is a mobile hell hole:

Sprint is there with no EBS/BRS. T-Mobile isn't there; iWireless (50% T-Mobile owned) is and HSPA+ only.

Verizon and AT&T are there but I'm not sure about their spectrum position. USCellular is there and that's the wild card, but I have no clue how their LTE networks would perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha. Yes it is. I think VzW and AT&T work fine here, but the others, not so much. That is surprising since we do have a pretty big population.

Am I missing something?  I found complete Sprint BRS licenses for Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, Waterloo/Cedar Falls and Dubuque looking just now on the FCC ULS.  Unless I'm reading it wrong, it is showing all the BRS blocks for all four markets.  However, SpeedConnect does control BRS in Iowa City.  

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3195993

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3195991

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3196021

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2589843

Am I missing something?  I found complete Sprint BRS licenses for Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, Waterloo/Cedar Falls and Dubuque...

Dubuque, Dubuque, da da da da da da...

Dubuque, Dubuque, da da da da da da...

Dubuque, Dubuque, da da da da da da…Dubuque

AJ

Am I missing something?  I found complete Sprint BRS licenses for Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, Waterloo/Cedar Falls and Dubuque looking just now on the FCC ULS.  Unless I'm reading it wrong, it is showing all the BRS blocks for all four markets.  However, SpeedConnect does control BRS in Iowa City.  

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3195993

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3195991

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3196021

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2589843

Try searching it on the dashboard and see what you get. For example your first link is for WQLW474. Using the dashboard to search Scott County Iowa and BRS pulls up WQLW474, but it shows they only 6 MHz in Scott County on that license. It is like your links are showing the entire BRS spectrum and not what Sprint actually has. SpeedConnect literally has most of the BRS on the dashboard.

Try searching it on the dashboard and see what you get.

I did.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchMarket.jsp

Used this link, like I always do. Changed Market Type to BTA. Changed Radio Service Code to BRS. Used market codes for Iowa City, Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo/Cedar Falls and Dubuque.

In all those, SpeedConnect is shown to only be licensed with BRS in Iowa City only. No SpeedConnect BRS licenses in the others at all. Only Sprint shown as a BRS license holder in all the rest.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

I did.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchMarket.jsp

Used this link, like I always do. Changed Market Type to BTA. Changed Radio Service Code to BRS. Used market codes for Iowa City, Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo/Cedar Falls and Dubuque.

In all those, SpeedConnect is shown to only be licensed with BRS in Iowa City only. No SpeedConnect BRS licenses in the others at all. Only Sprint shown as a BRS license holder in all the rest.

See the edited post that I added to while you were typing. We'll get this figured out. I still don't think your 4 links tell us what Sprint actually has. It is like they're simply showing the BRS spectrum range. If you start from here http://reboot.fcc.gov/spectrumdashboard/systemInfo.seam?conversationId=934 and browse using the map for Iowa---> Scott County---> BRS see what you get.

Try searching it on the dashboard and see what you get. For example your first link is for WQLW474. Using the dashboard to search Scott County Iowa and BRS pulls up WQLW474, but it shows they 6 MHz in Scott County on that license. It is like your links are showing the entire BRS spectrum and not what Sprint actually has. SpeedConnect literally has most of the BRS on the dashboard.

I am not trying to disparage anyone -- just being honest.  But the Spectrum Dashboard is kindergarten stuff.  And it is crap.

As someone who has cataloged and mapped spectrum for the last 12 years, the FCC ULS tells the true tale.  The FCC ULS is the only worthwhile source.  With the FCC ULS, you drink straight from the bottle.

AJ

• Like 2

See the edited post that I added to while you were typing. We'll get this figured out. I still don't think your 4 links tell us what Sprint actually has. It is like they're simply showing the BRS spectrum range. If you start from here http://reboot.fcc.gov/spectrumdashboard/systemInfo.seam?conversationId=934 and browse using the map for Iowa---> Scott County---> BRS see what you get.

I get what your saying. But in a place where two license holders exist in a BTA, both licenses will be shown in the ULS. Sometimes there's even a half dozen license holders. Like what has happened in the Iowa City BTA. There's many shown. But in Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo/Cedar Falls and Dubuque, a license sweep of all of BRS only shows Sprint in the ULS. The ULS will show if part of the license has been disaggregated, and none are shown for these licenses. Sprint's licenses in East Iowa are whole.

I wonder if SpeedConnect has some weird single broadcast location licenses in BRS. Or possibly some geographic leases that are not market wide. It's bizarre.

I have been looking at BRS licenses a long time, and if you can't count these as being all Sprint, then you can't count on anything else you read in the FCC ULS. Because where Sprint does have all the BRS spectrum in a market, the license looks exactly the same as these in the ULS.

Based on my review, I wouldn't rule out Sprint B41 in East Iowa market, except for Iowa City. Unless Sprint has EBS there. I did not check that.

Based on my review, I wouldn't rule out Sprint B41 in East Iowa market, except for Iowa City. Unless Sprint has EBS there. I did not check that.

All owned by speed connect.

Sent from my Nexus 5