I keep losing data connection on my new S3

MaxPower

I just activated my S3 last night and ever since I keep losing data connection, it will just drop. When I do have data 80% of the time it will be 1x, 20% it will be EvDo. Right now my preferred network mode is CDMA, if I change it to LTE/CDMA my data will drop more frequently. My EVO 3D liked to go from 3G to 1X but it never dropped the data connection, what's going on with the S3?

• Like 1

I just activated my S3 last night and ever since I keep losing data connection, it will just drop. When I do have data 80% of the time it will be 1x, 20% it will be EvDo. Right now my preferred network mode is CDMA, if I change it to LTE/CDMA my data will drop more frequently. My EVO 3D liked to go from 3G to 1X but it never dropped the data connection, what's going on with the S3?

I would redo the hands free activation. That is not normal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I would redo the hands free activation. That is not normal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

How would I go about doing that? If I go to settings and "Activate this device" it just gives me my usage details.

I apologize for not being on topic, but I'd just like to thank you for not spelling it "loosing!" A previous boss did that all the time, as well as most people on the interwebs. I think it just goes to show the caliber of users we get here, and is one of the reasons I enjoy visiting. So: Thank You!

• Like 3

it's not just the s3..i have a galaxy nexus that ever since the 4.1 "upgrade" has also been highly unstable. Data performance in my area is also horrid even on my wife's iphone 5. Prt of it is Sprint's network is just not working well right now and code changes in recent Andriod are highly buggy.

Go to the dialer menu and enter in ##72786# thats hands free activation.

I dialed that code last night and it went through some reboots. Then this morning I lost connection again, I noticed that mobile networks setting was set to LTE/CDMA, I changed it to CDMA only and it rebooted again. I've been checking periodically and I haven't noticed any data loss, it hasn't gone into 1X mode either. We'll see what happens throughout the day.

I apologize for not being on topic, but I'd just like to thank you for not spelling it "loosing!" A previous boss did that all the time, as well as most people on the interwebs. I think it just goes to show the caliber of users we get here, and is one of the reasons I enjoy visiting. So: Thank You!

Tell me about, some people's spelling is just "rediculous" ^_^

• Like 1

I dialed that code last night and it went through some reboots. Then this morning I lost connection again, I noticed that mobile networks setting was set to LTE/CDMA, I changed it to CDMA only and it rebooted again. I've been checking periodically and I haven't noticed any data loss, it hasn't gone into 1X mode either. We'll see what happens throughout the day.

I, too, was having trouble with the network here in NY City. I made the change that you describe, and there are now far fewer problems. :)

I, too, was having trouble with the network here in NY City. I made the change that you describe, and there are now far fewer problems. :)

I rarely lose data now. Voice, on the other hand, likes to come and go. I notice it likes to roam even when I'm suppose to be connect to my Airave.

I just had my phone replaced this afternoon and so far it has held its data connection with no problems and it can also connect to 4g, my first SIII refused to connect to 4g.

• Like 1

My data has been holding steady but it's switching to 1XRTT a lot. I'm starting to think the problem is not with the phone but with some tower outage. I'm getting great signal (full bars) so I'm not sure if it would be a tower issue.

I rarely lose data now. Voice, on the other hand, likes to come and go. I notice it likes to roam even when I'm suppose to be connect to my Airave.

I have the same problem with mine connecting to the airave as well. We have 3 LG phones and 2 S3's in the house and the LG phones connect perfectly every time, S3's are a pain to get connected.

• 2 weeks later...

I am finding the signal strength of the S3 to be mediocre. Keeping it in CDMA only mode seems to help.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

CDMA only mode works best for me too but my problems are all data problems, my signal strength is strong. My problems are with the phone switching to 1XRTT mode and switching data off and on constantly. I called Sprint earlier today and they aren't showing any tower issues in my area. I was hoping I wouldn't have to switch phones but it looks like I'll have to take it to a repair center this weekend.

CDMA only mode works best for me too but my problems are all data problems, my signal strength is strong. My problems are with the phone switching to 1XRTT mode and switching data off and on constantly. I called Sprint earlier today and they aren't showing any tower issues in my area. I was hoping I wouldn't have to switch phones but it looks like I'll have to take it to a repair center this weekend.

Yuk, I hate dealing with the repair center.

I also updated my profile several times in an effort to see if it got better.

I returned the iPhone 5 today and went back and forth between the Optimus G and the S3.

I hope I made the right decision, I don't think I can exchange it again.

Update: I just got off the phone with Tech Support and while it's not going to help me while out and about they did offer me a free Airave and waived the monthly 5.00 fee.

I am finding the signal strength of the S3 to be mediocre. Keeping it in CDMA only mode seems to help.

In my comparison of 10 devices earlier this Fall, the radio performance of the GS3 was among the best devices. You must have a lame one. That's a shame to not be able to enjoy the great radio performance. Any chance of getting it swapped out?

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

call airave tech support and have them reduce the coverage area. The airaves are overloading some phones relievers and causing them to "detune"....i have a 2200 sqft house and i had to drop the coverage to 1500 sqft for things to work correctly.

In my comparison of 10 devices earlier this Fall, the radio performance of the GS3 was among the best devices. You must have a lame one. That's a shame to not be able to enjoy the great radio performance. Any chance of getting it swapped out?

I'm going to go today and try. I'm roaming all the time and a junk Samsung flip phone (on Virgin Mobile) is sitting here with great signal. It's frustrating to say the least.

call airave tech support and have them reduce the coverage area. The airaves are overloading some phones relievers and causing them to "detune"....i have a 2200 sqft house and i had to drop the coverage to 1500 sqft for things to work correctly.

It only happens with the S3 though.

yes i only have this issue on my gnex..:) the radios in most modern smartphones(samsung moreso from what i've seen) are much more susceptible to receiver detuning due to rf overload than other phones. I jstu held a 10 minute conversation with the new reduced power settings on the airave..something i've never been able to do.