Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

Will they ever leave on the NV tower on cause it is much faster it is slow on day time?.And do you know if rockville gaithesberg and bethesda ever get LTE soon?

I'm not certain I understand your post. But I will attempt to respond to what I think you've said.

NV improvements are typically left on when completed. Especially 3G improvements. However, you likely are connected to only legacy sites and not NV sites. An overloaded legacy site can bog down at peak times, but can be normal speed at off peak times. They are not turning NV sites on and off. That is not your issue.

As for the Maryland communities you cite, it is an impossible question to answer. They are upgrading throughout the market on a site by site basis. They will likely upgrade one site to LTE in each city, and then every week or two, another one. They will likely start soon, maybe even before the end of the year. However, it will be several months before there is citywide coverage of LTE in any of those cities.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I'm confused - so the Herndon area around Clock Tower has LTE up, at least to some degree. I mapped a few areas with Sensorly last night. Based on signal strength it appeared the tower is likely around Frying Pan. Crossing over to the Worldgate side of the Toll road I had signal in and out and then gone. Then suddenly back again at Worldgate (that tower is on the Marriott). I live nearby and have had horrible service there lately so this does make some sense. However, the signal doesn't seem to cover a full 360 yet and not much strength there. Am I picking up signal carrying from, perhaps, Frying Pan, or would the have things turned on and testing without all panels up and operational?

Also, I'm using the EVO LTE and having to force LTE only and constantly toggle airplane mode or radio on/ off to find the signals.

I'm confused - so the Herndon area around Clock Tower has LTE up, at least to some degree. I mapped a few areas with Sensorly last night. Based on signal strength it appeared the tower is likely around Frying Pan. Crossing over to the Worldgate side of the Toll road I had signal in and out and then gone. Then suddenly back again at Worldgate (that tower is on the Marriott). I live nearby and have had horrible service there lately so this does make some sense. However, the signal doesn't seem to cover a full 360 yet and not much strength there. Am I picking up signal carrying from, perhaps, Frying Pan, or would the have things turned on and testing without all panels up and operational?

Also, I'm using the EVO LTE and having to force LTE only and constantly toggle airplane mode or radio on/ off to find the signals.

I think it is the tower at Frying Pan and 28 that is active, if you look at the Sensorly map you will notice the Signal is stronger along 28 then it is in around Clock Tower. If it was the Marriott panels active then I would receive it at the house in which I am 2 blocks out of range if the current mapping. I am over here off of Parcher by the elementary school.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not certain I understand your post. But I will attempt to respond to what I think you've said.

NV improvements are typically left on when completed. Especially 3G improvements. However, you likely are connected to only legacy sites and not NV sites. An overloaded legacy site can bog down at peak times, but can be normal speed at off peak times. They are not turning NV sites on and off. That is not your issue.

As for the Maryland communities you cite, it is an impossible question to answer. They are upgrading throughout the market on a site by site basis. They will likely upgrade one site to LTE in each city, and then every week or two, another one. They will likely start soon, maybe even before the end of the year. However, it will be several months before there is citywide coverage of LTE in any of those cities.

Well thanks man but i thought rockville was going to get LTE sometime soon by february max and know im thinking end of 2013.

Well thanks man but i thought rockville was going to get LTE sometime soon by february max and know im thinking end of 2013.

That is not what I said at all. Please go back and reread.

• Like 1

I think it is the tower at Frying Pan and 28 that is active, if you look at the Sensorly map you will notice the Signal is stronger along 28 then it is in around Clock Tower. If it was the Marriott panels active then I would receive it at the house in which I am 2 blocks out of range if the current mapping. I am over here off of Parcher by the elementary school.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know that I agree on that. The distance seems pretty large for one tower. I was able to keep signal to the Giant on Elden. Conversely, I work next the Dulles Hyatt and cannot get any LTE signal here. I am closer to Frying Pan & 28 at work than I am at home or for that matter Worldgate or Clocktower.

They will likely upgrade one site to LTE in each city, and then every week or two, another one. They will likely start soon, maybe even before the end of the year. However, it will be several months before there is citywide coverage of LTE in any of those cities.

I thought you ment alot because you said it will take several months before there is citywide coverage but anyway thanks a lot

Just got to school. TESST College in Beltsville and noticed once again that I was on LTE. Did a speed test and pulled down 7.22Mbps and 2.96Mbps up. I believe they blocking signals in this building because I dropped back down to a crappy 3G signal once I got in my classroom.

I'm starting to become a believer in this new 4G rollout.

I believe they blocking signals in this building because I dropped back down to a crappy 3G signal once I got in my classroom.

I'm starting to become a believer in this new 4G rollout.

If they were blocking signals, then you wouldn't get 3G either, you'd have nothing. Most likely the site is to far away to penetrate the building with LTE. Your speed test is indicative of a signal that would probably become too weak to use upon entering a building. As site come online closer to your building, you'll probably see signal inside.

Question- I get a 4G signal in a few parts of DC, yet I don't get any service (I have to wait until my phone switches to 3G service). In other areas, when I have a 4G signal I get weak to fairly strong service (although no speeds like I've seen in other areas of the country). What is the cause of this phenomenon?

Question- I get a 4G signal in a few parts of DC, yet I don't get any service (I have to wait until my phone switches to 3G service). In other areas, when I have a 4G signal I get weak to fairly strong service (although no speeds like I've seen in other areas of the country). What is the cause of this phenomenon?

It could be some components are set up exactly right yet. As Robert has mentioned in other threads, sometimes there is an issue with the site communicating with the LTE Core, so the network speeds are slowed or stopped. Since you are in an un-announced region, I would expect to continue to see fluctuations in speed, coverage and signal strength until the network is "launched."

• Like 1

I just picked up a 4G signal when I got to work this morning. I'm not sure if this is an expansion of the Baltimore coverage, or if they flipped the switch on the DC area? Can anyone comment?

I posted the signal info in the 4G connection thread here

Edited by mtbiker278

Omg I'm in Costco if Gaithersburg got lte I can't believe it yes go to rockville baby please map it u got iphone
holy crap I'm in that Costco right now too! Already mapped some on Sensorly.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2