Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

No kidding.  Service connected but didn't function in the stations last night or this morning.

- Trip

I really hope the four carriers can get their act together on this soon. It's a shame this has dragged on so long. Hopefully the DAS includes Band 41 for Sprint.

The Current State

The four carriers — Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T — are in charge of the project to install wireless infrastructure inside Metro’s rail system. In response to multiple inquiries by WAMU 88.5, a spokeswoman for Verizon, which speaks on behalf of the carriers, provided only a brief statement.

“It’s our understanding that WMATA testified that WMATA and the carriers were in conversation about moving the project forward, which is in fact the case,” said Verizon’s Melanie Ortel. Verizon declined requests to speak to company officials about the progress of the work and whether the Sept. 30 deadline will be met.

Metro indicated no work presently is underway.

vs.

The History (For immediate release: February 27, 2009)

Metro riders will be able to call home from any cell phone, access the Internet from any Web-enabled cell phone and eventually have Wi-Fi access in the rail system, under an agreement approved Thursday by Metro’s Board.

Four major cell phone companies -- Verizon Wireless, Sprint Nextel, AT&T and T-Mobile -- will build a new wireless infrastructure in the underground rail system during the next four years. 

The companies will design, build, operate, maintain and own a wireless network. The firms will also build a second wireless network, which Metro will own, operate and maintain for Metro’s own operational and public safety communications. Twenty of the busiest underground rail stations will have expanded cell phone service by the end of this year and the entire rail system will be equipped by 2012. 

Riders can now receive cell phone service from multiple providers at above ground stations, but the current underground wireless network only supports Verizon customers and Sprint phones that roam onto the Verizon network. In 1993, Metro agreed to allow Bell Atlantic Mobile Systems, which later became Verizon Wireless, to build and own the current wireless network. In exchange, Verizon built a public safety radio communications system for Metro. Verizon also has been paying annual fees to Metro. Transit agency officials say the wireless network doesn’t support all carriers and current broadband services, such as streaming video. 

In L'enfant and Archives, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile all have LTE already.  Only Sprint is lacking. 

But, the bigger issue here is that the service connected to eHRPD yesterday (and this morning) but then no data would pass.

- Trip

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

Other than Nextel conversions, I haven't seen much new lately. No permits on file with Fairfax County for Sprint, for example.

- Trip

I haven't seen anything in Frederick or Montgomery County either.

Deep sigh lol

Maybe because all 3 bands are up in Montgomery and Frederick counties. I know, travel them everyday. Especially when I'm sitting in Walkersville at Lonza.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Nominal changes in the District as noted in the DMV Premiere Sponsor thread. Permits were filed for a couple of full conversions and a tower move to the new Safeway development in Petworth. That should hopefully strengthen LTE coverage in that area and surprisingly parts of the Wardman Apartment complex in 16th Street Heights.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Today's news about Metro's "safety surges" sound like they'll be good news for the cell service in tunnels project.  I don't think it was stated outright, but it seems to be implied that while those segments are closed for rail work, communications work will also be done.  Very smart; here's hoping it actually gets done. 

I also hope they turn it on as they go; that would make Yellow in VA one of the first areas to get the upgrade.

- Trip

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...