Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

Walked into work this morning after a week and a half off and instead of sitting on B25 from the very strong B25 signal I get here these days, now I'm sitting on a new Sprint B41 signal.  Sector is 33 (GCI is 0x0317F933), suggesting I'm looking at a west-facing panel but I can't tell, for the life of me, where it's coming from.  I didn't have a corresponding B25 or B26 in my database for it, so I'm quite stumped.  It has to be pretty close since if I walk to the window, I get to about -95 dBm. 

When I leave today I'll see if I can determine where it might be coming from.  I was thinking that the B25 I started getting was from the adjacent building, but now I'm thinking it's this building (which would explain the -78 dBm or so I usually see, and I note a building permit on this building was approved in April though I can't tell for sure if it's Sprint).  I'm also thinking this B41 I'm seeing is from the adjacent building, but I am east of said building, unless the 33 is just pointed oddly.

- Trip

• Like 1

Walked into work this morning after a week and a half off and instead of sitting on B25 from the very strong B25 signal I get here these days, now I'm sitting on a new Sprint B41 signal. Sector is 33 (GCI is 0x0317F933), suggesting I'm looking at a west-facing panel but I can't tell, for the life of me, where it's coming from. I didn't have a corresponding B25 or B26 in my database for it, so I'm quite stumped. It has to be pretty close since if I walk to the window, I get to about -95 dBm.

When I leave today I'll see if I can determine where it might be coming from. I was thinking that the B25 I started getting was from the adjacent building, but now I'm thinking it's this building (which would explain the -78 dBm or so I usually see, and I note a building permit on this building was approved in April though I can't tell for sure if it's Sprint). I'm also thinking this B41 I'm seeing is from the adjacent building, but I am east of said building, unless the 33 is just pointed oddly.

- Trip

Just a suggestion...if you have Signal Check, try switching your phone to CDMA/3G only, then open the Signal Check app, and you should see an address that is clickable, and should launch Google Maps. Even though the addresses broadcast by the cell towers are usually not completely accurate, it should at least give you some idea where the cell tower is located.

Looks like my local clearwire tower is finally being prepped for conversion! Working on a clearer picture, but permit information is below.
uploadfromtaptalk1436467139518.jpg

6/4/2015 AN1500122 1230 13TH ST NW

Sprint proposes to remove their existing 12 antennas on penthouse wall and replace with 6 new antennas of similar size and weight. All replacement antennas are to be installed on existing Sprint mounting locations that will become vacant once the existing 12 antennas are removed.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looks like my local clearwire tower is finally being prepped for conversion! Working on a clearer picture, but permit information is below.

attachicon.gif 20150709_143457-1.jpg

6/4/2015 AN1500122 1230 13TH ST NW

Sprint proposes to remove their existing 12 antennas on penthouse wall and replace with 6 new antennas of similar size and weight. All replacement antennas are to be installed on existing Sprint mounting locations that will become vacant once the existing 12 antennas are removed.

Is that a Sprint/Clear colocation site?

Is that a Sprint/Clear colocation site?

I don't believe it is a legacy Sprint site, but it did host Nextel. My legacy Sprint tower (Site ID: WA57XC011)

is about 1500 feet southwest at 1120 Vermont Ave NW. That site finally got B25 a few months ago. I assume since it is a nondescript federal office building that slowed things down.

• Like 2

Remember when Frederick was a black hole of 3G? Woof.

Yes. I remember!! I remember only getting unusable 3G or 1x, now I pretty much get LTE almost everywhere I go (Band 25 and 26) and solid 3G and now Spark in that one area

• Like 1

Yes. I remember!! I remember only getting unusable 3G or 1x, now I pretty much get LTE almost everywhere I go (Band 25 and 26) and solid 3G and now Spark in that one area

I have noticed that I am on LTE most of the time in the entire DC/NoVA/MD area.

There are only a few locations where I drop to 3G.

Even in buildings, I am generally getting LTE, and 800 in basements and underground garages.

• Like 1

I've been seeing B41 second carrier in this area for months on certain sites.  The Clear sites have had it for a few months, while the Sprint 8T8R sites have been popping up over the past several weeks.

- Trip

• Like 2

Clear sites are those inherited from Sprint's purchase of Clearwire, and implemented using the Clearwire B41 equipment.  Sprint sites are those with newly installed Sprint B41 equipment.  When you use SignalCheck or SignalCheck Pro, it will identify each site as either a Clear or Sprint site.

- Trip

• Like 1

So I just thought I'd mention that while at a bar in Ocean City MD, Signal Check told me that I was connected to B41 Sprint LTE 2500, and the data was completely unable. I'm not talking about slow speeds, I'm talking about completely unusable data. Tapatalk wouldn't work, an email I sent wouldn't go through, and a text I sent wouldn't go through.

I actually had to manually switch my Nexus 6 to 3G only. I can see why some people get pissed off at Sprint. If I didn't know how to manually switch my phone to 3G,I'd be pissed off that my data wouldn't work.

UPDATE...I took a shot at putting my phone back to LTE mode. It reconnected to B41 Sprint LTE 2500, and for now, it seems to be working. The only difference is that there seem to be a few less people in the bar now, so that may be the difference.

So I just thought I'd mention that while at a bar in Ocean City MD, Signal Check told me that I was connected to B41 Sprint LTE 2500, and the data was completely unable. I'm not talking about slow speeds, I'm talking about completely unusable data. Tapatalk wouldn't work, an email I sent wouldn't go through, and a text I sent wouldn't go through.

I actually had to manually switch my Nexus 6 to 3G only. I can see why some people get pissed off at Sprint. If I didn't know how to manually switch my phone to 3G,I'd be pissed off that my data wouldn't work.

UPDATE...I took a shot at putting my phone back to LTE mode. It reconnected to B41 Sprint LTE 2500, and for now, it seems to be working. The only difference is that there seem to be a few less people in the bar now, so that may be the difference.

I highly doubt B41 was congested to the point of having no data at all. Sounds like the cell site might've just had a temporary issue or your signal was just extremely weak.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

I highly doubt B41 was congested to the point of having no data at all. Sounds like the cell site might've just had a temporary issue or your signal was just extremely weak.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

I bet your signal was just too weak. I've experienced that in the past and it started up again with the last S6e update. While I love B41, I wish my phone would better recognize that the signal is too weak and search for B25/B26.

• Like 4