Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

Has anyone noticed LTE speeds becoming a little sluggish in the DC area (I assume its because more and more people are starting to migrate over or use LTE) but I've been consistantly getting aroung 4 mbps down and 1.7 mbps up two months ago it was nothing to get a consistant 10 down 10 up.

Has anyone noticed LTE speeds becoming a little sluggish in the DC area (I assume its because more and more people are starting to migrate over or use LTE) but I've been consistantly getting aroung 4 mbps down and 1.7 mbps up two months ago it was nothing to get a consistant 10 down 10 up.

I wonder if it's because tons of people are running speed tests :-)

I was riding the Red line home today from Farragut North to Fort Totten. I was getting a 3G signal at the Gallery Place Chinatown and Metro Center stations while I was on the train. Does anyone know if Sprint is deploying 4G small cells at underground metro stations as part of Network Vision?

I'm pretty sure they did at the Fort Totten green line platform. If I stand near the outbound end of the platform (where all the new little micro cell panels recently popped up by the elevator), I get a strong LTE signal. But if I walk down towards the inbound end (the part that's under gound), my phone switches back to 3G.

Another observation: in Tyson's there is only one LTE site active (as far as I can tell) and it covers the area around the Mall, and tons of offices. At 2pm in the afternoon (When I would guess peak-traffic occurs) I am pulling sub 50ms pings and 2Mbps down/1.5Mbps up. Given the sheer saturation of the site and my sector I am impressed it's still operating at a half decent speed, as other sites go online these speeds will no doubt go up (as LTE traffic slides to adjacent sites). But for a "worst case" traffic situation it looks like NV is able to take it in stride.

I just got the new HTC One, and I too noticed that I seem to get full LTE only in a certain spot in the office I work in Tysons. The building I work in is on International Drive. Weirdly enough I get LTE in the kitchen, which is not near any windows.

Well, I hope more LTE sites go active in Tysons soon.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

I probably should have done that....

This is what Sprint tweeted to me today after I asked about progress near 20854 (emphasis obviously wrong):

Sprint Care @sprintcare @ferneau Thanks for the post. I do see that the towers in your area are scheduled to be completed in the next few months. Thanks! *SJL

Thanks to Robert and all the good folks at SG4RU. I learned a lot about how cell networks work. New job new cell plan moved over to Verizon.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned...

While riding in a car down I-395, thanks to Signal Check Pro, I notice that there is 4G coverage in Alexandria VA and Arlington VA.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just found LTE in germantown where Chicken fila is i couldn't do any speed tests cause i saw it when i was leaving so i couldnt see how fast it was and also i have an iPhone and cant map.

Just found LTE in germantown where Chicken fila is i couldn't do any speed tests cause i saw it when i was leaving so i couldnt see how fast it was and also i have an iPhone and cant map.

LTE and Chickfila.  Is there a better combo?  I think not!

Robert

• Like 1

LTE and Chickfila. Is there a better combo? I think not!

Robert

Oh boy, get a #1 large with a coke and ask for 1 bbq sauce. A match made in heaven.

Anyone else in the Old Town Alexandria area notice the LTE signal disappearing the last few days?  I have had LTE by my work for at least a month if not two albeit a little on the week side but suddenly I am getting all 3g.  Just wondering if others are seeing the same thing?

Robert why is this market dead? LTE rollout is slow compared to New York, Chicago and SF.

Considering we have NV 3G and LTE acceptances in each update I'd say it's pretty far from dead. Chicago was always faster due to the 3G handoff issues with legacy equipment AND the other cities started after us so are earlier in the NV process (20 new sites when you have 100 active already is a lot different than 20 new sites when you have 1000 active already, especially if you are just looking at the maps of sites).

That said, progress as a percentage of progress-to date will decline as you progress.... it's not like they are bringing in more crews, and as the market approaches completion things will slow down of course)

• Like 1

as the market approaches completion things will slow down of course

I wouldn't exactly call 22% site acceptance "approaching completion". It's frustrating that many (more than half) second-round markets have a higher completion rate. I agree, it's far from dead - but does sort of feel like we're the forgotten first-round market.

I wouldn't exactly call 22% site acceptance "approaching completion". It's frustrating that many (more than half) second-round markets have a higher completion rate. I agree, it's far from dead - but does sort of feel like we're the forgotten first-round market.

soso true

I have been pleasantly surprised with the LTE and 3g speeds that I have been getting in DC & VA.

Some of the metro stations even has great 3g with pings below 100 and fast down load speeds.  

Some of the metro stations even has great 3g with pings below 100 and fast down load speeds.  

I'm fairly certain this has absolutely nothing to do with Network Vision and everything to do with WMATA's contract with PowerWave Technologies to deploy system-wide cellular coverage underground.

It's still good news though!

That's actually incorrect, the number you reference is the LTE site acceptance rate which is really influenced by backhaul getting to the site than anything else. The NV completion rate is much higher. If you want to blame somebody I think it'd be whoever does a majority of the backhaul around here (Verizon? COX? Comcast?). Another thing that's a bit misleading about the 1st round second round comparison is that second round markets tend to be (and for good reason) smaller metro's  than the first rounders. Given a constant as far as available crews in a given geographic area, and cell density somewhat relative to population density you are probably going to see the smaller second round markets catch up to or overtake the larger first round markets as time progresses not because "Sprint has abandoned us" but because of fairly simple logistical reasons.

Anecdotally I'm noticing near universal increases in 3G performance even where there isn't yet live LTE, and I've noticed more areas with LTE and in places I had it already I've noticed better penetration as other sites go live.

I think it's a bit silly to call it a forgotten market, simply not true. Even in rural parts of the market where I used to have awful data service I am seeing dramatic increases in those speeds and the reliability of the data connection. And occasionally some LTE.

That's actually incorrect, the number you reference is the LTE site acceptance rate which is really influenced by backhaul getting to the site than anything else. The NV completion rate is much higher. If you want to blame somebody I think it'd be whoever does a majority of the backhaul around here (Verizon? COX? Comcast?). 

The post that both you and I were responding to was specifically in reference LTE, not NV; hence the 22% figure. Additionally, I don't need to blame anyone: I think we're all just blowing off a little steam and having some conversation. Not having the backhaul is actually a big deal. Installing a new EVDO airlink while leaving it connected to the same old congested T1 does nothing to enhance the customer experience in most cases.

Another thing that's a bit misleading about the 1st round second round comparison is that second round markets tend to be (and for good reason) smaller metro's  than the first rounders. Given a constant as far as available crews in a given geographic area, and cell density somewhat relative to population density you are probably going to see the smaller second round markets catch up to or overtake the larger first round markets as time progresses not because "Sprint has abandoned us" but because of fairly simple logistical reasons.

Market size is not a constant, and not even really relevant to this conversation. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that Sprint knew the size of the markets when they began planning deployment schedules and fired up the PR machine. Sprint has fallen behind their projected schedule, it's ok, we've all accepted it. Also, please don't place the phrase "Sprint has abandoned us" in quotes when replying to me. I never used it so please don't attribute it to me.

I think it's a bit silly to call it a forgotten market, simply not true. Even in rural parts of the market where I used to have awful data service I am seeing dramatic increases in those speeds and the reliability of the data connection. And occasionally some LTE.

Again, I never called it a forgotten market. Please re-read what I said. It's great news that you and other customers in rural areas are seeing improvement, and I'm happy for you. However I (and the majority of Sprint customers in the DC market) live, work, and play in the city. There hasn't been a whole lot of activity in some of the most densely populated areas of DC, and that's worth mentioning.

It's frustrating to lose the ability to use one's phone the minute one walks in to a building, while friends and co-workers with VZW and ATT experience no such issues with their service. I made the decision to switch to Sprint based on promises from their corporate sales staff, and information presented here on S4GRU, that led me to believe improvements were just around the corner. Nearly a year in to my contract, these improvements have failed to materialize. Ultimately it was my decision to sign up with Sprint and I'm ok with it. But it's human nature to want to find others to commiserate with, and I think it makes us all feel a little better knowing we're not the only ones holding our breath for NV/LTE completion. 

The post that both you and I were responding to was specifically in reference LTE, not NV; hence the 22% figure. Additionally, I don't need to blame anyone: I think we're all just blowing off a little steam and having some conversation. Not having the backhaul is actually a big deal. Installing a new EVDO airlink while leaving it connected to the same old congested T1 does nothing to enhance the customer experience in most cases.

Market size is not a constant, and not even really relevant to this conversation. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that Sprint knew the size of the markets when they began planning deployment schedules and fired up the PR machine. Sprint has fallen behind their projected schedule, it's ok, we've all accepted it. Also, please don't place the phrase "Sprint has abandoned us" in quotes when replying to me. I never used it so please don't attribute it to me.

Again, I never called it a forgotten market. Please re-read what I said. It's great news that you and other customers in rural areas are seeing improvement, and I'm happy for you. However I (and the majority of Sprint customers in the DC market) live, work, and play in the city. There hasn't been a whole lot of activity in some of the most densely populated areas of DC, and that's worth mentioning.

It's frustrating to lose the ability to use one's phone the minute one walks in to a building, while friends and co-workers with VZW and ATT experience no such issues with their service. I made the decision to switch to Sprint based on promises from their corporate sales staff, and information presented here on S4GRU, that led me to believe improvements were just around the corner. Nearly a year in to my contract, these improvements have failed to materialize. Ultimately it was my decision to sign up with Sprint and I'm ok with it. But it's human nature to want to find others to commiserate with, and I think it makes us all feel a little better knowing we're not the only ones holding our breath for NV/LTE completion. 

This is not the place to complain, and sorry if this seems a bit harsh but there are plenty of other places you can do that on the internet but this really isn't the venue to "vent". 

You are absolutely correct, if you switched to Sprint based on the expectation of LTE being deployed faster that was your own decision and frankly I'm not all that interested in hearing yet another person complain. I switched from a WiMax phone to an LTE handset thinking LTE would be deployed faster and it was disappointing that it's taken longer... I can live with that without resorting to commiserating as you say on a forum devoted to monitoring the progress. If you want to complain may I suggest doing so on Sprint's own forums, this is not the place.

I thought I'd counter with a bit of glass half full observations but it appears you aren't all that interested in that. And for the record I don't live in a rural area, I just get out a fair amount... picking up LTE in Shenandoah National Park while hiking was a thrill... but it doesn't tick me off that I see no LTE in town sometimes... that's just life and chance.

• Like 1

And adamo has been trolling this thread about the "slow LTE rollout" for a while, it nearly resulted in this thread being closed for a second time (only in DC I say!) so if I'm terse... thats why