HTC EVO LTE is not the only phone where you have to toggle to get 4G

kckid

My daughter has an Iphone 5 and lives in Lawrence KS, where Sprint has LTE service. She called the other day and said her phone was only connecting 3G. Using my experience with the HTC EVO LTE and its connection issues, I told her to toggle the airplane mode. Eureka, it immediately connected to 4G. Seems like the connection algorithm is not perfect on the Iphone 5 either.

• Like 1

My daughter has an Iphone 5 and lives in Lawrence KS' date=' where Sprint has LTE service. She called the other day and said her phone was only connecting 3G. Using my experience with the HTC EVO LTE and its connection issues, I told her to toggle the airplane mode. Eureka, it immediately connected to 4G. Seems like the connection algorithm is not perfect on the Iphone 5 either.[/quote']

Thanks for the report. I've had to do this for years to get 3G on many devices. Sometimes I just would get hung on 1x. I cycle through airplane mode and it forces an EVDO scan. No biggie. I've had to do it at least once on every device I've had. And some were worse than others. Like the OG EVO, GS2 and GNex. I imagine it will be the same for LTE occasionally even when things are going well.

If someone needs to force scan for LTE, cycling airplane mode is the best way to go.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

It won't switch to LTE during an active data session. My iPhone will attempt to connect to LTE randomly, even with a horrible signal. And when I'm on WiFi, it's even worse. It tries to connect to a -120dBm LTE signal. And fails. But with a good signal, it never fails to connect.

• Like 1

I wonder if the HTC scense is causeing the problem with 4G. I know sometimes I will turn on airplane mode and it take about 1 minute before it will shut off 3G. When I see this it tells me something is going on behind the scenes. So I wonder if by chance the phone has an internal data connection or something.

I wonder if the HTC scense is causeing the problem with 4G. I know sometimes I will turn on airplane mode and it take about 1 minute before it will shut off 3G. When I see this it tells me something is going on behind the scenes. So I wonder if by chance the phone has an internal data connection or something.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. But it seems all my devices of the past year or so take a long time to get into airplane mode after selection. Not just the EVO. Also the GS3, Note2, Viper, Photon Q the GNex. The last device I had that went into airplane mode quickly was the GS2.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. But it seems all my devices of the past year or so take a long time to get into airplane mode after selection. Not just the EVO. Also the GS3, Note2, Viper, Photon Q the GNex. The last device I had that went into airplane mode quickly was the GS2.

My Galaxy S 3 only takes about 7 seconds to enter or leave Airplane mode. I am not sure what my older phones took, but I do not consider 7 seconds to be poor. I do also see it lock onto LTE fairly quickly sometimes even in weak areas. Occasionally it does lag when finding LTE, but it is much much better at finding LTE than the HTC 4G LTE phone. I did have the HTC 4G LTE phone until it aggravated me and forced me to return it within my 14 day window. I traded it for the the Galaxy S3.

• Like 1

My Galaxy S 3 only takes about 7 seconds to enter or leave Airplane mode. I am not sure what my older phones took' date=' but I do not consider 7 seconds to be poor. I do also see it lock onto LTE fairly quickly sometimes even in weak areas. Occasionally it does lag when finding LTE, but it is much much better at finding LTE than the HTC 4G LTE phone. I did have the HTC 4G LTE phone until it aggravated me and forced me to return it within my 14 day window. I traded it for the the Galaxy S3.[/quote']

I would say on average it's 7-10 seconds for me. It feels like forever though. Seems like turning off the radios could be a much quicker endeavor. On the GS2, it was only a second or two.

I have had a few occasions where it has taken 30 seconds to a minute. Annoying.

I would say on average it's 7-10 seconds for me. It feels like forever though. Seems like turning off the radios could be a much quicker endeavor. On the GS2, it was only a second or two.

I have had a few occasions where it has taken 30 seconds to a minute. Annoying.

It takes no more then a second on my iPhone. Shouldn't be that hard... I've found that Androids take a while to connect to WiFi as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone that has a EVO LTE tell me what exactly has to be done to get it to connect to LTE? Is it just one toggle of the airplane mode? multiple toggles? is it the switching back and forth between LTE/CDMA and CDMA only? I'm curious based on the number of sites in my area that appear to be complete. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Can someone that has a EVO LTE tell me what exactly has to be done to get it to connect to LTE? Is it just one toggle of the airplane mode? multiple toggles? is it the switching back and forth between LTE/CDMA and CDMA only? I'm curious based on the number of sites in my area that appear to be complete. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

If you are in an area with a strong enough signal, you should only have to toggle once. Just turn on airplane mode, count to 4, turn off airplane mode. If your LTE signal is worse than -110 RSRP, sometimes it may take more than one to connect or not at all.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

This guy claims he was about to write a complaint article about how his EVO had horrible 3G service and he said suddenly the 4G icon popped up. In less than a second. WHAT?!?!?!?!

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/11/sprint-4g-lte-appearing-in-some-areas-of-nashville-tn.html