Network Vision/LTE - Tucson/Yuma Market

jasper7821

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

2.5 mini Mac with quad port antenna next to it.

Iirc they're spectrum constrained with the largest B41 carrier available being 15 MHz. Lots of non contiguous 6 MHz chunks all over.

I'm a little confused on what's happening here. Is this site B25/B26 only? 

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, lilotimz said:

2.5 mini Mac with quad port antenna next to it.

Iirc they're spectrum constrained with the largest B41 carrier available being 15 MHz. Lots of non contiguous 6 MHz chunks all over.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I totally missed the mini-mac, was looking in the wrong part of the photo. Interesting setup. Trying to squeeze everything out of B25 since B41 is limited?

1 hour ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I totally missed the mini-mac, was looking in the wrong part of the photo. Interesting setup. Trying to squeeze everything out of B25 since B41 is limited?

Guessing so. Thinking they likely used a RF combiner to a hex port antenna as typical ALU HC CDMA / LTE sites in the past did and they got rid of it for this setup. 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, xmx1024 said:

Not even sure where to begin to catch this thread up. 

A surprising number of Gig+ sites in Tucson.

I’ve uploaded a ton of speed test data to https://map.coveragemap.com

Thanks for posting.  This thread hasn't seen any action for some time!  🥳

Robert

Speedway and Harrison

IMG_0400.png

there’s two other gig+ sites east of Houghton, namely the site on Old Rocking K neighborhood (Valencia & Old Spanish Trail) and at Old Vail Middle School. I presume TMO prioritizes g+ on sites with higher than average HINT load. 

I can’t reference many others from memory but you can use the coveragemap URL to set filter >800mbps to find ‘em :) 

T-Mobile could greatly benefit from deploying a healthy small cell footprint in specific areas, such as the foothills and the side streets between Speedway and Grant near the University of Arizona (UofA). AT&T and Verizon both have a significant presence with small cells in these regions with Verizon having mmWave, LAA, licensed midband. By deploying NR 66, 25, and 41 on small cells in these locations, T-Mobile could significantly improve coverage and alleviate congestion issues. This would also reduce the load on nearby macro towers.

The challenges in the areas mentioned likely stem from factors like SINR issues due to macro tower density, sector arrangement, high population density, and surface clutter. Unfortunately, T-Mobile’s capacity in these areas is lacking, leading to latency issues of several hundred milliseconds and speeds below 3 Mbps on the mentioned side streets near UofA.

T-Mobile does have licenses for mmWave in this area and I may speculate they’ll address these areas with mmWave and midband NR once capex tapers off, especially considering the 12yr agreement T-Mobile has made to deploy a record deal of small cells with Crown Castle.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Okay, this thread is pretty behind and while I am tempted to bring it totally up to speed, I wanted to first start by sharing about my contributions to coveragemap.com - though I reside on the East side, I have contributed thousands of speed tests from all over Tucson and the surrounding areas to this site.

https://map.coveragemap.com/ 

If you select T-Mobile & filter results >800Mbps, you get a pretty good idea of the sites that have been upgraded to Gig+ which is a surprising amount! They're really picking up the pace here. You'll have to view while zoomed in a bit more than I would like, else the colored cells vanish and clump together strangely. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, xmx1024 said:

Okay, this thread is pretty behind and while I am tempted to bring it totally up to speed, I wanted to first start by sharing about my contributions to coveragemap.com - though I reside on the East side, I have contributed thousands of speed tests from all over Tucson and the surrounding areas to this site.

https://map.coveragemap.com/ 

If you select T-Mobile & filter results >800Mbps, you get a pretty good idea of the sites that have been upgraded to Gig+ which is a surprising amount! They're really picking up the pace here. You'll have to view while zoomed in a bit more than I would like, else the colored cells vanish and clump together strangely. 

It's great to see Southern Arizona.  Good to see the thread active and good to see you again.  It's exciting to see all that progress. This is a market the Sprint often overlooked and was last to the party.  And now Tmo has gone from the worst provider to the best.  

Robert

5 hours ago, S4GRU said:

It's great to see Southern Arizona.  Good to see the thread active and good to see you again.  It's exciting to see all that progress. This is a market the Sprint often overlooked and was last to the party.  And now Tmo has gone from the worst provider to the best.  

Robert

TMO has gobbled up many Sprint convert sites here and many dense areas have solid capacity and coverage due to this. Rita Ranch, which is a challenging tract home development type area, has solid low band coverage throughout due to the sites located at A Family Storage, atop Mesquite Elementary, Empire High School and the site behind Ace Hardware. Much of this I can attribute to NR and SA as it is not this way when handsets are set to LTE only. 

I believe Tucson is part of the PHX market (sites are PHX*****) and it seems that engineers have a pretty solid grasp on the market and how to best cover these areas. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...