Network Vision/LTE - Tucson/Yuma Market

jasper7821

I think he just gave me a quick short answer to my question as they were quite busy. The also said that the 800MHz equipment was being in installed, and that the IBEZ border wouldn't affect this tower.

I can go back if the crew is still there later today. What questions should I ask?

Wow! If Vail is not affected by the IBEZ then all of Tucson should get 800! That is really cool!

Even I-10/Cortaro is 106km from the border, within the 110km IBEZ. 100% of available City of Tucson plans don't include 800 RRUs (sponsors go read them yourselves if you don't believe me). I'm sorry, but until I see an 800 RRU bolted to a tower I firmly believe any reports of 800 RRUs being installed are BS.

Even I-10/Cortaro is 106km from the border, within the 110km IBEZ. 100% of available City of Tucson plans don't include 800 RRUs (sponsors go read them yourselves if you don't believe me). I'm sorry, but until I see an 800 RRU bolted to a tower I firmly believe any reports of 800 RRUs being installed are BS.

Ah, that is a shame. Hope they work out what ever they need to so they can use it. How far does 800mhz really travel?

I was back at the site today, but there was no ground crew present to ask questions.  Are the two middle connections on the antenna for the 800MHz band?

Here is a better shot of the antennas:

http://7eDigital.com/other/stower3.jpg

Edited by 7eDigital

I was back at the site today, but there was no ground crew present to ask questions.  Are the two middle connections on the antenna for the 800MHz band?

Here is a better shot of the antennas:

http://7eDigital.com/other/stower3.jpg

Yes, two middle connections are for 800. Doesn't look like it's getting hooked up. 

So when i was out about about today i noticed that my phone started connecting to EV-DO again. I have signal check so i tried to rest the connection a few times and it would find eHRDP for a bit but then go back to EV-DO. It completely lost connection at orange grove and river and then it started doing a PRL update on its own. Im back on eHRPD at my house but if i drive around it will connect to EV-DO again. Anyone else having the same problem as of late?

DDoS attack against Sprint's DNS vendor. It caused nationwide data outages throughout the day. Also happened to be pretty effective at dropping eHRPD apparently. Oddly, 4G LTE and WiMax were unaffected.

In addition, I had a customer come in with the data issues commenting about how his AT&T iPad was having issues, and a friend of mine with Verizon saying he was roaming for quite a while at home and at work (nowhere near each other), even after device restarts and such.

Today wasn't a good day for phones.

• Like 1

DDoS attack against Sprint's DNS vendor. It caused nationwide data outages throughout the day. Also happened to be pretty effective at dropping eHRPD apparently. Oddly, 4G LTE and WiMax were unaffected.

In addition, I had a customer come in with the data issues commenting about how his AT&T iPad was having issues, and a friend of mine with Verizon saying he was roaming for quite a while at home and at work (nowhere near each other), even after device restarts and such.

Today wasn't a good day for phones.

Oh crap! Wonder what that was all about? Too bad i didn't have any LTE to use :rolleyes: Hope they stop acting like children and stop messing up the net for no reason.. :td:

Oh crap! Wonder what that was all about? Too bad i didn't have any LTE to use :rolleyes: Hope they stop acting like children and stop messing up the net for no reason.. :td:

Initial investigation determined Anonymous was the source of the DDoS attack. They got it under control in just a couple hours, blocked all new inbound requests from external sources, and then had to do damage control after that. Every blade server was restarted in a rolling pattern, and all queues were cleared. This resulting "fix" then caused more data connectivity issues across Sprint's network as the servers were restarted one by one. It was very interesting to "watch" with my unscheduled random email updates throughout the day. The BCM (Business Continuity Management) team only sends updates as major things chance in an incident or if a set schedule has already been communicated in a previous update. Any time the BCM team is involved, I get happy little updates to spice up my day.

• Like 1

Will Sprint eventually be able to deploy LTE in some of the 800MHz band along the border when iDEN shuts down?

Or do they have to keep out of the 800MHz band completely within 113 km of the Mexican border?

Has nothing to do with iDEN. iDEN channels are interleaved with mexican channels, 25KHz for US, 25KHz for them, back and forth, so even after the iDEN shutdown mexican licensees may still be operating in every other 25KHz channel, effectively blocking the range, in which case there's no way to get a 1.25x1.25MHz CDMA carrier in there much less LTE until things are sorted out with Mexico and mexican licensees... and even once that's settled the plan calls for 5.5x5.5MHz co-primary for wideband operations, so they can't run CDMA plus a 5x5 LTE... so I'm not sure what the current plan is.

• Like 1

Has nothing to do with iDEN. iDEN channels are interleaved with mexican channels, 25KHz for US, 25KHz for them, back and forth, so there's no way to get a 1.25x1.25MHz CDMA carrier in there much less LTE until things are sorted out with Mexico and mexican licensees... and even once that's settled the plan calls for 5.5x5.5MHz co-primary for wideband operations, so they can't run CDMA plus a 5x5 LTE... so I'm not sure what the current plan is.

Best technical explanation ever in laymans terms. Good job.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Has nothing to do with iDEN. iDEN channels are interleaved with mexican channels, 25KHz for US, 25KHz for them, back and forth, so even after the iDEN shutdown mexican licensees may still be operating in every other 25KHz channel, effectively blocking the range, in which case there's no way to get a 1.25x1.25MHz CDMA carrier in there much less LTE until things are sorted out with Mexico and mexican licensees... and even once that's settled the plan calls for 5.5x5.5MHz co-primary for wideband operations, so they can't run CDMA plus a 5x5 LTE... so I'm not sure what the current plan is.

And, following SMR 800 MHz rebanding, the US primary (i.e. US exclusive) spectrum will shift down to the lowest 6.25 MHz FDD (806-812.25 MHz x 851-857.25 MHz).  That is obviously designed to protect Public Safety, which is moving to that low end of the band.  But it does nothing to help Sprint, which is moving to the high end of the band (817-824 MHz x 862-869 MHz).

AJ

817-818.5 x 862-863.5 will be mexico primary, though...

Yes, but Sprint is still licensed that spectrum on the US side of the border.  Sprint just may not be able to use much of it.

AJ

I see technicians working on a tower off of 18th st (& Riley) in Yuma for the last week.

Looks like they are installing the 800 mhz hardware ( looks like the photos found here on this site).

Maybe we'll get LTE before Christmas?????? A local Sprint store rep said in 3 weeks..... (right).

Lateck,

I can confirm work being done on the Wellton tower. I'll try to get a pic for you guys, its just that the tower is fenced inside of a storage facility.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I can confirm work being done on the Wellton tower. I'll try to get a pic for you guys, its just that the tower is fenced inside of a storage facility.

Good to see two towers being worked on at the same time. The one on Riley Ave and 18th is being upgraded too.

Ryan, do you travel to the Foothills much? I'm curious to see if any work as been done to the tower down by Foothills Boulevard south of I8.

I don't go up there that much so I can't confirm, but if you make that travel would you mind taking a gander?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Good to see two towers being worked on at the same time. The one on Riley Ave and 18th is being upgraded too.

Ryan, do you travel to the Foothills much? I'm curious to see if any work as been done to the tower down by Foothills Boulevard south of I8.

I don't go up there that much so I can't confirm, but if you make that travel would you mind taking a gander?

Well I go by it and see it but never actually go down that way. But I can confirm that the telegraph tower is completely down, zero service has been coming from the tower for roughly a month now. I hope its good news maybe they will finally fix it.

Next time I go through the foothills, I'll try to get a picture for you guy.

The wellton tower has boxes and spools of cable laying around. I didn't notice if they had new panels or not.

Well I go by it and see it but never actually go down that way. But I can confirm that the telegraph tower is completely down, zero service has been coming from the tower for roughly a month now. I hope its good news maybe they will finally fix it.

Next time I go through the foothills, I'll try to get a picture for you guy.

The wellton tower has boxes and spools of cable laying around. I didn't notice if they had new panels or not.

If it's on the ground, they will start working on it soon