Photon Q Software Update

owensri2

Motorola just released a software update for the Photon Q last night. I updated, and everything seemed fine. I noticed today that when making a call, the 3G icon disappears! It's like a phone without SVDO, but the data still works. The 3G icon doesn't stay on like it did before the update. The funny thing is, it won't come back after you hang up either, unless you toggle airplane mode, or you lose signal and it reconnects.

I guess Motorola overlooked this while testing the upate. Hope it gets fixed with the next release.

Anyone else that has updated having this issue? It's SW version 77.8.10.XT897.Sprint.en.US

Note in the screenshot below, that the 3G icon is not there, but "Mobile network state" is "Connected".

Screenshot_2012-10-31-17-04-19.png

• Like 1

Good luck! I'm still at 77.6.36.XT897.Sprint.en.US. Just tried updating, but I get a "Your device is up to date! No update is necessary at this time."

Good luck! I'm still at 77.6.36.XT897.Sprint.en.US. Just tried updating, but I get a "Your device is up to date! No update is necessary at this time."

Yeah, same here, no luck yet. Were you unlocked and rooted prior to this update owen?

Yeah, same here, no luck yet. Were you unlocked and rooted prior to this update owen?

No, my phone is completely stock, not rooted. Only thing I changed was the PRL, to 56006 to get 3G while roaming.

My mom's photon q had an odd "registration" error message yesterday. It was stuck in 1xrtt. After a reboot it was fine, but I've never seen the error before. She is unlocked and rooted, i didn't check software version.

My mom's photon q had an odd "registration" error message yesterday. It was stuck in 1xrtt. After a reboot it was fine, but I've never seen the error before. She is unlocked and rooted, i didn't check software version.

Mine has done that quite a bit, but it only happens in areas with eHRPD. I first noticed it in Chicago back in September, but now that we have eHRPD enabled here it is doing it randomly as well.

Mine has done that quite a bit, but it only happens in areas with eHRPD. I first noticed it in Chicago back in September, but now that we have eHRPD enabled here it is doing it randomly as well.

we just got eHRPD this week, so that makes sense

what is eHRPD? i have been seeing the registration errors here in Los Angeles pretty much daily. there is talk that it is related to the LTE network(?), and that this is one issue that was to be addressed in the software update.

edit: found eHRPD in the FAQ :D

Edited by yrrchsebor

what is eHRPD? i have been seeing the registration errors here in Los Angeles pretty much daily. there is talk that it is related to the LTE network(?), and that this is one issue that was to be addressed in the software update.

eHRPD is related to LTE, you can read more about it here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1819-what-is-ehrpd/page__p__52976#entry52976

• Like 1

I chatted with Sprint a little while ago, and they said there is currebtly no such update! Could it be that they pulled it due to bugs? (Forgot to ask that)

Well isn't that peachy...

My phone has been slightly buggy since the update, being sluggish and slow at times. Other than the 3G icon disappearing when making a call and not coming back until you cycle Airplane mode or lose signal and it reconnects, there isn't too much of a difference. I wonder if there is any way I can revert back...

Damn. Actually there is a way to revert, with some work. I haven't done all of this, but others have:

Unlock bootloader, if you haven't already. Head over to the Photon Q development forums at XDA, flash TWRP recovery, then download the stock restore file and restore it thru the recovery. You can always reflash stock recovery after that if you don't want a custom recovery on your device. If you are interested in all this I can provide links.

Unfortunately I don't know if there is a way to revert without voiding your warranty. There is a 3rd party root exploit, but I don't know if you can flash a custom recovery without the Moto bootloader unlock.

Otherwise if you did catch a buggy update, that sucks and hopefully they will release a fixed one very soon. You could probably complain to Sprint/Moto and see what they might offer you, hehe.

Sent from my XT897 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Damn. Actually there is a way to revert, with some work. I haven't done all of this, but others have:

Unlock bootloader, if you haven't already. Head over to the Photon Q development forums at XDA, flash TWRP recovery, then download the stock restore file and restore it thru the recovery. You can always reflash stock recovery after that if you don't want a custom recovery on your device. If you are interested in all this I can provide links.

Unfortunately I don't know if there is a way to revert without voiding your warranty. There is a 3rd party root exploit, but I don't know if you can flash a custom recovery without the Moto bootloader unlock.

Otherwise if you did catch a buggy update, that sucks and hopefully they will release a fixed one very soon. You could probably complain to Sprint/Moto and see what they might offer you, hehe.

Yeah, I'll probably just hang tight until an official update. I mean it's not really bad, just slight quirks that are annoying. I'll just deal with it until then. Hopefully not too long, since they must have something in the works releasing this update.

Well, I got the update today, and so did seemingly everyone else. Seems ok to me, and no one else is reporting any problems. Any change for you, any new update or anything?

Well, I got the update today, and so did seemingly everyone else. Seems ok to me, and no one else is reporting any problems. Any change for you, any new update or anything?

I just checked. No new update.

So, your 3G icon doesn't disappear when making a call?

I just checked. No new update.

So, your 3G icon doesn't disappear when making a call?

I did get a brief phone call but forgot to look right after. A short while later I did notice my 3G icon was missing, but it soon came back on it's own. Will keep you posted...

I got off a call and my 3G icon did not come back for 5 mins. or so. Then the phone seeemed to automatically reconnect, and the icon came back.

Also, I am in an area that is supposed to have strong 4G, but I am not getting any 4G signal. However, I had not been to this area before the update. Will have to go to where I have been connecting to 4G and see if it still works there.

Update: 4G works fine.

Does the 4G go away like 3G does when on a call? Just curious. Not that it's an issue, since data still works regardless if the icon is there or not. It's just a minor nuisance.

Does the 4G go away like 3G does when on a call? Just curious. Not that it's an issue, since data still works regardless if the icon is there or not. It's just a minor nuisance.

So far, no. I just tried a call and the icon never dissapeared at all. I could even load data while on the call.