Network Vision/LTE - Upstate New York Markets - Central & East (including Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, Ithaca, Utica)

bstrignano

4G spotted this morning in Schenectady! 4000kbps down, 10932kbps up. I was expecting more out of the down, but maybe its not enabled at full speeds yet. That was with 4 of 5 bars signal strength.

The 4G icon did NOT say "LTE".

Edited by controlsfreek

4G spotted this morning in Schenectady! 4000kbps down, 10932kbps up. I was expecting more out of the down, but maybe its not enabled at full speeds yet. That was with 4 of 5 bars signal strength.

The 4G icon did NOT say "LTE".

Only the iPhone says LTE. Any other LTE capable smartphone on Sprint says 4G.

I checked out the schenectady area last night and the download speed is pretty weak for now. I'm sure it will be fine when they are done testing. Someone mapped a lot more area in Albany as well this morning. Looks like we have at least 3 lte sites testing at the moment :)

Pretty sure there is a 4th site over by st peters hospital broadcasting a nice strong lte signal.

I used to live on Pinewood between St. Peters and Albany Med. That whole neioghborhood had WIMAX.  So the backhaul was already there and the connection was good, ~10mbit down 5 up.

I saw people mapping LTE along the same route, but two days ago I did not pick up LTE there. 

I DID have LTE flip on my iPhone 5 while using Waze going down i-90 by the Everett Rd Exit. Fromn there to about Corporate woods the signal stayed on.  Did get to test the speed as I was driving.

• Like 1

Yeah lte is popping up around albany which is great... already more lte coverage then wimax ever had. still not sure why there are little pockets of wimax around since clearwire never offered service here. anyone know what they are for?

A bit more testing around Clifton Park.  It seems like there are two towers with upgrades and one broadcasting LTE.

It can be seen near exit 9 from Clifton Commons.

The other one on the Halfmoon Side seems to have NV upgrades for 3G.  Speedtests on 3G were 1.2mbit symmertrical, and 3G on the LTE site is about 1.5 symmetrical. I ran nearly a dozen tests.

What is neat is that LTE holds on as long as possible to your phone. So if you are comming up north you would have full 3G and then it drops to 1 bar of LTE. 

That being said, you can be right next to the tower as I was, went into Petco to get some dogfood and it signal dropped to 3G. 3G inside the store was still above 1 mbit barely, which is much better than the 200/100kbit we usually get. 1900 does not penetrate buildings at all even next to the tower.  This is like WIMAX all over again.

I had WIMAX for years when I lived next to St. Peters.  It would for from full to 1-2 bars inside. We really need that 800Mhz penetration, because VZ here is LTE everywhere and building or not it stays up well.  My work phone is VZ LTE and it is rock solid, we need this on sprint.

• Like 1

Anybody know the backhaul timeframe for the Binghamton area? As far as I know, there are only a small handful of sites that aren't 3G accepted yet, so we've been running the new equipment in 99% of Broome County for some time now. Is backhaul the only thing preventing a few of these sites from lighting up LTE?

Not expecting a full launch until 2014 at least, but a few towers at least testing it out would be cool :-) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Endicott NY seems to have another tower live. Could be Skye Island drive or 333 Hooper. Just got a faint LTE signal at my house in Endwell! Excited :)

I live on Hooper near Watson. Had full bars in my driveway. Ran speed test. 3.46 Mbps down and 6.18 Mbps up. Not what I expected but I'm just excited to see the 4g symbol on my phone.

• Like 1

Nice! I just went out for a drive and confirmed it's the 333 Hooper site. Got 26Mbps down and 6Mbps up on Hooper near M&T bank. Once the Skye Island Dr. site gets new backhaul I'm sure the speeds will be more consistent around here. Skye Island speeds on 3G are absolutely dreadful even when parked near the base, it's completely overloaded. New panels, but no backhaul yet. 

• Like 1

Few more towers in Albany downtown and north of Albany.

So I am getting pretty good signal around downtown plaza area near Swan in Albany, which now allows you to drive essentially Almost the legnth of the city without losing LTE.

Also the tower by the twin bridges is now broadcasting strong LTE signal (22/7 yesterday I may have been the one person using it though).  Getting a very strong signal walking my dog in north part of Latham. 

LTE signal now stays up from about exit 6 to 10 on the northway. 

Albany is becoming usable with almost all the main areas doing tower to tower handoff correctly and broadcasting LTE. 

• Like 1

Few more towers in Albany downtown and north of Albany.

So I am getting pretty good signal around downtown plaza area near Swan in Albany, which now allows you to drive essentially Almost the legnth of the city without losing LTE.

Also the tower by the twin bridges is now broadcasting strong LTE signal (22/7 yesterday I may have been the one person using it though).  Getting a very strong signal walking my dog in north part of Latham. 

LTE signal now stays up from about exit 6 to 10 on the northway. 

Albany is becoming usable with almost all the main areas doing tower to tower handoff correctly and broadcasting LTE. 

Yeah, I was picking up LTE from South Swan all the way down to N Pearl. Didn't get a chance to do a Speedtest, but it's exciting we're finally getting some LTE love here.

• Like 1