Network Vision/LTE - Upstate New York Markets - Central & East (including Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, Ithaca, Utica)

bstrignano

11 hours ago, Joski1624 said:

My observation is that a 10x10  B25 carrier performs nearly identically to a 3x3 B26 carrier at the cell coverage edge when measured outdoors.  Once the signal strength drops below -115 on a 3MHz carrier, data throughput starts to really suffer.  An additional -10dB  can be tacked onto a B25 10x10 carrier before it suffers the same fate.  Maybe the only advantage is slightly better indoor coverage for B26.

I'm finding roughly the same thing here in Western Washington.  Our 3x3 B26 carrier *barely* extends coverage beyond our 10x10 B25 carrier.  B26 is nice, but it is not a game changer in a 3MHz channel width.  However, the bright side in this is that our B26 carriers are performing well, around 8-12Mbps in most places.  Probably due to aggressive band management.

Robert

• Like 3

15 hours ago, S4GRU said:

I'm finding roughly the same thing here in Western Washington.  Our 3x3 B26 carrier *barely* extends coverage beyond our 10x10 B25 carrier.  B26 is nice, but it is not a game changer in a 3MHz channel width.  However, the bright side in this is that our B26 carriers are performing well, around 8-12Mbps in most places.  Probably due to aggressive band management.

Robert

Part of me wonders if some of what we’re seeing is due to the new equipment Sprint is using. Accoriding to local network engineers, the new KMW 16-port antennas Sprint is deploying are definitely inferior to the old NV anennas Sprint was using as far as range and spread of coverage go...

8 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Part of me wonders if some of what we’re seeing is due to the new equipment Sprint is using. Accoriding to local network engineers, the new KMW 16-port antennas Sprint is deploying are definitely inferior to the old NV anennas Sprint was using as far as range and spread of coverage go...

Or they're doing it how they initially brought up B26 in most markets where it wouldn't really be better in coverage than B25 and then later on optimized it. 

19 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Or they're doing it how they initially brought up B26 in most markets where it wouldn't really be better in coverage than B25 and then later on optimized it. 

That’s very possible; maybe it’s a combination of both. The loss in L1900 coverage with the new antennas makes me a little biased against them, though...

On 3/31/2018 at 12:00 PM, RAvirani said:

That’s very possible; maybe it’s a combination of both. The loss in L1900 coverage with the new antennas makes me a little biased against them, though...

I'm not noticing a loss in B25 coverage on the new antennas in Olympia. However, they are mostly in well overlapping locations currently. I need to try some edge of cell conditions on sectors facing out of town. 

Robert

2 hours ago, S4GRU said:

I'm not noticing a loss in B25 coverage on the new antennas in Olympia. However, they are mostly in well overlapping locations currently. I need to try some edge of cell conditions on sectors facing out of town. 

Robert

According to my local Sprint engineer, the new antennas have inferior spread compared to the old ones. This translates to coverage loss in some scenarios but not all. 

I’ve run into problems (that previously didn’t exist) mostly in the null zones between sectors and in hilly areas where my elevation is considerably different from that of the RAT center. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just found a new site in Walton NY. Very small town in between NY17 and I88. I haven't been there since November 2016 so Im not sure how new this could be but its not on the coverage maps. I was only able to pick up 1x800 or B26 LTE. Noticed high ping time but the server was in NYC.  

Q9HGrrW.png?1

4P7s1nR.png?1

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

Just found a new site in Walton NY. Very small town in between NY17 and I88. I haven't been there since November 2016 so Im not sure how new this could be but its not on the coverage maps. I was only able to pick up 1x800 or B26 LTE. 

Maybe it’s an 800-only eFemto?

2 hours ago, burnout8488 said:

Wow, nice find. This isn't marked anywhere, not even as a future site... And it must be a full-build if it's B26. Interesting!!

It looks like you were pretty close, were there any towers nearby? 

I didn't see anything but I'll check again on my way back home

6 hours ago, mirskyc said:
Just found a new site in Walton NY. Very small town in between NY17 and I88. I haven't been there since November 2016 so Im not sure how new this could be but its not on the coverage maps. I was only able to pick up 1x800 or B26 LTE. Noticed high ping time but the server was in NYC.  

Nextel conversion  @ 12010 Chandler Drive?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

So it's a new site. Is it only B26 or do you not have that info

Up to you to figure out. It's likely  dual band  or triband with the other equipment not yet live. 

was . able to go back and get some more data. I noticed when i made a call it bounced me to verizon roaming. Also along my trip i was also roaming on ATT LTE which is pretty fast for roaming, ranged from .06mbps to .35mbps,, but would hit peak speeds of 1mbps during the test towards the beginning. 

I was able to snap some pics of the tower and it appears to be a temp site on a trailer. pings were high again so it might be satellite fed even though there is probably coax available for ethernet. Im curious if this site was set up for an event or just to save money on roaming. possibly until they add to the existing site right next to it. The tower appear to be pretty packed from Verizon, ATT and TMobile. Maybe they are waiting for new bigger tower to be build. I'll do some research for permits later tonight. 

sorry for the blurry pics, the driver didn't want to get closer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

was . able to go back and get some more data. I noticed when i made a call it bounced me to verizon roaming. Also along my trip i was also roaming on ATT LTE which is pretty fast for roaming, ranged from .06mbps to .35mbps,, but would hit peak speeds of 1mbps during the test towards the beginning. 

I was able to snap some pics of the tower and it appears to be a temp site on a trailer. pings were high again so it might be satellite fed even though there is probably coax available for ethernet. Im curious if this site was set up for an event or just to save money on roaming. possibly until they add to the existing site right next to it. The tower appear to be pretty packed from Verizon, ATT and TMobile. Maybe they are waiting for new bigger tower to be build. I'll do some research for permits later tonight. 

sorry for the blurry pics, the driver didn't want to get closer.

Nice find!

It's pretty typical for a COLT or COW to be deployed as a semi permanent solution until the final entitlements are procured and equipment are deployed on the macro site. 

@S4GRU

• Like 3

I will be going back to Oneonta again this weekend but will be taking a different path through the catskills. I will be driving through Delhi Ny and I have a feeling I will find another temp site. The town has a small college so there is probably a lot of people visiting that have Sprint. It's the only carrier with no service in Delhi. 

• Like 1