Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

I've been searching all over the forums for 4G LTE updates in Orange County, CA. Any news of Alcatel/Lucent or knowledge of whether or not Sprint will begin the upgrades on schedule?

I've been searching all over the forums for 4G LTE updates in Orange County' date=' CA. Any news of Alcatel/Lucent or knowledge of whether or not Sprint will begin the upgrades on schedule? [/quote']

Upgrades have already begun in Orange County. Over in our Sponsor section we show completed Network Vision/LTE sites in all markets. Even in Orange County.

For more information about becoming a Sponsor: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

I've been noticing painfully slow speeds in Brea and Yorba Linda for the past few days - makes me wonder if they're already starting up here? Usually I get 0.2 - 0.3 Mbps in the area, but today and yesterday I was getting 0.02 - 0.05 Mbps. Now I know why Spotify has not been able to stream music :)

Also, I'm suddenly dropping to 1x in areas where I didn't have problems a couple weeks ago... Curious.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea when Sprint will be getting LTE in Orange County? If I recall correctly 1st LTE sites were supposed to start in November. Nothing as of yet. Maybe Alcatel Lucent has been busy allocating resources to its other markets hit by Sandy? I hope not.

I've been noticing painfully slow speeds in Brea and Yorba Linda for the past few days - makes me wonder if they're already starting up here? Usually I get 0.2 - 0.3 Mbps in the area, but today and yesterday I was getting 0.02 - 0.05 Mbps. Now I know why Spotify has not been able to stream music :)

Also, I'm suddenly dropping to 1x in areas where I didn't have problems a couple weeks ago... Curious.

That is usual,here In these parts of LA where we have LTE already,days or weeks before was like that,crazy one day super high speeds and the other day not even 300KBPS and sudden drops to 1x and constantly switching between EVDO and eHPRD.

That is usual,here In these parts of LA where we have LTE already,days or weeks before was like that,crazy one day super high speeds and the other day not even 300KBPS and sudden drops to 1x and constantly switching between EVDO and eHPRD.

Ironically only a couple days after I posted, OG73XC756 was completed. That tower is right down the street from me. That solves the mystery!

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea when Sprint will be getting LTE in Orange County? If I recall correctly 1st LTE sites were supposed to start in November. Nothing as of yet. Maybe Alcatel Lucent has been busy allocating resources to its other markets hit by Sandy? I hope not.

AlcaLu seems to like to have several dozen sites in a market complete before they start testing. Probably will be mid December before you start seeing the first live sites in the OC. Launch will be not be until Q1-2013.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

In Lakewood, CA. Had to have direct view and prl update to connect. I went to a spot and wouldn't connect after prl update. I went to another spot to get a clear shot and it connected after prl update. I then went back to the first spot and it stayed connected.

In Lakewood' date=' CA. Had to have direct view and prl update to connect. I went to a spot and wouldn't connect after prl update. I went to another spot to get a clear shot and it connected after prl update. I then went back to the first spot and it stayed connected.[/quote']

It is not a PRL change that allowed you to connect. What happens after a PRL is updated, is it forces your device to LTE scan. Cycling airplane mode also forces LTE scan, or rebooting your device. All would have resulted in you getting LTE in that location.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Is the issue with the EVO and S3 having to have basically direct view if the tower to connect?

No. They just need to force scan for LTE. It will connect on its own, if you wait for it to scan on its own. Cycling airplane mode will force the device to scan for LTE.

Robert

Robert, What i've noticed around the few sites I've been in front of is that the LTEVO won't pick up the signal for nearly a minute. Even testing the phone in LTE only, this same situation happens. I also notice that with direct line of sight it is still only strong for about a block. At work, i'm in the middle of a LTE dead zone, but if i go to the back of the plant i get it. really annoying, but without another phone to compare, it's useless.

Robert, What i've noticed around the few sites I've been in front of is that the LTEVO won't pick up the signal for nearly a minute. Even testing the phone in LTE only, this same situation happens. I also notice that with direct line of sight it is still only strong for about a block. At work, i'm in the middle of a LTE dead zone, but if i go to the back of the plant i get it. really annoying, but without another phone to compare, it's useless.

The EVO LTE also loses signal prematurely compared to other devices. The EVO LTE likes to have a strong LTE signal. It seems some EVO's are more sensitive than others. At least anecdotally. I would love to see someone do a comparison of several EVO's together while driving away from a site. I've only compared it to other LTE devices.

Robert

Two questions. Does HTC LTE phones have the same issue on different carriers? And why does the evos need a direct shot to connect? At least mine did.

I do not know about other carriers. However, the EVO LTE does not need a direct shot. It needs a moderate to strong signal. That can be achieved with Line of Sight. For most people, going into 1x/LTE mode allows for a weak LTE signal on the EVO. However, a few have reported that it doesn't help them.

Robert

Sometimes I wonder why I even stick with Sprint, but I finally realized that us Sprint customers have it okay, unlimited data, decent plans, decent customer service. My Brother has the iPhone 5 on Verizon and he already went over his allotted 2GB of data. When I use his phone it's amazing fast, reliable and he never has to ask himself if he is connected to a legacy or a NV tower. It must be nice..... on the other hand, Verizon is a huge rip off cash cow of a company so let's just stop there. I appreciate Sprint's focus now on its network and customer experience. Most of my Family had Sprint at some point and jumped ship to Verizon. Sadly because of Sprint's lackluster network here in OC. I can't blame them. Some days I feel stupid for renewing my contract with Sprint and not going to another carrier, and somedays I have hope that a day will come when I won't be embarrassed to have Sprint as my provider anymore. The Speeds in Costa Mesa, CA and Irvine are beyond pathetic. Even my friends on T-Mobile never have a problem even if it's "fake 4G" at least it works and is there. S4GRU is my only source for Evidence of Advancements for Sprint. I want Sprint to succeed for some reason, I don't know why I just do. I Thank S4GRU for giving us hope in our battle against the telecom crisis in America. Long live S4GRU! Any signs of LTE here in OC anyone?

• Like 2

Robert, any idea when the sites already being worked on here in orange county will actually start broadcasting LTE?

I would guess it is still 30 - 45 days before signals start being tested in the O.C. at some of the first converted 3G sites. However, I do not have an actual date at this time.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

Sometimes I wonder why I even stick with Sprint, but I finally realized that us Sprint customers have it okay, unlimited data, decent plans, decent customer service. My Brother has the iPhone 5 on Verizon and he already went over his allotted 2GB of data. When I use his phone it's amazing fast, reliable and he never has to ask himself if he is connected to a legacy or a NV tower. It must be nice..... on the other hand, Verizon is a huge rip off cash cow of a company so let's just stop there. I appreciate Sprint's focus now on its network and customer experience. Most of my Family had Sprint at some point and jumped ship to Verizon. Sadly because of Sprint's lackluster network here in OC. I can't blame them. Some days I feel stupid for renewing my contract with Sprint and not going to another carrier, and somedays I have hope that a day will come when I won't be embarrassed to have Sprint as my provider anymore. The Speeds in Costa Mesa, CA and Irvine are beyond pathetic. Even my friends on T-Mobile never have a problem even if it's "fake 4G" at least it works and is there. S4GRU is my only source for Evidence of Advancements for Sprint. I want Sprint to succeed for some reason, I don't know why I just do. I Thank S4GRU for giving us hope in our battle against the telecom crisis in America. Long live S4GRU! Any signs of LTE here in OC anyone?

Lol. LTE/3g enhancements will come. Just takes patience. Though I, like many, don't agree with sprints way of going through with this overhaul in many more ways than one, at least its coming. Been with lackluster sprint for many years. And like every other company it seems, their views or decisions differ from what we seem is right. Like, touting premium LTE devices where as only a few million of sprints subscribers may be enjoying the enhancement. Lol, we'll be on our next phone before the deployment is actually sustainable through out our travels as WiMAX sort of once was. But, sprint has a ton of hope. A ton of opportunity. That's what makes it fun to actually stick around and continue rooting for them. Patience my friend. That's all you need.

I would guess it is still 30 - 45 days before signals start being tested in the O.C. at some of the first converted 3G sites. However, I do not have an actual date at this time.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

I'll take that. Any ideas are good ideas. And since my signal runs off one of the converted towers, good days are ahead :)