Airave / Evo 4g Lte data connection but not voice

jsolo

As of last thursday (10-18), lte has been turned on in my area. Since then, my evo has been unable to connect to the airave for voice function. That, when the phone is on 3g, I can see the mobile light flashing on the airave and data speeds are indicative of being passed through it. However if I place a call, I don't get the usual 3 beeps, and there are no signs of the call being funnel through the airave.

I've tried a number of different things including updating profile, prl, rebooting everything multiple times.

Interestingly, the SID the phone attaches to now is a 5 digit (22439), where as before it was a 4 digit (sid 4384, nid =50, and when on the airave, nid=502).

I find it strange that the phone would even connect in such a manner - data=airave, and voice = tower.

I got a ticket in with sprint, but thus far no resolution.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I would turn the phone on and off or try going into airplane mode and back out? Also try setting your phone to CDMA only to see if that fixes it in the short term. And finally try pressing the little reset button in the back of the device and see what happens first. I know how you feel as I have two Airave 2.0's and recently they have been going nuts. They constantly blink orange on the mobile light and are off in the morning leaving my phone with no signal all night. Messages have been backing up for hours or days! Arg.

^^Tried all of the above already. This too is a airave 2.0 (got it about jan/feb of 2011). All solid lights on the device, just no connectivity.

I don't know if it's coincidence or not that this started happening the same time lte went live around here.

^^Tried all of the above already. This too is a airave 2.0 (got it about jan/feb of 2011). All solid lights on the device, just no connectivity.

I don't know if it's coincidence or not that this started happening the same time lte went live around here.

I can't imagine it being tied to the LTE deployment. Have you tried also resetting your other wireless and internet equipment. First unplug everything and then plug the modem back in, then the router and finally the Airave. I personally think it's your phone but I don't know as mine is driving me up a wall. Have you tried another phone? I have two Airaves and one works great and the other works worse then dirt. Can I ask you a question? Where you live did you see a change in signal? I live in an area where I only get 100+ signal which represents about 1 or 2 bars and it usually loses signal every few minutes. I'm hoping after the network vision comes and they change all the antennas I should get 2-3 bars as I remember reading we should see a 10-20% signal increase (voice not 3G or LTE). Maybe with the upgrades in your area you don't even need the Airave anymore? Have you noticed a better signal? Thanks

EDIT: Dude I am having the same exact issue you are right now! My mobile light is flashing (as if it is being used) and the other lights are solid. I have reset it via the reset button three times and every time it finishes booting up it the mobile light stays flashing. It is not working though as I'm standing right next to mine and I have crappy signal. I'm going to try and reset one more time or pull the plug instead?

Edited by Fifth313ment

Yes, everything has been power cycled in various orders several times. Airave has also been hard reset (30s on the reset button in the back).

It may very well be the phone, as the SID #'s have changed (see first post). There is a marginally stronger voice signal (-97 to -100 dbm or so). Unfortunately, I have no other sprint phone to test out here. There are several towers serving this area, but I seem to be at the fringe ends of each.

Fwiw, lte connectivity is also sporadic, bouncing between the airave's 3g and lte numerous times throughout the day. Signal level close to -120dbm on that typically (-117, -119, etc..)

I got mine to work by resetting it again and then after all the lights go on and then off after pressing the back button I unplugged it for 5 secs and then plugged it back in and now it's working again.

At least you got a stronger signal in voice. I wish HTC would release a 4G LTE icon like they did on the OG EVO 4G widget so you would disable LTE when you get home easily from your homescreen and then you would be set. Wait a minute? If you have WiFi on your EVO LTE on shouldn't it only connect to voice from your Airave? I'm not sure as I don't have LTE to test, lucky you, lol. :P

Those 22xxx SIDs are indeed 800smr cdma system ids. On many of the LTE devices the prl is designed for your phone to connect to this sid over your regular pcs sid. You airave is broadcasting the pcs sid so any sprint device can connect to it. Once your phone connects to the 800smr it searches for a sprint Evdo or lte connection. It looks like it is finding your airave for data. This is why you see the mobile blinking for data usage but for voice and text your phone uses the tower.

I never really thought of this scenario but it makes total sense and I could see lots of people in this situation. What is really bad is if the 800smr is marginal the phone will continue to try to use it basically rendering the airave useless.

The fix? For normal users there really isn't one. Unless sprint comes out with an Airave to support 800smr, or Sprint moves the priority around on the prl. But for marketing sakes people want to see the "more bars" on their phones. Maybe sprint needs to create an Airave special prl for every device. But then you won't have more bars when you are out and about. They probably won't do anything at this time to be honest with you.

The geek factor fix? Load your own prl with no 800smr support. The proton lte and iphone 5 both run the 55008 prl that does not have 800smr in it. You would lose the extra cover that 800smr provides.

The uber geek digiblur fix? Usually the airaves are on their own NID. A NID is a subset of a SID. Find out the NID of the airave from another device that lacks 800smr. Create another record in the prl with that one NID instead of the wildcard of 65535 and place it above the 800smr sid. Then you have the best of both worlds!

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 2

The uber geek digiblur fix? Usually the airaves are on their own NID. A NID is a subset of a SID. Find out the NID of the airave from another device that lacks 800smr. Create another record in the prl with that one NID instead of the wildcard of 65535 and place it above the 800smr sid. Then you have the best of both worlds!

I think this is doable. I already know the sid/nid of the airave from past observations, so all I really need to do is edit the prl. Worth a shot. Will report back.

Edit: What's a suitable tool for actually editing the file. I can read/write it to the phone already.

Edited by jsolo

I think this is doable. I already know the sid/nid of the airave from past observations, so all I really need to do is edit the prl. Worth a shot. Will report back.

Edit: What's a suitable tool for actually editing the file. I can read/write it to the phone already.

RL Editor. I would be glad to give you a hand as you will need to associate it with the right data record index and acquisition index as well.

Post the sid NID combination and what prl you want to start with. And I can tell you what needs to be done.

Digiblur, messing with the prl seems to affect the airrave connectivity.

If I remove the 22439 (line 465 in prl 25006), then I get the airrave back for voice. However I don't think this is the desired effect.

I just don't know how to create a proper record(s) that will give sid/nid 4384/502 priority over 22439 (when near the airrave or it's on).

Here's what the stock 25006 looks like - lines 465 and 472.

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/5928/prlb.jpg

Edited by jsolo

I wouldn't remove the 22439 as this removes the wonderful coverage that 800SMR brings. You could just flash 55008(Photon/iphone 5 PRL) if you wanted that. Let me take a look at it 25xxx.

Interesting, my NID for the airave is 502 as well, wonder if that is the universal airave NID.

Ok... here's what you want to do. Scroll down to 465. This should be the 22439 SID record with the Geo set to New. This is the first record in your geographic area. Right Click on the 95(A,B)1x system type of this record. Don't change it, just right click on it and hit insert record. This should push 22439 down one record.

Now look at 4384, it should be on record 473 now. Let's use this as a model for our new record.

1.On the blank #465 record, change it to 95(A,B)/1x.

2.Change Neg/Pref to Pref (if you put Neg, this tells your phone not to use this)

3.Geography is going to be New (will change the one below it in a few)

4.Priority will be More (means this record has more priority than the next one)

5.Acq Index will be the same as 4384 (tells it which channels to scan), should be 14.

6.Roam Indicator should be a 1 (1 = Sprint, 160 = US roaming icon, 228 = international roaming)

7.Assn Incl Should be Yes since we want EVDO

8.Assn Tag will be 16 to use the value 16 flagged records in this Geo for EVDO.

9.Pn Assn should be No

10.Data Assn should be No

11.SID should be 4384

12.NID should be 502.

Now very important, don't forget this. On record 466 (22439 SID) you need to change the Geo to Same.

I would also change the Preferred Roaming List ID at the top to something like 25996 or something weird so you can check your settings/about screen from time to time as Sprint will automatically update your PRL sometimes.

So basically what happens now is when your phone does a network scan it looks for 4384/502 (your airave) first. If it can't find it, it looks for the 22439 on 800SMR, if it can't find that it will look for the 4384/65535.

I haven't tested this as I have no way of testing it in my area so please let me know if this works. In theory it should work though.

• Like 1

Digi, thanks for the informative step by step directions!

I'll try the above later. Looks like sprint is doing something around here. I can pull up 4g/lte, but not 3g data over the towers or the airave.

I do have a question. In the pic I linked, http://imageshack.us/a/img69/5928/prlb.jpg , what is the significance of line 467. It's similar to line 472 in terms of referencing the 4384 sid?

467 is the coveted MCC-MNC records I talk about for LTE. The SID doesn't matter as the Dallas Geo proves that otherwise Kansas LTE wouldn't work. According to the Qualcomm docs I've been able to dig up, you must have one MCC-MNC record per Geographic area for LTE to work.

Things have improved marginally. I can now get voice on the airrave, but only 3g if phone is set to cdma/lte. It'll bounce between 4g and 3g depending on signal (4384 sid, sometimes 22439). If I set it to cdma only, i get no data at all (with

the airrave or towers).

3G only happens if it's using the erhpd protocol. No 3g on evdo at all.

If I cycle airplane mode while on the airrave, i may or may not get data back (3g ehrpd or lte).

It makes no sense to make any further tweaks until this issues is worked out and or stabilized.

Edited by jsolo

What is the reason you have an airave if you have such good Sprint native signals?

Who said anything about good signals? I can barely get a signal in my house. I am usually 100+ on my signal which makes 1 or two bars max but I live between multiple towers and my phone is always dropping one tower and trying to pickup another so if I don't use the Airave the Android signal in the options says I am usually without signal for 20% of the time. You can find this info in the battery section under standby but only if you have been getting bad signal. It is annoying as a lot of time calls go right to voicemail without ringing or texts are missed or come hours late, etc.

• 2 months later...

This issue has cropped up yet again.

Last time it looks like they shut down the SMR transmissions (or they were just testing them for a short period), and the phone relocked back to the airave when near it. I didn't actually get a chance to try out the instructions in post #10

About 4 or 5 days ago I wasn't hearing the 3 beeps when placing/receiving calls.

Called up airave support and as usual they had their heads up their @ss.

Had a chance to modify the current 25010 prl as digiblur instructed above. Result, success!

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9894/prly.png

Modified prl: http://db.tt/wk9muM1j

When near the airave, phone locks to it. When airrave is powered off, phone relocks to 22439 sid. When airave is back online, phone is back on the airave. This functions now exactly as before the introduction of 22439 sid.

I really don't understand why sprint doesn't just include this in the prl themselves. Maybe they're trying to wean people off these things. Either way, using an airave signal should improve battery life.

Digi, thanks again for your help!

Edited by jsolo
  • Like 2

Not sure if this is any help but I am an IT Consultant. I have a customer who has an air rave from Sprint. I had spent weeks troubleshooting all types of issues like not connecting or when connected dropped calls or you can hear them but the can hear you and many more issues. I worked with air rave support and even got 2 different devices and same problem. On an unrelated problem I needed to log in and make some tweaks to the local linksys router and noticed the time and date was wrong so I corrected it. After correcting the time and date the air rave has worked perfectly. Hopefully this helps you.