Network Vision/LTE - Hawaii Market (including Honolulu, Oahu and all Hawaiian Islands)

markjcc

Aloha Robert,

April, is among us now. Speeds in Hawaii

Continue to be very slow. Have you got any information if any? Regarding NV in Hawaii?

My OG evo is still chugging away. But

The newer phones I.E. the s3 are making

My evo look like a 78 Granada. So I am really

Itching to upgrade. The htc one on t mobile

Is looking mighty attractive

Sent from my Coconut Wireless

No new info. You may need to go to T-Mobile if they meet your needs and provide coverage where you go.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I am also seeing ehrpd right now on Maui...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I've switched my GS3 to CDMA only from CDMA/LTE because it seems to have issues indoors with eHRPD being turned on recently. Seems to be not handing off to 1xRTT correctly from eHRPD. I get no data in a lot of places indoors, but when I switched to CDMA only, I can get data. Same issue with my wife's GS3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been browsing the forums for some time but finally made an account. Is there any more information on when LTE might be deployed?

I talked to a Sprint rep today and he said because it seems that numerous upgrades are occuring on our island, we may see it soon. :fingers:

But nothing concrete.

Been considering on leaping carriers but am holding out a little more longer. 3G speeds in my area are generally very unstable.

Nothing that we can detect although we did see a 3g site accepted a few days ago which turned out to be a replacement for an old one.

Should start relatively soon though as every OEM (alcatel-lucent in HI's case) is now beginning the rest of their markets.

• Like 1

Nothing that we can detect although we did see a 3g site accepted a few days ago which turned out to be a replacement for an old one.

Should start relatively soon though as every OEM (alcatel-lucent in HI's case) is now beginning the rest of their markets.

Thank you for the info!

Nothing that we can detect although we did see a 3g site accepted a few days ago which turned out to be a replacement for an old one.<br /><br />Should start relatively soon though as every OEM (alcatel-lucent in HI's case) is now beginning the rest of their markets.
<br />so NV for oahu has started

<br />so NV for oahu has started

Funny, cause I went to Starbucks near the airport and smiled a little when I saw an Alcatel-lucent van in the parking lot. I hope they have started.

Funny, cause I went to Starbucks near the airport and smiled a little when I saw an Alcatel-lucent van in the parking lot. I hope they have started.

Might be a good sign.

Should have asked the driver of the van if he was installing sprint lte equipment

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a cherry picker working on a tower on Waipahu...drove up to it and Pacific wireless communications was Woking on it, are they a Sprint contractor?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Could be. Take some pictures of it. A member of ours just started a permit map for Hawaii and found a bunch of permits that have either been issued or in the process of being issued meaning that Network Vision has begun in HI. The gear that's being installed are alcatel-lucent stuff with 6 panel connectors & 2 or 3 RRU's. 

https://network.sprint.com/HI/Honolulu/

There were about 40+ upgrades on the site up until now. Could this perhaps mean they are gearing up for LTE? Or is it just a database issue they may be having? I hope it's the former.

It was a temporary glitch in the Sprint site. It is back to normal now.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Could be. Take some pictures of it. A member of ours just started a permit map for Hawaii and found a bunch of permits that have either been issued or in the process of being issued meaning that Network Vision has begun in HI. The gear that's being installed are alcatel-lucent stuff with 6 panel connectors & 2 or 3 RRU's. 

I just looked at the sprint upgrade site and the site actually isn't near where the tower is marked there so I don't think it was them.  There was a few electrical boxes on the fence around it marked at&t wireless and a few unmarked ones.  I was hoping it was a shared tower but I guess not.

• 2 weeks later...

found a bunch of permits that have either been issued

Negative, Ghost Rider. No issued permits. Hawaii looks to have the thickest red tape in the country.

Don't get your hopes up on lte hunting just yet either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If your are forced on 1x update your prl, data profile, firmware, and reactivate without data loss by clearing provisioning data which forces your phone to lose all network data like prls data profiles etc not text then it will reactivate without data loss. For my phone the S4 you have to dial ##72786#. Other phones methods may vary this code should also work for the s3 as well just Google how to clear provisioning data on your phone.

Any news on the permits for Hawaii?  Are we still waiting for the slow government to approve the permits?  Of course they are doing the permits IAW Hawaiian Time.

Approximately 1/3rd of the ~150 sprint cell sites have had building permits applied or begun zoning stuff (step before building permit application) but due to the nature of the HI government, things are going pretty slow. It takes approximately 3-6 months (or more) to get a building permit issued and a vast majority of sites were applied in the febuary / march / april time frame.