Network Vision/LTE - Hawaii Market (including Honolulu, Oahu and all Hawaiian Islands)

markjcc

That makes perfect sense....1.5mm people in hawaii....1mm on oahu.

And they start on an Isolated Coast of the Big Island with less than 12,000 residents....

Makes perfect sense when one island is taking almost a year to get permits issued and another already has sites converted and ready to go. Sprint / Alcatel-Lucent isn't going to wait for the Hawaii government agencies to play nice with them when other local entities do play nice and have things ready. 

• Like 2

I understand the permit issues - it is just frustrating - 

how much money are they spending to upgrade an area with (i would guess) 

3,000 subscribers (1/4 of the population - so being generous)

Anyway....will be on the kona coast for a week next month...maybe I will get a glimpse of things to come.

Anyway....will be on the kona coast for a week next month...maybe I will get a glimpse of things to come.

All areas and practically every site is being upgraded regardless of how many pops they serve and locale. The other islands other than the main one is already converted or just finishing up the few stragglers. The main dealio is still the main island not giving permission to work.

The thing with permits is that every submission, iirc, is submitted to all departments. Sprint can fix one part for one department but another does not like it and sends it back. Sprint can fix it for that department but another doesn't like that fix and sends it back and it goes on and on. That's the primary issue in addition to just how long the government agencies are taking to review submissions. 

It's a problem faced by all providers and not just Sprint. Last check ATT, VZW, and Tmobile also have permits going back and forth for just as long if not longer (years). They just started way earlier and thus got most of theirs through.

Nothing on sensorly yet.  Maybe the tower is not broadcasting?

• 4 weeks later...

OK - 

Coverage is getting worse and worse.  I am constantly dropping data and calls in areas that used to be fine.

Texts don't go through etc.  Bad to terrible.

I am on oahu.....anyone else experiencing this?

Now that work is well underway in Oahu, it will be some rough surf for awhile. But it's finally happening.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Was in Lahaina and Ka'anapali all week on vacation. I must say, data speed was more than adequate and very usable...can't say the same for Kahului though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I've been watching this thread for a long time. Service the last few weeks has been almost useless. Dropped calls, poor reception, failed delivery of texts, no picture mail, little to no data, navigation fails to connect to the server. If I want to use driving directions, I have to load it all on wifi before leaving. Also, this is with full bars on 3G and I've noticed it displaying 1x and Extended a lot more frequently. I really hope the upgrades are completed soon. Does anyone know about how long the upgrade process usually takes?

First of all Aloha, welcome to the forum (since this is your first post out in the open).

Although you state you have been watching this thread for a long time, please feel free to look over the rest of the forums as well as the FAQ for many of your answers. As well as to the general conduct we expect of members participating in the forums, which basically means no rants, do take time to search (since majority of the questions probably have been answered) and catch up on the ins and outs of Network Vision.

beyond that, over here in NYC (as elsewhere) when sites were being upgraded, I too did experienced poor reception, dropped calls, etc etc but only for a short while. I would assume the same is currently happening over in the Aloha state. But once you get a taste of LTE you will like it.

FAQ

TS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any more news when LTE goes active? It has been awhile.

Should be soon. Towers are being upgraded all over the windward side. The scrawny old tower on Kaneohe Bay Drive is now sporting LTE antennas and is now noticeably more "beefy".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aloha Twospirits!   Long time no see!  (phandroid) 

Aloha 808Bill (xda)

Small world - Anyway.....Keep hearing that towers are getting updated  - but my service is getting worse and worse.

Wife is Frustrated.....and we all know what that means! 

I was able to briefly get lte in Waikoloa - but signal was in and out.

Here on oahu - all is abysmal.....hoping someone has good news.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Aloha Twospirits! Long time no see! (phandroid)

It is almost August? Any new information regarding Oahu?

Aloha 808Bill (xda)

Small world - Anyway.....Keep hearing that towers are getting updated - but my service is getting worse and worse.

Wife is Frustrated.....and we all know what that means!

I was able to briefly get lte in Waikoloa - but signal was in and out.

Here on oahu - all is abysmal.....hoping someone has good news.

Thanks!

We may be closer than you think.    I had a STRONG LTE signal in Kailua for a few hours last week.

Testing the tower? 

Or just false hope? 

I call summer 2016 for lte completion

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We may be closer than you think.    I had a STRONG LTE signal in Kailua for a few hours last week.

Testing the tower? 

Or just false hope? 

The Kailua tower on the Big Island (behind the Target) is the only LTE site accepted in Hawaii currently.

Robert

• Like 1

We may be closer than you think. I had a STRONG LTE signal in Kailua for a few hours last week.

Testing the tower?

Or just false hope?

Kailua, Kona or Kailua, Oahu?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk