How does an Airave work?

I had an old router when I activated Wi-Fi calling.  The Wi-Fi calling worked fine when I had very little other traffic flowing over the router.

But when the the internet traffic picked up, the calls got choppy.  My router worked fine otherwise, but the QOS on the router would not fix the choppy calls.  The new router from Sprint did.

The only issue I have with the Wi-Fi calling is the delay. The two people in the conversation are talking over each other because of the delay.  The Wi-Fi calling also just disconnects mostly at night and I have to restart it.  For some reason, it drops and when it does, it requires a manual restart.  Using a Galaxy S-5. My new router arrived in about 2 days and was totally Free.

I just called them and they said they had to create an escalated ticket for the Wifi Connect router request since the offer was not currently linked to my account.  They said it was no problem to get the Wifi Connect router but instead of the normal 7 business days it would take to receive they said it would take 10 business days because of the need to get a request.  That sounds so much longer than the 2 days you quoted.  Hopefully it will only take a week to arrive.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I've noticed that when I'm on my airave, I can't pick up eHRPD, only EVDO Rev. A. Does anyone else have this problem and a possible resolution?

eHRPD is EV-DO.  There is no problem, no resolution.

AJ

I know the air interface is the same, my question is as to why I'm going through a legacy core, not an LTE EPC?

Any Airave is a legacy device.  An LTE Airave type device does not yet exist.  eHRPD requires LTE compatibility, as it maintains IP continuity between LTE and EV-DO.

AJ

• Like 1

Any Airave is a legacy device. An LTE Airave type device does not yet exist. eHRPD requires LTE compatibility, as it maintains IP continuity between LTE and EV-DO.

AJ

I have used eHRPD on newer airaves (at other ppl's houses). I'm aware they don't support LTE but they do support eHRPD for smooth handoff between the airave and LTE I thought.

I don't think we will see LTE airaves. Wifi routers like the one that is available now from Sprint are simpler to set up and the equipment is less costly.

Any Airave is a legacy device.  An LTE Airave type device does not yet exist.  eHRPD requires LTE compatibility, as it maintains IP continuity between LTE and EV-DO.

AJ

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard of an AirRave 2.5 that doesn't communicate properly? It seems to never complete booting up. In almost one month, 0 packets are ever received on that switch interface. Dead box?

Do you have the correct pretty forwarding setup on your router? I personally found that it works more reliably putting it in the DMZ rather than just port forwarding. All it does is setup an IPsec VPN, but putting it in the DMZ means it won't use UDP encapsulation which may explain why that works better.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Do you have the correct pretty forwarding setup on your router? I personally found that it works more reliably putting it in the DMZ rather than just port forwarding. All it does is setup an IPsec VPN, but putting it in the DMZ means it won't use UDP encapsulation which may explain why that works better.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

It initially worked, got unplugged for some unknown amount of time and then didn't work. Port forwarding wouldn't come into play yet as the AirRave literally never sends a packet. The inbound packet counter on the switch interface is zero.

I wouldn't think being in a DMZ would affect TCP vs UDP. I also won't put anything into a DMZ due to security concerns.

I do have an atypical routing setup, but that's not coming into play as the AirRave is completely unresponsive on the network port.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It initially worked, got unplugged for some unknown amount of time and then didn't work. Port forwarding wouldn't come into play yet as the AirRave literally never sends a packet. The inbound packet counter on the switch interface is zero.

I wouldn't think being in a DMZ would affect TCP vs UDP. I also won't put anything into a DMZ due to security concerns.

I do have an atypical routing setup, but that's not coming into play as the AirRave is completely unresponsive on the network port.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What I meant was that IPsec ideally doesn't use UDP or TCP, it has it's own type of IP packet that gets encapsulated within a UDP packet when behind NAT. Sprint recommends putting the airave in front of your router actually (perhaps because of this?), but the passthrough performance is awful.

What do the status lights on your airave indicate? I'm guessing not all of them are solid green. Does it have a GPS lock? One of them is probably blinking or red, and that should indicate the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6P