LG Optimus G

khammondnm

Well I'm very pleased with the OG, very solid phone, plenty fast,,,

Call quality is better than any other LTE Sprint device I used too. Its a keeper

I just unloaded mine yesterday, I just don't like all that real estate

I do like the LG product though as I have a Viper too. I just hope the industry doesn't adapt to having 2 sizes.

4" or enormous.

Sent using Tapatalk

I've had my Optimus G since Thanksgiving, and I love it. The 1.5GHz quad-core CPU chews through just about anything I throw at it, and as long as I keep the use at a moderate level, battery life lasts 10-12 hours. Graphics on the True HD IPS+ LCD screen are nothing short of amazing - you really appreciate that 1280x768 resolution when you're spending some quality time with Netflix or Hulu. Great phone for the money, and a solid performer against other high-end Android offerings.

• Like 1

I picked up an Optimus G sealed new from ebay as a LTE hold over until the GS4 or the Note3 comes out. Pretty cool phone but I don't think I can go back to LCD after being spoiled from Amoled.

Couple of things bug me about it though.

1. The camera is pretty bad in comparison to the Epic 4G Touch. Even though its 13MP it reminds me of a 5MP in terms of quality. I also noticed it has a hard time focusing as well. Photos are really warm.

2. I get some sort of feedback\interference sometimes in the ear piece when I talk. Its mentioned on the web there may be a shielding issue with both the Nexus 4 and the Optimus G. Anyone else get this?

I've yet to experience an issue with interference in the earpiece during conversations.

And while the Samsung AMOLED screens are nice, the LCD technology LG has employed on this handset is the same as what they use in their HDTV displays. The colors are as sharp as I've seen on anything, and not overly saturated, either.

As for the camera - I really haven't had an issue with mine. Pictures are clear and crisp, and recordings are stunning with HD resolution.

I picked up an Optimus G sealed new from ebay as a LTE hold over until the GS4 or the Note3 comes out. Pretty cool phone but I don't think I can go back to LCD after being spoiled from Amoled.

Couple of things bug me about it though.

1. The camera is pretty bad in comparison to the Epic 4G Touch. Even though its 13MP it reminds me of a 5MP in terms of quality. I also noticed it has a hard time focusing as well. Photos are really warm.

2. I get some sort of feedback\interference sometimes in the ear piece when I talk. Its mentioned on the web there may be a shielding issue with both the Nexus 4 and the Optimus G. Anyone else get this?

That doesn't sound right. All of the pictures I've seen taken on the Optimus G have been superb. The Epic Touch has a pretty mediocre camera for today's standards. My GS3 takes much better pictures than my S2 ever did.

As for the screen, I'd have to say the Optimus G looks TONS better than my Galaxy S III, personally. AMOLED is nice, but the Pentile layout Samsung uses is an Achilles heel for sure. IPS+ LCD is simply better, in every sense of the word than a pentile AMOLED screen. The only thing is that AMOLED takes up less power when operating with a true black color, but how often do we ever get true black?

I haven't had anyone come into my S&R store complaining or asking about an earpiece/mic shielding issue. We are a Top 100 store, so chances are we'd have someone come in if it were at all widespread.

Overall it sounds to me like you may have gotten a bad phone. Have you gone into a local store with one on display to check them out side-by-side?

Call quality is better than any other LTE Sprint device I used too. Its a keeper

I really love my voice quality too. I read somewhere that the Optimus G was supposed to support HD Voice but I haven't been able to verify that. Any news on the HD capability of the G? Edited by estarkey7

Hey guys, just got this lg optimus from sprint they hooked me up with buy one get one free deal $199. They browsing the internet is no problem. Chrome runs so freaking smooth unbelievable Phone quality is crystal clear compared to my epic4g touch. Now the network is skiddish in my house. Both lg and epic 4g touch gets 3g. At work lte was getting up to 30mbps. But I spend most of the time at home so I need to find a way to improve the signal. Installed nova launcher prime and it's even more flawless!!! great phone battery life is not that great when heavy using.

But I spend most of the time at home so I need to find a way to improve the signal. Installed nova launcher prime and it's even more flawless!!! great phone battery life is not that great when heavy using.

As long as you have satisfactory CDMA1X signal at home, you should be set. If not, you may need to look into an Airave. For data, you do not need LTE or even EV-DO at home. Your phones should be on Wi-Fi.

AJ

As long as you have satisfactory CDMA1X signal at home, you should be set. If not, you may need to look into an Airave. For data, you do not need LTE or even EV-DO at home. Your phones should be on Wi-Fi.

AJ

I'd almost go as far as saying... as long as you have a solid wifi connection of 3mbps down/1mbps up... on an android device you could easily set the device in airplane mode then enable wifi only. Then while using SIP/XMPP.. make/receive all the calls you want for free. The power of Google Voice(or other similar services)!!

• Like 2

I can vouch for this too. Sometimes I'll take a picture and it will be blurry because the focus didn't work right. Then I try again and it will be fine the second time. Inconsistent auto focus.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tested the 4G capabilities of this phone? I have 4G turning on in the area, Corona, CA, and I have been successful only once in pushing data through. The phone just sits there and gets extremely hot on the back, below the camera.Not sure if it's a phone thing or the network itself.

Sent from my LG Optimus G

The 4G Antenna is quite nice. I have actually picked up a 4g signal from a tower 10 miles away. (it was all farmland between me and the tower) but 10 miles is a darn good distance. I cannot be happier with the wireless performance of this phone

Thanks for the response. I've had a chance to try the 4G at a different location, and everything was fine. No heating problems at all. Awesome phone, especially with Jelly Bean.

• Like 1

One thing about the OG: get a case and be very careful. We've seen more than a few of them come in with tiny cracks across the screen, which makes the entire touchscreen inoperable - which, as a phone with embedded storage and no SD card, means you then usually will have issues transferring data if you need it replaced.

One thing about the OG: get a case and be very careful. We've seen more than a few of them come in with tiny cracks across the screen, which makes the entire touchscreen inoperable...

Hmm, interesting. The Optimus G does use an in cell digitizer. The glass, touchscreen, and LCD panel are all sandwiched into one, thereby reducing depth and internal reflections. That seemed like a uniformly positive development, but it apparently does have downsides.

AJ

Hmm, interesting. The Optimus G does use an in cell digitizer. The glass, touchscreen, and LCD panel are all sandwiched into one, thereby reducing depth and internal reflections. That seemed like a uniformly positive development, but it apparently does have downsides.

AJ

Makes sense. The OG is actually a well-build phone for being worked on and maintained. Screen is easily replaced as it is all one piece (like you said), charging port is replaceable (which is exceedingly rare), headphone jack, speaker, earpiece, buttons...

Actually, my advice to everyone is not just "get a case". It's "back up EVERYTHING". Too many people come in with an inoperable phone and expect us to be able to clone their data on to a new phone. Usually, the best we can do is have them log in with GMail to get Google Contacts synced with the new phone. Dropbox or Google+ Instant Upload gets your photos automatically, your Google Account gets your contacts, and you can back up everything through ADB on your computer (or something like Titanium if you're rooted).

Basically, phones are fragile, ephemeral things; important data should be doubly backed up in this case.

• 5 weeks later...
Phone runs very smooth for me. Very good radio peformance also.

Not to bump an old thread/post but I'm thinking I want an Optimus G.

I have found the signal on the S3 to be pathetic, the EVO LTE to be so so but the iPhone 5 is stellar.

Can anyone vouch for the signal strength in comparison to other phones?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Best signal phone I have ever seen. I am on Sprint. Zero complaints all around. Consider it vouched

Thank you. I don't always understand why there is such disparity at times between handsets.

I cant get over how good this phone is, I am getting Rx800 voice and LTE in Indiana and get signal where alot of my friends phones dont. My nephew has this phone, I have this phone, and 2 friends have bought this phone after messing with mine. All around best phone I have ever touched. (disclaimer - Have not touched S4 or HTC one)

• Like 1

Not to bump an old thread/post but I'm thinking I want an Optimus G.

I have found the signal on the S3 to be pathetic, the EVO LTE to be so so but the iPhone 5 is stellar.

Can anyone vouch for the signal strength in comparison to other phones?

I like the LGOG a lot. However, I have a different take on signal. The LGOG will hold a very weak signal much farther than my Note 2. However, that is not necessarily a good thing. The problem is that I've found is that the LGOG will hold unusable signals and prevent you from roaming.

In my observations, the usable signal of the LGOG is the same as the Note 2. When I drive out of range, when the Note 2 switches to roaming, the LGOG still has a signal. But if you make a call or try to use data in the area where the Note 2 is roaming, you can forget it. 1x and EVDO become worthless around -106dBm. However, I've had the LGOG hold on to signals up to -116dBm. And one time even -120dBm.

So really, it's not that the LGOG is the most stellar RF performer, it's that its threshold for keeping a signal is set too high. It needs to be lowered to where if you do not have a good enough signal to be useful, it goes to roaming. It can be frustrating to be in a rural area with a solid roaming signal, but the LGOG clings to a distant weak signal that is so poor that you cannot even text.

That being said, the LGOG is a great RF performer all the way up to -106dBm. In my observations, it either had the best signal strength or tied for the best signal strength. I love my LGOG. Best smartphone from LG ever.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1