LG Optimus G

khammondnm

This is great to know. I can't stand losing signal on my way to work every day (and I am in a very urban area on a major street). For anyone looking - I've seen a few pop up on eBay new or near new for about 350 no contract. I snagged one up. I was going to do the Nexus 4 but got burned pretty hard on the preorder, twice, so I went this route.

You wont be disappointed with this phone

Well, reception wasn't all that different and I gently placed the phone down on my counter and the screen cracked.

Sort of disappointing

Ouch. That's pretty bad. That's the first time I've heard of that.

I've scratched the back of my Nexus 4 already with pretty easy going usage. And I don't use the device nowhere near as much as my Note 2. About a 10:1 usage ratio.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Ouch. That's pretty bad. That's the first time I've heard of that.

The worst part is the service.

Sprint won't fix it, LG won't fix it, nobody will fix it.

I was told by the store manager at my local sprint store and when I called sprint to sign up for insurance, wait 24 hours, file a claim.

Just sounds very scammy to me. I just want to pay for sprint to install a new screen but they said they have no parts yet.

There isn't a single scratch on the phone, the screen just imploded. I am guessing I got defective glass that was improperly made and now I am just stuck with a hunk of worthless phone.

Unfortunately the policy has to be cut and dry with cracked screens. Everyone says they just barely dropped it or sat down. Im not call you a lair im just saying that's the policy on cracked screens. And i don't know if i would consider it fraud bc you have 30 days to add it and customer care adds it no questions asked over the phone in the first 30 days.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

As rocket says, the hands of Sprint and Asurion are tied. If you were allowed to return it, it sets a bad precedent. What's to stop someone who threw their phone at their spouse (yes, it really happens) to say the same thing - I just set it down? I believe you, but I know that doesn't help much.

That is why I dont use Sprint insurance. I use Best Buy Insurance. No questions asked they just replace the phone. bumper to bumper. it is also cheaper than the sprint insurance. and No deductable

I very much heavily use my phone, not one scratch at this point. I am really not that careful with it. I have dropped it from a standing positon on to concrete, i have done construction with it in my pocket. I dont use any case and I dont use any screen protector. I have bumped into the corner of endtables and it hit directly on the phone. zero damage. now just watch karma will bite me in the a$$ and it will break tonight

• Like 1

I thought about bb insurance but they don't cover lost or stolen phones and I've lost or have more phones stolen than damaged so it's assurion for me but other than that fact bb insurance is really good

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by mellimel2212

• 2 weeks later...

So both sprint store manager and customer service over the phone told me that I need to sign up for insurance, wait 24 hours, and file a claim.

I feel like that's scamming so I called LG directly and they told me they couldn't tell me how much to replace a cracked screen.

I mean, this wasn't a complicated issue... I am hesitant to send my phone in for a repair without knowing at least an estimate.

What are your guys thoughts? What would you do?

So both sprint store manager and customer service over the phone told me that I need to sign up for insurance, wait 24 hours, and file a claim.

I feel like that's scamming so I called LG directly and they told me they couldn't tell me how much to replace a cracked screen.

I mean, this wasn't a complicated issue... I am hesitant to send my phone in for a repair without knowing at least an estimate.

What are your guys thoughts? What would you do?

If they are telling you to sign up for it, then take their advice. It can't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to dig up an old thread but do we have any more reviews on this puppy?

I've got an iPhone 5 and I do like it but I also have the Optimus G brand new sitting in its box. One of them is making its way to eBay but I am hesitant to use the G so as not to diminish it's resale value. The iPhone 5 still can command decent money used.

I don't care either way between iOS vs Android, just looking for some more reviews now that it's been out a bit.

I've been using one from not long after launch and I love it so far. I get goo battery life, it's snappy and as far as I can tell connects decently to lte. Its only downfall is it isn't as popular as the galaxy s3. But I think when it goes buy one get one free this weekend it will get more popular.

I've been using one from not long after launch and I love it so far. I get goo battery life, it's snappy and as far as I can tell connects decently to lte. Its only downfall is it isn't as popular as the galaxy s3. But I think when it goes buy one get one free this weekend it will get more popular.

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually had the S3 for about 29 hours and the RF was terrible on it.

I like the screen (although 4.3" would be fine for me), the resolution, the OS on the G and while it's only been connected to Wi-Fi seems pretty impressive.

I still can't find any info on the Jelly Bean Update. I hope it's around the corner.

Jelly Bean has been released, or at least leaked, in Korea. Devs have it but there's not much they can do until LG releases source which should be soon. Last I heard the OTA was supposed to be Dec/Jan.

I don't want to dig up an old thread but do we have any more reviews on this puppy?

I've got an iPhone 5 and I do like it but I also have the Optimus G brand new sitting in its box. One of them is making its way to eBay but I am hesitant to use the G so as not to diminish it's resale value. The iPhone 5 still can command decent money used.

I don't care either way between iOS vs Android, just looking for some more reviews now that it's been out a bit.

IMO sell the ip5 on eBay NOW. friend got 700 for his.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a used LG OG on eBay practically brand new. Can anyone tell me a little more about its LTE connectivity? My S3 worked on 4G near perfectly in my covered locations, has the OG shown good connectivity with LTE?

I'm currently deciding among this phone, the Evo LTE, and a future release, and I am interested in knowing about the Optimus G's radio performance as well. No S3 or Note 2 for me--I'm sure the argument for one of those getting the best phone overall is strong, but the displays just don't do it for me, and I don't love the exteriors.

I looked at the G when I was getting my Note2. The display was nice looking but I wanted the sd card slot and screen size.

I have heard people saying the radio performance is very good. By far the Evo LTE is the worse it seems. In the several phones I have used I can agree with this. Still looking to get it swapped as one of my lines is using a lot of roaming data now since they switched to the EVO LTE due to poor rf performance.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

• Like 1

Maybe I'll go buy the G before it gets too old then.

Does Sprint cap roaming data? Or just term your service if the ratio is too high?

I believe it was in the neighborhood of a 300Mb allowance and it's 2G.

That could have changed but use too much voice or data while roaming and I believe it's one warning then a service termination notice.

Sent using Tapatalk

Well I'm very pleased with the OG, very solid phone, plenty fast and so far the radio performance seems pretty good. Not as good as the S3 but not nearly as bad as the Evo. All its missing is JellyBean and I'll be set. I'm still amazed at how good the screen is.

Call quality is better than any other LTE Sprint device I used too. Its a keeper

• Like 1