Network Vision/LTE - East Michigan Market (Detroit/Flint/Ann Arbor/Tri-Cities)

ReyBanz

Maybe someone from a different area can answer my question, but when a new market begins to come online, does it spread from the original LTE site (Howell) or does it start popping up in various other locations in the market? Just curious if there's a chance it can pop up somewhere a bit closer to me.

Maybe someone from a different area can answer my question, but when a new market begins to come online, does it spread from the original LTE site (Howell) or does it start popping up in various other locations in the market? Just curious if there's a chance it can pop up somewhere a bit closer to me.

The next sites popping up are not related to the previous sites. There are likely several different companies located throughout the state that are subcontracted to do the work on several different parts of the state. Company A may be working in and around Howell, company B and Company C may be working in Grand Rapids, and so on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Found some sites in eastern macomb county around in and north of new baltimore with network vision panels and rrus. I listed them in the michigan sponsor forum.

if you can try to take some pictures that way Rob can mark them in progress
  • Like 1

Not sure if its just me or what, but since around 4 pm today in A2 I haven't had data at all. Could be my phone but I've never had this happen before...

It could be possible that they are working there, RCM looked up some permits and found a few that look to be related to NV in Ann Arbor...I'd be keeping an eye out tho sounds like michigain is going to start firing up

For sure. That would be awesome. Honestly lately my 4g speeds have been decent enough but have lte would be awesome!

Indeed it would I live near Sylvania on the Ohio/Michgain border, do occasionally visit A2 as well. Just hoping they start toward Milan/ Dundee area soon

Morning all,

Long time lucker... I finally decided to sign up.

3 questions and 1 comment:

1. I think this has been discussed before, but with the LTE/NV rollout, does 3G and cell coverage also improve (speeds and/or strength)

2. Based on previous LTE/NV rollouts, what is the average time period from first the first tower being lit up (Howell in this case) to the next one? Is it a domino type of effect, where the towers just start lighting up all quicker?

3. (Comment/question). I'm still getting a WiMax signal in Detroit. I use it at work to stream Pandora. Will that WiMax signal ever be shut off? Would the loss of the signal be a sign that LTE will be switched on?

I've been holding off getting an LTE phone untill I see some more progress. I got burned buying my WiMax phone over a year ago, and I don't want to be burned again.

Thanks all.

Morning all,

1. I think this has been discussed before, but with the LTE/NV rollout, does 3G and cell coverage also improve (speeds and/or strength)

2. Based on previous LTE/NV rollouts, what is the average time period from first the first tower being lit up (Howell in this case) to the next one? Is it a domino type of effect, where the towers just start lighting up all quicker?

3. (Comment/question). I'm still getting a WiMax signal in Detroit. I use it at work to stream Pandora. Will that WiMax signal ever be shut off? Would the loss of the signal be a sign that LTE will be switched on?

I've been holding off getting an LTE phone untill I see some more progress. I got burned buying my WiMax phone over a year ago, and I don't want to be burned again.

Thanks all.

2. They get converted when they get converted, there's no set period of time.

3. I believe 2015 was the time period when it would be switched off.

The LTE deployement is the real deal. I didn't buy a LTE phone either, only because I'm waiting for the rollout. But I will be buying the S4 when it comes out.

Morning all,

Thanks all.

1. Yes, Sprint is replacing and upgrading all of their equipment, which means 3G as well. The new 3G will be connected to the same backhaul as LTE, so speeds will be increased. Also, with the new panels and RRUs, there will be a slight signal boost. It won't significantly add to coverage, but if you have a weak signal in certain places, it may help to make that signal a little more reliable.

2. There is no real pattern. Some markets sit with one tower for weeks on end, others blow up all at once. It's hard to tell, all we know is that work is or will be taking place all over the market and towers should begin to pop up all around here shortly.

3. WiMax will continue operations until at least 2015 I believe. It will not be shut off before LTE makes it to your area. If you are still able to use the WiMax network, I would still hold off for a few more months before making that jump to an LTE phone. However, rest assured that LTE will be covering you market, probably by mid spring.

Thanks for joining our site! There is a wealth of information here. If you haven't already, I would suggest starting with the FAQ section (http://s4gru.com/ind...sked-questions/) to help with some of the terms, and a good explanation of NV and what it will do for you.

• Like 3

1. Yes, Sprint is replacing and upgrading all of their equipment, which means 3G as well. The new 3G will be connected to the same backhaul as LTE, so speeds will be increased. Also, with the new panels and RRUs, there will be a slight signal boost. It won't significantly add to coverage, but if you have a weak signal in certain places, it may help to make that signal a little more reliable.

2. There is no real pattern. Some markets sit with one tower for weeks on end, others blow up all at once. It's hard to tell, all we know is that work is or will be taking place all over the market and towers should begin to pop up all around here shortly.

3. WiMax will continue operations until at least 2015 I believe. It will not be shut off before LTE makes it to your area. If you are still able to use the WiMax network, I would still hold off for a few more months before making that jump to an LTE phone. However, rest assured that LTE will be covering you market, probably by mid spring.

Thanks for joining our site! There is a wealth of information here. If you haven't already, I would suggest starting with the FAQ section (http://s4gru.com/ind...sked-questions/) to help with some of the terms, and a good explanation of NV and what it will do for you.

Thanks for the info.

Here's the thing. WiMax was never offically launced in the Detroit area, and this WiMax signal is very weak and I can only receive it my office building (15 stories up). The rumor I heard was this tower was put up and turned on for licensicing issues.

I cannot receive WiMax anywhere else (home,road, etc).

I'm getting excited, but I don't want to jump the gun. I think I will hold out until it is official like you stated. I was thinking of jumping ship and going to another carrier, but I will stay the course with Sprint.

Thanks for the info.

Here's the thing. WiMax was never offically launced in the Detroit area, and this WiMax signal is very weak and I can only receive it my office building (15 stories up). The rumor I heard was this tower was put up and turned on for licensicing issues.

I'm getting excited, but I don't want to jump the gun. I think I will hold out until it is official like you stated. I was thinking of jumping ship and going to another carrier, but I will stay the course with Sprint.

You'll see LTE almost everywhere you see Sprint 3G now, so it will come. It's good to be excited, and there is nothing wrong with jumping the gun and getting a new LTE phone, as the service will get there soon.

You'll see LTE almost everywhere you see Sprint 3G now, so it will come. It's good to be excited, and there is nothing wrong with jumping the gun and getting a new LTE phone, as the service will get there soon.

I hear yeah. "I've been promised "soon" so many times, it's like crying "wolf" in my book. But, a fully operational LTE tower carries a lot of weight. I'm probably going to hold out until more towers go online since the timetable still shows Sept 2013 as the "completed peroid" for SE MI.

Thanks again.

I hear yeah. "I've been promised "soon" so many times, it's like crying "wolf" in my book. But, a fully operational LTE tower carries a lot of weight. I'm probably going to hold out until more towers go online since the timetable still shows Sept 2013 as the "completed peroid" for SE MI.

Thanks again.

Of course, and if I was in your shoes, I'd feel the same way.

When 4G WiMAX was first deployed, my house fell into one of those coverage holes, and I could not get the signal. It took almost 6 months after the market was "launched" for them to get the tower online.

With Sprint's 4G LTE, since each tower will be upgraded, the experience will be a whole lot smoother, and you'll see the service more consistent.

Thanks for the info.

You have WiMax protection site, which yes was put up for licensing issues. I think there are a couple of towers in town, but that's it. They were not deployed to provide quality service, but to maximize coverage, therefore they often have poor building penetration and not the greatest speeds.

However, you will get full LTE coverage. It's a little behind schedule, but things should start to ramp up soon.

I currently have an Airvana for cell phone coverage in my house which is does not work inside at all without the Airvana. I had to go outside to make a phone call before.

My question is will the Airvana work for the new NV and LTE coverage whenever we get it??

Edited by afulkerson

I currently have an Airvana for cell phone coverage in my house which is does not work inside at all without the Airvana. I had to go outside to make a phone call before.

My question is will the Airvana work for the new NV and LTE coverage whenever we get it??

You won't have LTE service on an Airvana, which is smart, since you already have fixed broadband to support the Airvana. You'll see the LTE signal outside, perhaps a little more further away from your property.

Of course, and if I was in your shoes, I'd feel the same way.

When 4G WiMAX was first deployed, my house fell into one of those coverage holes, and I could not get the signal. It took almost 6 months after the market was "launched" for them to get the tower online.

With Sprint's 4G LTE, since each tower will be upgraded, the experience will be a whole lot smoother, and you'll see the service more consistent.

That's great news. I'm patiently waiting for this much needed upgrade in my area. I'm crossing my fingers it will be fully operational by April.

That's great news. I'm patiently waiting for this much needed upgrade in my area. I'm crossing my fingers it will be fully operational by April.

It will get there eventually. Even in my market (NYC), there is active work going on, but all the towers closed to the place I go to the most have not been touched yet. Eventually they will get done, and I know they will.