Network Vision/LTE - Albuquerque market (including El Paso, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Roswell)

S4GRU

I just looked. There are sites in Kingman that are not on the map above.

Robert

That's a good thing, but they sure are all rural sites surrounding the area.

Before I get too hot and bothered, I am interested what happens at Roberts site. If lte goes live we might not have a problem. However if it is different, it makes me think sprint is changing thier plans. Potentially due to clear wire or something.

Before I get too hot and bothered, I am interested what happens at Roberts site. If lte goes live we might not have a problem. However if it is different, it makes me think sprint is changing thier plans. Potentially due to clear wire or something.

I want to reiterate though that the site next to my house has been labeled "Ground Mount no 800" for a long time. Since I received my very first info about the ABQ market a year ago. So it's not really a new development. And may be much ado abouit nothing. Fortunately the site next door is one of the very first sites being deployed in this category. So we should have a much better idea in the not too distant future.

Robert

• Like 1

Fortunately the site next door is one of the very first sites being deployed in this category. So we should have a much better idea in the not too distant future.

Robert

It's there anything in the Indy market that is in this catagory? I will be happy to check it out

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

It's there anything in the Indy market that is in this catagory? I will be happy to check it out

The Samsung layout of the data is completely different than Ericsson and AlcaLu. Either there are no Indy market sites with Ground Mount RRU's, or I am not able to figure out if I have that data.

Robert

A picture is worth a thousand words:

<iframe frameborder="0" height="650" scrolling="no" src="http://batchgeo.com/map/156625d8a385c40678362b87e1baae86" style="border: 1px solid rgb(170, 170, 170);" width="100%"></iframe>

49 sites out of 415.

I just saw the update of the map. Wow.

The Samsung layout of the data is completely different than Ericsson and AlcaLu. Either there are no Indy market sites with Ground Mount RRU's, or I am not able to figure out if I have that data.

Robert

Ok

A picture is worth a thousand words:

<iframe frameborder="0" height="650" scrolling="no" src="http://batchgeo.com/map/156625d8a385c40678362b87e1baae86" style="border: 1px solid rgb(170, 170, 170);" width="100%"></iframe>

49 sites out of 415.

no%20800%20for%20cabin.png?dl=1

:'(

EDIT:

there is another......

yoda55.jpg

(normally just out of range but with 800 could be)

Maybe%20800.png

• Like 1

no%20800%20for%20cabin.png?dl=1

:'(

EDIT:

there is another......

yoda55.jpg

(normally just out of range but with 800 could be)

Maybe%20800.png

warning to Albuquerque nv watchers. I saw some more trucks at cell site by unm Saturday and went over to ask the guys if they were with Sprint when they responded they were working on the tower for att, maybe they are getting lte here? Anyways if you see a tower being worked on know that att is doing work now too.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

warning to Albuquerque nv watchers. I saw some more trucks at cell site by unm Saturday and went over to ask the guys if they were with Sprint when they responded they were working on the tower for att, maybe they are getting lte here? Anyways if you see a tower being worked on know that att is doing work now too.

• Like 1

This makes sense as ATT just announced LTE live in Albuquerque little over 4 weeks ago.

Talking to my friends, the service is quite limited in the city.

It's dark, but I could see the green blinking lights on the ground Mount RRU's at the Budaghers site. I pulled my Fusion in just the right position and turned on the bright lights and there was new NV cabinets and two RRU's clear as day. Another one confirmed In Progress here in the ABQ market. On to home now!

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

EDIT: Nice 3G speeds at this site, too.

arajezeq.jpg

• Like 8

I found this link to American Tower, which owns the Budaghers site. They already have pictures of the new NV Cabinets and Ericsson RRU's that were just installed. http://www.americantower.com/SiteLocator/Photos.aspx

• Like 3

Yep, if I-40E to the Texas state line is going to be without SMR 800 MHz, Sprint might as well skip LTE 1900 on those sites, too. The Alamosa legacy CDMA1X 1900 coverage on that route is already stretched incredibly thin. LTE 1900 coverage would be like a series of hotspots along the Interstate.

AJ

Unfortunately on the current phones hotspots between 3g and 4g just don't work when driving. Once I lose 4g on my GS3 I have to cycle airplane mode or I wont see 4g even if I drive right by a tower. I predict the 4g search timer on my phone is 5-30 minutes. I haven't actually researched it yet though.

Here is the map:

<iframe frameborder="0" height="650" scrolling="no" src="http://batchgeo.com/map/01d5d72417f6cbf5a40789888585d6f1" style="border: 1px solid rgb(170, 170, 170);" width="100%"></iframe>

I live in El Paso TX what's the difference between the red marks and blue marks on the maps? Are we getting LTE?

I live in El Paso TX what's the difference between the red marks and blue marks on the maps? Are we getting LTE?

Yes. The blue sites mean that Sprint cannot deploy any 800MHz service there until the Feds work out a deal with the Mexican government about using that spectrum there. But Sprint will still do Network Vision upgrades on PCS 1900, including LTE. However, the additional 800MHz service will be delayed for a year or two.

The 800MHz will provide more capacity (once LTE on 1900 starts filling up) and better voice and LTE in building performance. So 800 service is just a bonus. Sprint cannot start deploying 800 until after Nextel is decommissioned this Summer anyway.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...
Any 4g in Las Cruces, New Mexico anytime soon
there are a few sites in progress around las cruces. So I would estimate that within the next couple months you might see some lte pop up around cruces.

• Like 1

Well, I got some bad news today. I saw work going on my site again as I was driving by to an appointment. I stopped in and talked with the guy working on the RBS.

He pointed to the carrier cards in the new RBS, which he said were four CDMA cards. One EVDO and one 1x per sector. He said that the RRUS11 on my site will be CDMA only.

He also allowed me to look at the plans, and sure enough it is clear as day...LTE 1900 - 0 RRUs. CDMA 1900 - 1 RRU. CDMA 800 - 0 RRUs. LTE 800 - 0 RRUs. He said also there is no new backhaul at the site. Just two T1's. One for EVDO and one for 1x.

He said my site will not likely get LTE until they come back for a full build. He said all the sites he's worked on in Northern New Mexico area and West Texas market so far have been ground mount and CDMA only with no upgraded backhaul.

He said there is the possibility that if the site has upgraded backhaul, they will add LTE to the ground mount site now. Or if backhaul shows up in the next few months, it would be very easy to add LTE. Just slap in a carrier card and an additional ground mount RRU for each sector. All can be done from the ground in a few hours.

I'm a little bummed. But I always say that I don't need LTE at my house. I guess I need to prove I mean it now by not whining.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Well, I got some bad news today. I saw work going on my site again as I was driving by to an appointment. I stopped in and talked with the guy working on the RBS.

He pointed to the carrier cards in the new RBS, which he said were four CDMA cards. One EVDO and one 1x per sector. He said that the RRUS11 on my site will be CDMA only.

He also allowed me to look at the plans, and sure enough it is clear as day...LTE 1900 - 0 RRUs. CDMA 1900 - 1 RRU. CDMA 800 - 0 RRUs. LTE 800 - 0 RRUs. He said also there is no new backhaul at the site. Just two T1's. One for EVDO and one for 1x.

He said my site will not likely get LTE until they come back for a full build. He said all the sites he's worked on in Northern New Mexico area and West Texas market so far have been ground mount and CDMA only with no upgraded backhaul.

He said there is the possibility that if the site has upgraded backhaul, they will add LTE to the ground mount site now. Or if backhaul shows up in the next few months, it would be very easy to add LTE. Just slap in a carrier card and an additional ground mount RRU for each sector. All can be done from the ground in a few hours.

I'm a little bummed. But I always say that I don't need LTE at my house. I guess I need to prove I mean it now by not whining.

My biggest question would be why even bother with these sites until they get a full build? Just to get the reduce electric usage of the new cabinets? Is there something else the new cabinets provide?

My biggest question would be why even bother with these sites until they get a full build? Just to get the reduce electric usage of the new cabinets? Is there something else the new cabinets provide?

It is a good question and one that I share with you. I don't know what's the benefit of doing this is. My legacy site works just fine. And this is not going to improve its performance any anyways.

• Like 1

The only reason I could see by doing the upgrades performed now versus full build would be related to energy efficiency. I assume this means that the ABQ market is not really in progress in any way.

Next question should be, are the "in progress" sites in ABQ need to be changed? Do they fit into the definition on Network Vision?