Network Vision/LTE - Albuquerque market (including El Paso, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Roswell)

S4GRU

Alright guys. Great news. I am at Whole Foods for lunch and I usually have full LTE here at Academy ans Wyoming. I only had two bars on my iPhone so I checked. I am connected to Band 41. Earfcn 39874

first sighting north of the uptown area for the northeast heights. Great news. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jroepcke51 said:

Alright guys. Great news. I am at Whole Foods for lunch and I usually have full LTE here at Academy ans Wyoming. I only had two bars on my iPhone so I checked. I am connected to Band 41. Earfcn 39874

first sighting north of the uptown area for the northeast heights. Great news. 

Great to hear!

You're looking for Ericsson 8T8R or Nokia equipment in your area!

28 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Great to hear!

You're looking for Ericsson 8T8R or Nokia equipment in your area!

For the most part I had only seen mini macros. Only exclusion has been down town and uptown sites. I don’t have time today but I’m pretty sure which site/sectors cover that store. 

I ran ran a test and I got 76 down. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update: all permits for current upgrades (20) are ready to issue, but seems sprint is at a stand still at the moment... (maybe a strategy change) .. all 13 small cells are live between boost/sprint store and the two stand alone small cells are still under review by the city... this makes for a total of 27 tower with upgrades once sprint completes the other 20.... no word yet on band 26 ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d12f90c74d34277317ab5832c7b9ba86.jpg

Also finding more of these around the city .. good idea from sprint, but long term these aren’t enough capacity imo just coverage fill ins.. So, this is where El Paso stands going into Q1

Also one more thing band 25 is now reaching even further as band 25 is currently the only coverage band here .. indoor penetration isn’t bad at all on band 25 currently..

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

So, Q1 for sprint has offically started. Anything to report up in Albuquerque any more movement this far

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nothing to report from me. I see there is going to be movement in Q2 which should finish up a few sites that haven't seen any upgrades.

• Like 1

Nothing to report from me. I see there is going to be movement in Q2 which should finish up a few sites that haven't seen any upgrades.

Looks like 2 possible sprint co-locations here and 2 new small cells are under review ..the upgrades are approved, but same here no movement as of yet

I'm really more interested in new builds and adds.. I think eventually all the other sites will get upgraded

• 2 weeks later...

Some speed tests on band 41 mini macro /band 25 2xca .. hopefully sprint can keep these upgrades up. Once they finish the next set of upgrades here (21 ready to issue) ... They will have upgraded 28 towers out of roughly 86. Getting closer to the 50% mark... Im thinking upgrades will run well into 2019 6eb4859146ae6abbb37ae4388838be64.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to see if any of you guys knew .. but sprint has had permits approval for upgrades in El paso.. and the tower crews have gone up on a few towers already , but just to add these metal pieces that form a triangle and nothing else .. anyone know what these are for 214d992f2cdc4ed34957eafeb851cb61.jpg

3 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

Just wanted to see if any of you guys knew .. but sprint has had permits approval for upgrades in El paso.. and the tower crews have gone up on a few towers already , but just to add these metal pieces that form a triangle and nothing else .. anyone know what these are for

Looks like added support, possibly for whatever is going up next.

1 minute ago, tyroned3222 said:

So are you expecting this to be a full 8t8r upgrade

I wouldn't count on it. If they have been doing mini-macros at other sites, I wouldn't expect them to change that up just yet. I'm going to slide these over to the ABQ/El Paso thread it a bit since they don't really pertain to the topics(s) in this thread. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't count on it. If they have been doing mini-macros at other sites, I wouldn't expect them to change that up just yet. I'm going to slide these over to the ABQ/El Paso thread it a bit since they don't really pertain to the topics(s) in this thread. 

So this is totally .. future proofing the site .. for future capcity upgrades? I figured from the only full build site so far it took quiet some time for it to be turned on these mini macros turn on quick

1 minute ago, tyroned3222 said:

So this is totally .. future proofing the site .. for future capcity upgrades? I figured from the only full build site so far it took quiet some time for it to be turned on these mini macros turn on quick

No, this is adding support for an additional antenna. A new antenna is required for B41 whether it is a mini-macro or an 8T8R. Any additional antennas will need additional support arms.

• Like 1

No, this is adding support for an additional antenna. A new antenna is required for B41 whether it is a mini-macro or an 8T8R. Any additional antennas will need additional support arms.
Wait I'm confused. On the Stonewall tower sprint proceeded with the same antennas , but added a new rru so those Ericsson panels are both brodcasting b41/b25

18 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Wait I'm confused. On the Stonewall tower sprint proceeded with the same antennas , but added a new rru so those Ericsson panels are both brodcasting b41/b25

It's called triband antennas. Many older installations, such as your region, utilized 10 port models which support 800/1.9/2.5 to replace older NV dual band hex ports. 

Newer deployments typically utilize the 16 port triband antennas or an addition of a dual band 800/2.5 10 port antenna. The new poles they're adding indicate they're site prepping for likely a new antenna add of some sort. 

• Like 1

It's called triband antennas. Many older installations, such as your region, utilized 10 port models which support 800/1.9/2.5 to replace older NV dual band hex ports. 
Newer deployments typically utilize the 16 port triband antennas or an addition of a dual band 800/2.5 10 port antenna. The new poles they're adding indicate they're site prepping for likely a new antenna add of some sort. 
Thanks for the clarification.. I will go by the site on Friday and see if they added anything else

7 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

What Tim said, but also the tower pictured a few posts up appears to have only dual-band antennas (though in your case only PCS is utilized). This Stonewall tower may have had the dual-band antenna replaced with a tri-band (B25/26/41) antenna which is why you see just the addition of the mini-macro unit. It is not the "same antenna." They did in fact replace them, just it was a one-to-one replacement so you likely wouldn't have noticed much difference aside from the mini-macro. These towers it would appear they are going to add a full new antenna for B41. It may be 8T8R, or it may be one of the newer antenna models Tim mentioned.

• Like 1

What Tim said, but also the tower pictured a few posts up appears to have only dual-band antennas (though in your case only PCS is utilized). This Stonewall tower may have had the dual-band antenna replaced with a tri-band (B25/26/41) antenna which is why you see just the addition of the mini-macro unit. It is not the "same antenna." They did in fact replace them, just it was a one-to-one replacement so you likely wouldn't have noticed much difference aside from the mini-macro. These towers it would appear they are going to add a full new antenna for B41. It may be 8T8R, or it may be one of the newer antenna models Tim mentioned.
Thanks for the explanation. I will check the site on Friday ... About the install.. how long do these usually take 3-5 days ?

21 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Thanks for the explanation. I will check the site on Friday ... About the install.. how long do these usually take 3-5 days ?

Every site is different, there is no good average to give you. Anywhere from two days to a couple weeks or more.