Network Vision/LTE - SF Bay Market

breakaes

only when a CDMA shutdown happens. The 20mhz on the A block can be used to do 10X10. Right now 10mhz of it is being used for CDMA. The G Block cant be used on CDMA.

only when a CDMA shutdown happens. The 20mhz on the A block can be used to do 10X10. Right now 10mhz of it is being used for CDMA. The G Block cant be used on CDMA.

I'm not sure which post you're replying to, but yeah there will only be 2 5x5 B25 carriers until the CDMA shutdown. There's no room to expand further, and no way to make a 10x10 until then. Of course, this means no EVDO, but there would be a single 1x800 carrier.

In other words, it's years away from being a possibility.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I'm not sure which post you're replying to, but yeah there will only be 2 5x5 B25 carriers until the CDMA shutdown. There's no room to expand further, and no way to make a 10x10 until then. Of course, this means no EVDO, but there would be a single 1x800 carrier.

In other words, it's years away from being a possibility.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

It didn't quote right. Someone was asking about 10x10. Told him that 20 mhz on the A block can do 10x10 but not until CDMA is shutdown which is years away

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hope that extends to stations not shared by bart

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yeah I believe BART now has service in most stations and tunnels. The southern portion had it for a while, and last I checked downtown also has it now, albeit not B41. I think it's been extended to the East Bay now as well. Ashby Station has B26 (seemingly a DAS), but I couldn't find B25 oddly. It cut out halfway to the downtown Berkeley station. So they're definitely making progress on BART at least.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• 3 months later...

Not sprint related. But very interesting major screw up on sfmta's part knowing att 2g was shutting down on Jan 1st 2017 and not upgrading their systems before that. What the hell.

http://hoodline.com/2017/01/sfmta-inaccurate-nextbus-predictions-will-take-weeks-to-restore

Not sprint related. But very interesting major screw up on sfmta's part knowing att 2g was shutting down on Jan 1st 2017 and not upgrading their systems before that. What the hell.

http://hoodline.com/2017/01/sfmta-inaccurate-nextbus-predictions-will-take-weeks-to-restore

Stupid stupid stupid.

• 1 year later...

Intermittent LTE outages in Concord all morning long. Hopefully it's a sign of upgrades being performed. My phone typically parks on B41, but today it keeps going to 3G eHRPD.

Edit: On a side note, after restarting my U11 I'm now parking on B26. 

B41 is coming in intermittently today, however with the DL less than 1 Mbps. Strangely though the UL is around 6 Mbps. 
Could be congestion. Also on newer Samsung phones, there are some carrier aggregation combos that for some reason dramatically lower speeds at the moment. It will eventually get fixed, but that could be a reason. You can try disabling some CA combinations if you have a Samsung device, or do a profile update to reset them to the current default.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Although all good ideas, I don't think it's any of those things. Strange network behavior just started happening last Friday and has continued until today. I'm hoping Tim is right and it means in the Bay Area we will realize network improvements in the near future. 

For the last week my HTC U11 will park on B41 when I'm connected to wifi, but if I turn off wifi it will immediately switch to 3g or B25/B26. A few times it remained on B41 long enough for me to do a speed test and the DL is 0.2-0.4 Mbps, regardless of good or bad signal. Hopefully the firmware updates will finish soon and my B41 will go back to normal or better. 

On 9/1/2018 at 1:38 AM, briank86 said:

For the last week my HTC U11 will park on B41 when I'm connected to wifi, but if I turn off wifi it will immediately switch to 3g or B25/B26. A few times it remained on B41 long enough for me to do a speed test and the DL is 0.2-0.4 Mbps, regardless of good or bad signal. Hopefully the firmware updates will finish soon and my B41 will go back to normal or better. 

Is this a new B41 signal? I noticed a new B41 site let me connect while I was on WiFi, but once data tried flow it shut me down and pushed the phone over to B25.

1 minute ago, briank86 said:

Nope. I've had B41 for a long time at that site and others nearby. 

Ah, maybe a network change of some kind. My home site in Kansas City has been Clear B41 since they started bringing that online. When I went home this past weekend, they had swapped it out to Ericsson B41. Maybe I should have asked not if it was a new signal, but a different one? If it's been an 8T8R site this whole time, I don't have any other ideas.

Ah, maybe a network change of some kind. My home site in Kansas City has been Clear B41 since they started bringing that online. When I went home this past weekend, they had swapped it out to Ericsson B41. Maybe I should have asked not if it was a new signal, but a different one? If it's been an 8T8R site this whole time, I don't have any other ideas.
They could have maybe swapped out equipment. 25% of SF market's B41 is from triband sites. Even higher within the city. They may have swapped out the antennas for a 16 port triband?

6 minutes ago, ingenium said:

They could have maybe swapped out equipment. 25% of SF market's B41 is from triband sites. Even higher within the city. They may have swapped out the antennas for a 16 port triband?

Definitely possible. They've been pretty agrees lately on trying to get 4x4 and 8x8 on as many sites as possible.

That definitely would explain the situation. I'm noticing in the whole Concord area B41 is acting strange. I imagine swapping out 1 tower only takes a day or 2. So maybe they are swapping out all the towers in the area and once all testing and optimization in the area is complete, B41 will return to normal behavior.

That definitely would explain the situation. I'm noticing in the whole Concord area B41 is acting strange. I imagine swapping out 1 tower only takes a day or 2. So maybe they are swapping out all the towers in the area and once all testing and optimization in the area is complete, B41 will return to normal behavior.
I mean in theory is should improve B41 performance if the site was using original triband antennas. The old tribands were 4t4r b41. However the 16 port tribands, while being 8t8r, have a narrower beamwidth compared to NV 1.0 and I believe standalone 8t8r, meaning coverage is weaker between sectors. I'm unsure how they compare to the original triband antennas. So if you're between sectors, that could explain the worse performance.

That being said, it should be a direct replacement at basically the same positioning. The b41 and b25 RRUs likely aren't touched. They usually add a second b26 rru or replace it with a 4t4r capable one. But since the antenna is different, there probably is some sort of of optimization that they'd do.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:37 AM, ingenium said:

I mean in theory is should improve B41 performance if the site was using original triband antennas. The old tribands were 4t4r b41. However the 16 port tribands, while being 8t8r, have a narrower beamwidth compared to NV 1.0 and I believe standalone 8t8r, meaning coverage is weaker between sectors. I'm unsure how they compare to the original triband antennas. So if you're between sectors, that could explain the worse performance.

The original triband antennas had significantly wider beamwidths. In my experience the increase in MIMO does not compensate for the lost coverage between sectors or at elevations drastically different from the elevation of the RAT center. 

• 3 weeks later...