Network Vision/LTE - SF Bay Market

breakaes

Dougherty Valley area in San Ramon (94582) getting B41 coverage now, so I guess they just turned it on. Have had B25 for the last 2 years or so, but just noticed B41 is active.

Do you have any Signal Check logs you could send me? I can add them to the B41 map.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Here you go (see attached)

Awesome, thanks for that. Got a new band 25 confirmation and band 41 confirmation (dual carrier too). I'll include it in the next map update. It's site FS16XC012 btw (corresponds to all the log entries except the very last one in your screenshot, which is a SF site we already had confirmed).

If you can send me your full text log I can go through it to see if you have any other new sites.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Reviving this thread for some clarification, I might be flying out to San Francisco later this week and was wondering about the LTE coverage B41 specifically in the city?

I tried checking Sprints coverage maps and they really need to change their colors from the one shade of yellow to another where you can't tell the difference?! Whoever made that map needs to be fired and they need to use different colors to clearly differentiate the coverage that sprint provides between bands so they're easily seen.

Thanks guys for the responses!

Reviving this thread for some clarification, I might be flying out to San Francisco later this week and was wondering about the LTE coverage B41 specifically in the city?

I tried checking Sprints coverage maps and they really need to change their colors from the one shade of yellow to another where you can't tell the difference?! Whoever made that map needs to be fired and they need to use different colors to clearly differentiate the coverage that sprint provides between bands so they're easily seen.

LTE is pretty ubiquitous at this point. However B25 and B26 are often very overloaded. Downtown in the financial district the B41 is mostly from Clearwire sites. Most of the other sites have B41, but increased density is needed to prevent dropping to B25/26. You shouldn't really have a problem using your phone as long as you don't mind it being slow at times, but if you rely on Hangouts for voice calls for example non-B41 is usually too congested for it to work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I was in San Fran and San Jose for a vacation trip 2 weeks ago. Both places have usable data for me. I didn't have problems making calls, or stream videos. However, I spent time mostly outdoors. I did see mostly B25 and B41 (a few B26) during my trip and data was not a problem for me. 

Edited by Hmight

• 2 weeks later...

I was in San Fran and San Jose for a vacation trip 2 weeks ago. Both places have usable data for me. I didn't have problems making calls, or stream videos. However, I spent time mostly outdoors. I did see mostly B25 and B41 (a few B26) during my trip and data was not a problem for me. 

I see all bands during the day in my office, depending on the tower load and I hope the addition of additional B41 carriers will stop me from being dropped to B25/B26 at times. 

The BART DAS has now been upgraded under SF (the southern portion's DAS was upgraded a while ago). Only B25 is present, but it's somewhat weak and unstable at times (-100 dBm in the stations). It changed GCIs once I entered the transbay tube and then cut out when I hit the bottom of the bay. So it's likely still be deployed. It seems to be independent (or fed from a different source) from the CDMA portion on the DAS. It's about time!

• Like 1

The BART DAS has now been upgraded under SF (the southern portion's DAS was upgraded a while ago). Only B25 is present, but it's somewhat weak and unstable at times (-100 dBm in the stations). It changed GCIs once I entered the transbay tube and then cut out when I hit the bottom of the bay. So it's likely still be deployed. It seems to be independent (or fed from a different source) from the CDMA portion on the DAS. It's about time!

That must have been done in the last couple of weeks because last time there was nothing but 1x or 3G in the transbay tunnel. I hope Sprint gets the rest up and running soon.

That must have been done in the last couple of weeks because last time there was nothing but 1x or 3G in the transbay tunnel. I hope Sprint gets the rest up and running soon.

It wasn't there on April 13 when I took BART to the airport (well, I had picked up the GCI near CCSF on March 30, but I assume that was just in very early test mode). So it definitely rolled out in the last 2 weeks or so. Like I said, most of the transbay tunnel was 3G still, but progress is being made. I think they're still in the middle of rolling it out. I first noticed it around Glenn Park (I saw I still had LTE, and usually the southern portion's DAS cuts out by then). It held until I left Embarcadero, then changed GCIs (to 0A636000 from 0A636400, so pretty close and in the GCI range for new builds) before dropping to 3G.

Hopefully they can get B41 on it (or at least B26), because I'm not sure if B25 alone can handle the load especially during peak times. Then hopefully Oakland gets LTE underground as well. It seems that Sprint is really working on getting LTE on transit system DAS installations lately (NYC and DC being examples). Though it was 6+ months between getting the southern BART DAS upgraded and it going live on the downtown SF portion, so who knows.

• Like 1

It wasn't there on April 13 when I took BART to the airport (well, I had picked up the GCI near CCSF on March 30, but I assume that was just in very early test mode). So it definitely rolled out in the last 2 weeks or so. Like I said, most of the transbay tunnel was 3G still, but progress is being made. I think they're still in the middle of rolling it out. I first noticed it around Glenn Park (I saw I still had LTE, and usually the southern portion's DAS cuts out by then). It held until I left Embarcadero, then changed GCIs (to 0A636000 from 0A636400, so pretty close and in the GCI range for new builds) before dropping to 3G.

Hopefully they can get B41 on it (or at least B26), because I'm not sure if B25 alone can handle the load especially during peak times. Then hopefully Oakland gets LTE underground as well. It seems that Sprint is really working on getting LTE on transit system DAS installations lately (NYC and DC being examples). Though it was 6+ months between getting the southern BART DAS upgraded and it going live on the downtown SF portion, so who knows.

Its progress and Sprint still has plenty of work to get the market fully ready for prime time

Its progress and Sprint still has plenty of work to get the market fully ready for prime time

It also doesn't help that Sprint's PCS holdings here are so small, since they sold some to ATT many years ago. They're supposedly working to refarm enough CDMA to add a second 5x5 B25 carrier, but they'd have to drop down to 1 CDMA and 2 EVDO (I think) carriers to make that happen. They still have at least 2 CDMA and 3 EVDO carriers live last I looked.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

It also doesn't help that Sprint's PCS holdings here are so small, since they sold some to ATT many years ago. They're supposedly working to refarm enough CDMA to add a second 5x5 B25 carrier, but they'd have to drop down to 1 CDMA and 2 EVDO (I think) carriers to make that happen. They still have at least 2 CDMA and 3 EVDO carriers live last I looked.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I think you may be mistaken but I think there is a swap of spectrum to better align the bands in the works. But Sprint should have enought B41 available to cover the market if they start deploying small cells.

I think you may be mistaken but I think there is a swap of spectrum to better align the bands in the works. But Sprint should have enought B41 available to cover the market if they start deploying small cells.

Not out here yet. Att and tmobile has the Lions share of spectrum and they've realigned themselves years back.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Not out here yet. Att and tmobile has the Lions share of spectrum and they've realigned themselves years back.

That is sad and I hope Sprint will be able to cover California better as the other carriers. If you look at the Central California service area, Sprint is mostly along the freeways available while the other three carriers cover even ares between the I-5 and Hyw-1 (PCH)

That is sad and I hope Sprint will be able to cover California better as the other carriers. If you look at the Central California service area, Sprint is mostly along the freeways available while the other three carriers cover even ares between the I-5 and Hyw-1 (PCH)

A few Nextel conversions and they will match if not eclipse the other carriers in California coverage.

A few Nextel conversions and they will match if not eclipse the other carriers in California coverage.

That would be great and I think they could even get away with just deploying LTE on B26 only because in rural areas I don't see super high demand. If they should see high demand, add B25 to the mix. 

Wish Sprint would finally see Interstates as priority too because that is why a lot of people are not switching because Sprint in their mind set has turned into T-Mobile from 4 years ago.

That would be great and I think they could even get away with just deploying LTE on B26 only because in rural areas I don't see super high demand. If they should see high demand, add B25 to the mix.

Wish Sprint would finally see Interstates as priority too because that is why a lot of people are not switching because Sprint in their mind set has turned into T-Mobile from 4 years ago.

I think that once sprints current network is strong to Marcelo's (and rootmetrics's) satisfaction, they will throw up a ton of B10/B26 sites in areas they don't currently cover just like T-Mobile has been doing with their B12. Since Nextel conversions are easy, I'm sure California will get some love. The real question in my mind is as to when they will finish on their current network.

I think that once sprints current network is strong to Marcelo's (and rootmetrics's) satisfaction, they will throw up a ton of B10/B26 sites in areas they don't currently cover just like T-Mobile has been doing with their B12. Since Nextel conversions are easy, I'm sure California will get some love. The real question in my mind is as to when they will finish on their current network.

Sprint has no AWS spectrum to delay band 10.