Network Vision/LTE - SF Bay Market

breakaes

Very excited to see LTE underground on BART! I think they upgraded the DAS between Colma and SFO. I didn't get LTE underground anywhere else and the SINR was way too high to be coming from an aboveground site.

• Like 8

Very excited to see LTE underground on BART! I think they upgraded the DAS between Colma and SFO. I didn't get LTE underground anywhere else and the SINR was way too high to be coming from an aboveground site.

Oh wow. Almost looking forward to riding BART. Is the DAS shared in Muni subway under Market?

Oh wow. Almost looking forward to riding BART. Is the DAS shared in Muni subway under Market?

So far the upgrade appears to only have been done south of Daly City. I was riding BART all over the bay area and didn't get LTE anywhere else but there. Signal was incredible though.
  • Like 2

which bands?

New report out on SF:

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/san-francisco-ca/2015/1H

The fun stats:

This marks the eighth time we’ve tested the San Francisco market. Our previous round of testing occurred in August 2014.

AT&T and Verizon shared the Overall RootScore Award. During our testing in August, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile shared this award.

Since our testing in August, Sprint’s median download speed increased from 4.0 Mbps to 9.1 Mbps, and Sprint’s median upload speed increased from 2.1 Mbps to 4.3 Mbps.

T-Mobile’s median download speed increased from 15.1 Mbps to 18.5 Mbps since August, and T-Mobile’s median upload speed increased from 12.8 Mbps to 19.4 Mbps.

Verizon’s median download speed increased from 11.2 Mbps to 16.9 Mbps, and Verizon’s median upload speed increased from 8.4 Mbps to 11.0 Mbps.

• Like 1

Blocked and dropped calls are poor for all carriers in San Francisco. That's probably not a coincidence. Is it as bad as the results make it seem?

I can hardly get GPS to work sometimes in the downtown area with all the high rise buildings. Cellular Service was also poor as well. Thick conrete and steel all over the place doesn't help. 

• Like 1

I can hardly get GPS to work sometimes in the downtown area with all the high rise buildings. Cellular Service was also poor as well. Thick conrete and steel all over the place doesn't help. 

NYC is the same way, in some ways worse but I don't recall encountering this problem in NYC. That's weird.

New report out on SF:

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/san-francisco-ca/2015/1H

The fun stats:

This marks the eighth time we’ve tested the San Francisco market. Our previous round of testing occurred in August 2014.

AT&T and Verizon shared the Overall RootScore Award. During our testing in August, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile shared this award.

Since our testing in August, Sprint’s median download speed increased from 4.0 Mbps to 9.1 Mbps, and Sprint’s median upload speed increased from 2.1 Mbps to 4.3 Mbps.

T-Mobile’s median download speed increased from 15.1 Mbps to 18.5 Mbps since August, and T-Mobile’s median upload speed increased from 12.8 Mbps to 19.4 Mbps.

Verizon’s median download speed increased from 11.2 Mbps to 16.9 Mbps, and Verizon’s median upload speed increased from 8.4 Mbps to 11.0 Mbps.

Is it significant that TMO's upload is higher than download?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it significant that TMO's upload is higher than download?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It typically means that download is experiencing slow downs due to capacity.  A lot of download capacity is being used up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know if Sprint in San Francisco has sorted out their CSFB issues?

I was a Spint customer for 10yrs+ until last year, when I got a Nexus 5. After struggling with LTE (and support rep) issues, I finally just threw in the towel and stuck an ATT sim in my Nexus.

On ATT I'm getting 30down/20up... when my phone sees LTE (at work). When it doesn't (at home), I'm at about 13down/2up.

The thing I miss more than bandwidth, however is Google Voice integration. With ATT my phone rings for the call, then if I don't pick up, it rings again as it goes to VM... Outgoing calls don't show my GV number... I  hoped Google would integrate with other carriers, but at this point I can't see that happening.

Anyway...

Any Nexus 5 users out there happy with their SF LTE service?

Edited by kshep

Does anybody know if Sprint in San Francisco has sorted out their CSFB issues?

I was a Spint customer for 10yrs+ until last year, when I got a Nexus 5. After struggling with LTE (and support rep) issues, I finally just threw in the towel and stuck an ATT sim in my Nexus.

On ATT I'm getting 30down/20up... when my phone sees LTE (at work). When it doesn't (at home), I'm at about 13down/2up.

The thing I miss more than bandwidth, however is Google Voice integration. With ATT my phone rings for the call, then if I don't pick up, it rings again as it goes to VM... Outgoing calls don't show my GV number... I  hoped Google would integrate with other carriers, but at this point I can't see that happening.

Anyway...

Any Nexus 5 users out there happy with their SF LTE service?

The big switch was flipped around December and now SF is an official Spark market.  Night and day difference compared 2014.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope these three areas are somewhere on the list for 2015:

1) Market & Castro - no sign of life for such major destination and how long has Vision been going?

2) Muni underground station - The current DAS in there is like a donut.  Can't even an SMS through.

3) Forget LTE, how about just 1x800 between Bay Area and LA.  

Overall, things are pretty good in bay area.  I wish my phone M8 would try to get a lock LTE signal longer before going 3G, since after a short elevator ride, it might sit on 3G for a few mins before going back.

Agreed. The Market & Castro issue is frustrating. I would add NV improvements for the Duboce Triangle and Dogpatch towers and LTE in the Presidio, and then I'd pretty much be happy with Sprint service all over SF. In general, though, I'm satisfied.

1) Market & Castro - no sign of life for such major destination and how long has Vision been going?

2) Muni underground station - The current DAS in there is like a donut. Can't even an SMS through.

Overall, things are pretty good in bay area. I wish my phone M8 would try to get a lock LTE signal longer before going 3G, since after a short elevator ride, it might sit on 3G for a few mins before going back.

Five, being so insanely busy, remains a black hole of coverage for Sprint (and I'll add for T-Mobile). Even AT&T has issues on it at some point. I don't understand how they can just ignore such a major artery.

2) Muni underground station - The current DAS in there is like a donut. Can't even an SMS through.

Overall, things are pretty good in bay area. I wish my phone M8 would try to get a lock LTE signal longer before going 3G, since after a short elevator ride, it might sit on 3G for a few mins before going back.

Is there any (usable) service there? Is there LTE and it's overloaded or?