Sensorly - New market deployements

Can you PLEASE give us the option to start mapping as soon as the App starts? just a checkbox in the settings would work.

That way I can make it automatically map in the background EVERY TIME i put my phone in my car dock. I drive all over the US and could map a lot of data and I think others would use this feature as well.

It does map when the app is running so if you don't exit the screen you're fine. If you do, I understand the need.

However, the current version should start mapping as soon as you dock and stop when you undock. Doesn't it ?

About one week ago I checked and it did not start mapping immediately.

basically I have a Tasker task that as soon as I dock my phone, it starts sensorly, starts navigation, and starts playing music. So sensorly is running in the background without me touching it at all (it started to the welcome screen, i believe).

Sensorly was not mapping my signal during this time.

EDIT: I see sensorly has updated since my last test, was this recently added? I will test it again.

Edited by modplan

We are using undocumented APIs, similar to what we did for Wimax info. If you go to the details screen, you will see the info we get. It depends on the phones.

If I am understanding this correctly.... it's impressive that you were able to gather the signal strength previously without really knowing it. Now you're able to go back and reprocess the data? Very cool if I'm understanding this correctly.

It does map when the app is running so if you don't exit the screen you're fine. If you do, I understand the need. However, the current version should start mapping as soon as you dock and stop when you undock. Doesn't it ?

I believe this is how it has always worked for me even before the interface "re-work". I can flip over to the details and see it marking points and uploading them every so often. Its actually the screen I watch when I'm mapping out an area as it doesn't have to redraw the map, never used the map trip button whatever I hear people talking about.

Hello Mr Sensorly,

A few comments for you. I think about every heavy user of S4GRU really likes your App. I think you will find some real Techies on S4GRU and at least a few who think they are techies. We are the type people you need for Sensorly.

I have been using Sensorly for awhile and thought I understood how to use it. But now, after following a few conversations here, I am beginning to question some things.

Could you give us sort of a mini user manual or some instructions. I was under the impression that we had to use "MAP TRIP" to have the app collect and report data to you. I thought we had to hit the "start button". If we want to collect and send data for long periods and make sure it continues uninterrupted while we do other things with the phone, what should we be doing when we start the app??

I had thought that the app might not collect and report unless the start button was depressed.

If we do NOT need to be using "MAP TRIP", why do you sort of have it highlighted and why is it there??

I looked at your FAQ on your web site? Some good info there, but not really any instructions on how to use the APP. The app is not difficult to use, but eventually a techie starts digging into it and has questions.

• Like 1

If I am understanding this correctly.... it's impressive that you were able to gather the signal strength previously without really knowing it. Now you're able to go back and reprocess the data? Very cool if I'm understanding this correctly.

We knew we were gathering it but it improved as time went by and new phones were released, it's been a couple months. Now that we've checked the data and implemented the server handling we can release them.

Hello Mr Sensorly, A few comments for you. I think about every heavy user of S4GRU really likes your App. I think you will find some real Techies on S4GRU and at least a few who think they are techies. We are the type people you need for Sensorly. I have been using Sensorly for awhile and thought I understood how to use it. But now, after following a few conversations here, I am beginning to question some things. Could you give us sort of a mini user manual or some instructions. I was under the impression that we had to use "MAP TRIP" to have the app collect and report data to you. I thought we had to hit the "start button". If we want to collect and send data for long periods and make sure it continues uninterrupted while we do other things with the phone, what should we be doing when we start the app?? I had thought that the app might not collect and report unless the start button was depressed. If we do NOT need to be using "MAP TRIP", why do you sort of have it highlighted and why is it there?? I looked at your FAQ on your web site? Some good info there, but not really any instructions on how to use the APP. The app is not difficult to use, but eventually a techie starts digging into it and has questions.

When the app starts, it collects data. When you exit the app it stops

When you press "Start", it will continue collecting data after you exit the app (that's why it adds an icon in the status bar.

(of course, it collects data ONLY if you opt-in & allow it)

Edited by sensorly
  • Like 3

Great to see you on here, Sensorly. And many thanks for answering my tweet last week (and implementing) the distinction between the Sprint 4G networks. Keep up the great work.. it's an awesome tool to watch the LTE coverage roll out!

• Like 2

I did notice that if I start the app but don't press start right away when I eventually do press start it shows all the points since I started the app. Good to know those points are being shared to the server even tho I didn't press start.

Any clue as to why my 3g points hardly update even though 4g in those exact points do update regularly.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

No idea if this is the right place, but...

On Sensory, every time I use the "report" function, it comes back with "Error occured"[sic], even if I'm connected to a fast internet connection and connected to GPS fine. EVO 4G LTE on CNA (based on CM10)

I did notice that if I start the app but don't press start right away when I eventually do press start it shows all the points since I started the app. Good to know those points are being shared to the server even tho I didn't press start.

Any clue as to why my 3g points hardly update even though 4g in those exact points do update regularly.

When the phone is connected to 4G, we only add the 4G data points to the map because the phone doesn't tell us exactly the radio G technology (1x, EVDO 0, EVDO A, EVDO B)

No idea if this is the right place, but...

On Sensory, every time I use the "report" function, it comes back with "Error occured"[sic], even if I'm connected to a fast internet connection and connected to GPS fine. EVO 4G LTE on CNA (based on CM10)

We've been notified of this bug. We are working on it, it looks like it's just he error handling that's not up to par. Hopefully fixed in the next release. Thanks

We have an iOS app that shows the maps and has the speed test stuff.

But apple doesn't provide apis for collecting signal strength and, although we have found some hidden APIs, they wouldn't be allowed on the appstore :(

Are you willing to share the source code for the iOS app? Those of us who are developers can certainly compile and install the app; I'm sure some power users would do the same.

You might also try submitting the app, getting the rejection, then apply to the Appeals Board. They overturn rejections regularly... I think you could make the case that a crowd-sourced coverage map is a good thing and access to the data is necessary. Rest of the app had better be polished as s**t though.

• Like 1

Are you willing to share the source code for the iOS app? Those of us who are developers can certainly compile and install the app; I'm sure some power users would do the same.

You might also try submitting the app, getting the rejection, then apply to the Appeals Board. They overturn rejections regularly... I think you could make the case that a crowd-sourced coverage map is a good thing and access to the data is necessary. Rest of the app had better be polished as s**t though.

No we can't share the source at the moment. We'll move forward on this around the end of the year. We might even just put it on Cydia.

• Like 2

About one week ago I checked and it did not start mapping immediately.

basically I have a Tasker task that as soon as I dock my phone, it starts sensorly, starts navigation, and starts playing music. So sensorly is running in the background without me touching it at all (it started to the welcome screen, i believe).

Sensorly was not mapping my signal during this time.

EDIT: I see sensorly has updated since my last test, was this recently added? I will test it again.

Ok I would like to revise my previous statement. Can you add an option for Map Trip to start every time the app is started?

While it looks like the app surely collects info while it is running, if you switch to any other app or even press Home, it looks like it stops collecting data and is even sometimes killed. This prevents me from playing music or using navigation and still mapping while I drive automatically.

Thanks, cool to see you here listening to users!

While it looks like the app surely collects info while it is running, if you switch to any other app or even press Home, it looks like it stops collecting data and is even sometimes killed. This prevents me from playing music or using navigation and still mapping while I drive automatically.

There's an option in Menu/Parameters/General called "Flush app from memory". I disabled it but I'm not sure if that's the exact behavior I am/you are looking for.

When I drive, I hit Map Trip and Start. Data collection still occurs even if I switch to another app (just don't turn the screen off.)

When the phone is connected to 4G, we only add the 4G data points to the map because the phone doesn't tell us exactly the radio G technology (1x, EVDO 0, EVDO A, EVDO B)

I mean just straight 3g. My area doesn't look covered at all by 3g but it has plenty 3g. I always have sensorly on when I drive home. Never puts my area in green.

But works just fine for my 4g hunting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Just noticed some Grey areas near purple. Not lite purple, and but Grey. What is this? Look near santa Clara ca.

Interesting.. that's a new one. Someone just plotted grey on Lawrence Expy. There's some new grey points on 92 also.

I've personally plotted some grey points with WiMAX recently, but do not know what it means.

There's an option in Menu/Parameters/General called "Flush app from memory". I disabled it but I'm not sure if that's the exact behavior I am/you are looking for.

When I drive, I hit Map Trip and Start. Data collection still occurs even if I switch to another app (just don't turn the screen off.)

Yea I've tried toggling this without any difference (that I can notice). Thanks for the tip though!

I think it would be great, and a lot of people would love it, if there was a setting to make it START on the Map Trip screen and automatically start the tracking. Then we could switch to any other app we want (navigation, music, whatever) and there would be a nice icon in the notification bar showing us that we are tracking and helping Sensorly build their maps!

I think it would be great, and a lot of people would love it, if there was a setting to make it START on the Map Trip screen and automatically start the tracking. Then we could switch to any other app we want (navigation, music, whatever) and there would be a nice icon in the notification bar showing us that we are tracking and helping Sensorly build their maps!

Are you saying the notification bar icon disappears when you do a manual Map Trip after awhile? Because there's already a notification bar icon that appears when you're mapping and remains persistent when you hit Home and then open another app and have it running....though I haven't tested it long term yet. I will be Friday however. I wonder though if your issues have anything to do with the fact you're on an Evo LTE? I keep seeing people comment about the kind of flaky reception at least with LTE specifically on that phone.

Are you saying the notification bar icon disappears when you do a manual Map Trip after awhile? Because there's already a notification bar icon that appears when you're mapping and remains persistent when you hit Home and then open another app and have it running....though I haven't tested it long term yet. I will be Friday however. I wonder though if your issues have anything to do with the fact you're on an Evo LTE? I keep seeing people comment about the kind of flaky reception at least with LTE specifically on that phone.

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with the phone. All I want is for sensorly to give the option to automatically start the map trip as soon as the app is launched.

Gotcha...and don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against that by any means. I guess I'm just trying to understand exactly where the problem is, i.e. (a.) is it simply that you want that option and there's nothing else to it for the purposes of your auto-tasking, or (b.) are you having the notification tray icon disappear and mapping stop on you at some point when you manually do a Map Trip (or have you even tried b to see if this occurs)?

Just noticed some Grey areas near purple. Not lite purple, and but Grey. What is this? Look near santa Clara ca.

Yes, that's new : grey = no 4G available.

Where did you see some ? (There was a bug for a few minutes after we deployed so most of it must have disappeared)