Photon Q 4G LTE Performance

Tomas

Since it will be probably another 7-8 months before LTE creeps into my area, I'm curious as to what other PQ owners might be seeing as far as 4G performance and the ease of moving 3G > 4G > 3G in normal use.

This is mostly to give myself a look forward to what I might expect (and a chance to forward problems or oddities to Motorola and Sprint).

So far, on just 3G, I'm very pleased with my PQ. It's likely the best physical QWERTY smartphone on the market today.

Thanks!

It'll be a few months still for me but I should be beating 7-8 months certainly if all goes on schedule here at home. I also will probably be up in the Harrisburg PA area at least once if not twice before the end of the year where LTE is said to be live to some extent...I'll try to remember to come back and post reflections whenever I finally encounter it one way or another.

Outside of LTE, I've had mine about 2 1/2 weeks so far and though I still have signal issues at work (and no working Roam Control yet, though MrGreg is supposed to be working on getting 4.0+ Motorola phones working), I'm very pleased overall. Biggest issue for me is still trying to get used to the keyboard...its good overall in general, but they really needed to shift the bottom letter row over to the right more than they did, its just 'off' compared to the norm. If I had a nickel for every time I've intended to type an 'n' and mistype with an 'm' instead I'd be rich.

• Like 1

Since it will be probably another 7-8 months before LTE creeps into my area, I'm curious as to what other PQ owners might be seeing as far as 4G performance and the ease of moving 3G > 4G > 3G in normal use.

This is mostly to give myself a look forward to what I might expect (and a chance to forward problems or oddities to Motorola and Sprint).

So far, on just 3G, I'm very pleased with my PQ. It's likely the best physical QWERTY smartphone on the market today.

Thanks!

From my experience this past weekend in Atlanta, the switching between 4G and 3G is seamless. I was in the middle of doing a speed test while on 4G, and the connection dropped back to 3G in the middle of the test. The test continued like nothing happened, other than the obvious drop in speed. I think we're in for a good network once it's all said and done.

However, switching from 3G to 4G was kind of a pain. Sometimes it would switch after a few minutes of being in a 4G area, others I had to enable and disable Airplane Mode to get it to connect. A few times, it wouldn't even stay on 4G, but showed it briefly and then drop right back to 3G (when obviously a 4G LTE signal was available). I had to force it to "LTE Only" mode (by dialing *#*#4636#*#*). It would hold an LTE connection fairly well in that mode, but you aren't able to make calls because CDMA is disabled. Hopefully once most towers are upgraded and LTE has solid footprint, this won't be an issue.

That being said, and to summarize...I'd say the Photon Q is a great device and it really wasn't the devices "fault" that caused the issues above. More like weak LTE signals in this early stage of deployment.

Biggest issue for me is still trying to get used to the keyboard...its good overall in general, but they really needed to shift the bottom letter row over to the right more than they did, its just 'off' compared to the norm. If I had a nickel for every time I've intended to type an 'n' and mistype with an 'm' instead I'd be rich.

My thoughts exactly! I keep hitting that darn 'M' every time I want an 'N'! Other than that, I don't have any complaints about the keyboard. It's really easy to use.

Biggest issue for me is still trying to get used to the keyboard...its good overall in general, but they really needed to shift the bottom letter row over to the right more than they did, its just 'off' compared to the norm. If I had a nickel for every time I've intended to type an 'n' and mistype with an 'm' instead I'd be rich.

My thoughts exactly! I keep hitting that darn 'M' every time I want an 'N'! Other than that, I don't have any complaints about the keyboard. It's really easy to use.

My only problem with the keyboard is that is am still hitting [caps lock] instead of [shift] when I want shift. My older devices had [shift] closer to where the [caps lock] is on the PQ, and didn't have a [caps lock] key. (Caps lock was accomplished by a double click of the [shift].)

Other than that "self training" problem with the keyboard it is the best smartphone keyboard out there so far. :D

Thanks!

I have a photon Q in Chicago. I get anywhere from 5mbps up to 30mbps down, and 7 to 17mbps up.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Here is a speed test done at my house in Chicago.

post-4754-0-28046000-1350442279_thumb.png

• Like 4