Network Vision/LTE - Central and South Jersey Markets

mrradic

Their doing that everywhere that they can. I think it's a great move. I don't know their holdings there

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

over here lte service is still spotty at best when off the main highway

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

So will they go all LTE here soon?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

No place on the Sprint network is going all LTE any time soon. There will be least 1 or 2 1xRTT carriers and 1 EVDO carrier until CDMA is shut down, which won't be for a couple of years at least.

No place on the Sprint network is going all LTE any time soon. There will be least 1 or 2 1xRTT carriers and 1 EVDO carrier until CDMA is shut down, which won't be for a couple of years at least.
Well I'm looking forward to Sprint's continued improvements. So the thinning of CDMA shows me they are increasing capacity in New Jersey which is fantastic.

Just now, danlodish345 said:

Well I'm looking forward to Sprint's continued improvements. So the thinning of CDMA shows me they are increasing capacity in New Jersey which is fantastic.

Yes, thinning is important, getting more or wider LTE carriers on air. But they won't be shutting down CDMA entirely any time soon.

• 3 months later...
10x10 B25 carriers coming online in Middletown NJ. Also 3xCA in and around town. Speeds regularly over 80mb+ in and around town.
So PCS refarming has begun?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

Yes it's extremely annoying. So they are upping LTE capacity I take it.

Yup, it seems like it. The more spectrum they devote to LTE, the faster the speeds and the greater the capacity for VoLTE calls. I'm really curious to see how fast VoLTE adoption will be on Sprint. 

Yup, it seems like it. The more spectrum they devote to LTE, the faster the speeds and the greater the capacity for VoLTE calls. I'm really curious to see how fast VoLTE adoption will be on Sprint. 
I m also curious to see how Sprint will add new coverage here...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Went to Six Flags Great Adventure and during the drive from NYC I took a different route through a good chunk of rural Central Jersey. Because I was driving I didn't get the chance to do any speed tests but I did notice that I was on 5G for most of the trip. There were a few areas where I dropped to 1 bar of 5G and even 1-2 bars of LTE but I didn't notice any location where I left coverage completely. Additionally it seems that not every site on the NJ Turnpike has 5G just yet as there was one section where both going to Six Flags and coming back to NYC I dropped down to LTE while maintaining a strong signal.

At the actual amusement park there is one macro site that all carriers are collocated on and it was completely overloaded yesterday. I had 5G everywhere I went but it was virtually useless with speeds <1Mbps. I didn't see any T-Mobile n41 antennas but there were definitely Sprint n41 antennas on the site. In order to get any usable data, I had to use the Six Flags Guest WiFi. My Verizon line was also on 5G and was slow also super slow but not as slow as T-Mobile. 

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, Paynefanbro said:

At the actual amusement park there is one macro site that all carriers are collocated on and it was completely overloaded yesterday. I had 5G everywhere I went but it was virtually useless with speeds <1Mbps. I didn't see any T-Mobile n41 antennas but there were definitely Sprint n41 antennas on the site. In order to get any usable data, I had to use the Six Flags Guest WiFi. My Verizon line was also on 5G and was slow also super slow but not as slow as T-Mobile. 

Went to Six Flags again and it is a complete 180 compared to the last time I went. Both T-Mobile and Verizon did some serious upgrades to the on-site monopole.

On T-Mobile I got 100MHz n41 everywhere I went with consistent speeds of 350+ Mbps. I even broke 400Mbps in some places. You'd never guess it if you looked at the coverage maps because they haven't been updated to reflect the new coverage just yet.

On Verizon there is C-band available however it seems that they're shaping traffic so that most people at the park are on a high capacity LTE setup instead. Cycling airplane mode would throw me onto a strong C-band signal but in about 3 minutes the network would kick me down to LTE as if it's trying to balance the load on their 5G network. C-band speeds were decent at ~200 Mbps and LTE speeds were more than respectable peaking at ~140Mbps. I switched my phone to LTE on T-Mobile and speeds were about equal to Verizon, peaking at ~130Mbps with slightly lower upload speeds.

What a difference a year can make!

— — — — —

My fastest speeds on T-Mobile LTE and 5G:

EBZBy3e.pngxdlUEM3.png

— — — — —

My fastest speeds on Verizon's LTE and 5G network:

xbAdH19.png283TcqD.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1