Evo LTE serious problems or bull?

gangrene

So why start with limited downtilt? They gotta climb the tower and again and re aim the suckers?

No need for another site visit. At the bottom of the panels are an automated downtilt adjustment mechanism for the internal antennas that can adjust up to 10 degrees. So they are starting out 10 degrees higher than final design downtilt. When neighboring cells come online, they can remotely increase the downtilt down to design setting. Pretty cool.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

• Like 9

Speaking of legacy 1900 service is the new NV voice/3G/EV-DO stuff on a new carrier frequency than what's on the tower when they start NV? I thought I read somewhere they run both for a time till the NV equiptment is fully checked out and verified. If so do they then go back and add a carrier to replace the one they yank when they pull out the decommissioned gear?

Evo LTE owner from Charlotte who just got back from trip to Atlanta here. Found the same 4g problems with the phone. I think it picked up 4G on its own once during my entire trip. Pretty much every time i toggled airplane mode it did. Complete bs. I also stopped by a sprint store and found gs3s that had 4g and evos that didnt (after i turned off the wifi...nice way to hide the problem sprint). The employee just said the coverage isnt completely there yet. It was a non repair center so arguing would have been no use. Still i dont appreciate a blatant problem being overlooked. If this doesnt get fixed OTA you can bet ill be lined up the repair center in Charlotte at 4g market launch demanding a different phone. Just bs in general from Sprint on this.

My Evo 4G LTE definitely picks up a 4G signal better over the past week+, particularly noticeable south of Boston. Previously one would always have to toggle to switch from 3G to 4G down here.

Same here, I finally got back home to atlanta yesterday and so far my evo has been working perfectly when it comes to lte connectivity.

• Like 3

Same here. I use to barely get a lte signal in work and now I'm getting 12 down there. Outside of work I'm always over 20 down now. Lte in my area is outstanding now. Huge improvement in the past week.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

• Like 2

Oddly I've noticed more consistent 3g/4g handoff connectivity as well with my Evo. I was between a 4g and a 3g tower and my phone was on 4g then as I was driving switched to 3g (I'm assuming to the closer tower) then as I got closer to the 4g tower it switched back on its own and held the signal to about the same point that my wife's S3 would lose signal. I've never seen it do that before. It may depend on the mood the phone is in but I'm still hoping the forthcoming update will improve things since I do still have to do the toggle in other areas.

Been out all day hanging out and my evo has consistently been on 4g with absolutely no issues at all. The experience has been quite impressive so far. Now I am sure it has more to do with expanded coverage more than anything else but as of now, no more lte complaints from me.

• Like 2

I'm starting to wonder if the LTE available file was for the phone to remember where LTE service is so that it can connect better to the towers, and the thicker the coverage, the easier time it has connecting.

• Like 1

Anyone know of another phone that is or has 10X10 on it and not as problematic as the EVO LTE. I just wonder if they would put an option to search for only 5X5 LTE and an option to seach both 5X5 and 10X10. Not knowing exactly how a phone detects the difference this might be useless but...

I'm starting to wonder if the LTE available file was for the phone to remember where LTE service is so that it can connect better to the towers, and the thicker the coverage, the easier time it has connecting.

Said that several times before but even that implementation doesn't work right.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Said that several times before but even that implementation doesn't work right.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Bad programming. How does Verizon handle tower recognition on the phone side?

Sent from my LG-LS840 Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

It seems like it was at once, mostly the EVO's fault but now it is starting to seem more like a site density problem. Sure it has a problem connecting sometimes but other than that it seems like a lot of people's experience is getting better.

It seems like it was at once, mostly the EVO's fault but now it is starting to seem more like a site density problem. Sure it has a problem connecting sometimes but other than that it seems like a lot of people's experience is getting better.

All I know is that I been back in atlanta since tuesday and my evo has yet to drop to 3g no matter where I have gone so far.

• Like 1

Sounds like it will be the metro only phone.

Sent from my SPH-L900

The phone will only be good for usage in metro areas with saturated LTE coverage. Areas with extreme downtilt.

Sent from a little old Note 2

Oh. I see. That is sort of true. But its a good thing I live in NYC. A "tower" every 3 blocks.

Given the reports in this thread of a substantial improvement in the last week or so, it's possible that a network-side tweak has improved the handoff performance; it could be that Sprint was doing something slightly-out-of-spec network-side that could lead to "unspecified behavior" by handsets, which non-HTC handsets coped with fine but the Evo didn't. It's unlikely just lighting up a few more towers has made the difference people are observing.

• Like 1