Network Vision/LTE - Austin Market

t3lancer2007

I saw LTE go live in San Marcos for about a couple of seconds at around 6pm. It may have been by accident, but my phone definitely switched to 4G for a couple of seconds.

I'm using a Sprint Galaxy S3 LTE.

I didn't have time to do a speedtest, but seeing as I usually am around 50 kb/s on sprint's 3G, it was a nice breath of fresh air. I used to have a Galaxy Nexus LTE on Verizon and I surely miss the speeds (~20 Mb/s all day).

Edited by t3lancer2007

I saw LTE go live in San Marcos for about a couple of seconds at around 6pm. It may have been by accident, but my phone definitely switched to 4G for a couple of seconds.

Never heard of that city

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't have time to do a speedtest, but seeing as I usually am around 50 kb/s on sprint's 3G, it was a nice breath of fresh air. I used to have a Galaxy Nexus LTE on Verizon and I surely miss the speeds (~20 Mb/s all day).

Where exactly were you in San Marcos when you saw the 4G icon? Nearest cross streets. Thanks.

Robert

I was at the Tanger Outlet Mall. The nearest cross street was Center Point Rd. and I-35 Frontage Road.

Coords: 29.825637,-97.983976

There is a live site approximately 4 miles away at: 29.755618,-98.052279

Since it is a straight shot from where you were at to the tower, and the signal was so likely so weak (since it didn't stay long), this is likely the site you were connected to, just NE of New Braunfels.

Robert

San Marcos is minutes away from one of the greatest BBQ towns in America: Lockhart, Texas.

I'm getting weepy thinking about Black's BBQ where I had the best smoked beef ribs of my life.

Texas BBQ and LTE, a match made in heaven.

Never heard of that city

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

are you using some sort of net monitor app to capture and alert you that you were on an LTE network or were you looking at your phone / toggling airplane mode, etc to watch it happen? so far nothing in austin yet. I wish i had a tower list for southwest austin. i know of one at mopac and william cannon and it doesnt appear to have any new whiter antennas with 4g box radios near the sticks. also what's a good monitoring app to log LTE connectivity and alert you? I think i've tried them all but havent found one that i like.

are you using some sort of net monitor app to capture and alert you that you were on an LTE network or were you looking at your phone / toggling airplane mode, etc to watch it happen? so far nothing in austin yet. I wish i had a tower list for southwest austin. i know of one at mopac and william cannon and it doesnt appear to have any new whiter antennas with 4g box radios near the sticks. also what's a good monitoring app to log LTE connectivity and alert you? I think i've tried them all but havent found one that i like.

There is no need to do any toggling on your GS3 --assuming that you are running the latest firmware, LG8, and have selected "LTE / CDMA" under the Settings menu . (EVO LTE devices still have a problem and are awaitng an OTA fix.) If you ever pick up an LTE signal, the phone will just use it and the 4G icon will show up on the notifications bar. I know of no app that will automatically, hands-off, log LTE connections along with other data showing where the connection was coming from.

Don't worry, you haven't missed anything. No one has yet reported any live LTE in Austin itself. Waco is officially in the Austin market and is completely up and running, but that was deliberately done as a test sjte. The OP on this thread reported a single, brief sighting in San Marcos a few days ago, but there is no repeatable evidence.

As for your wish for a tower list in southwest Austin, just become an S4GRU sponsor and that will be available to you mapped precisely.

who knows their cell towers? i've noticed a ton of existing cell sites that have shiny white new antennas on them, i'm finding that the majority of AT&T sites have a bright steady green LED at the top, i guess to signal to the techs on the ground that the top is working correctly? anyways i found a sprint tower tonight in north austin. it appears they are still working on it, tools and equipment, bags, etc left outside (strange if you ask me) however one thing i did notice is there was also a green light at the top of the pole near the antennas cept this one was flashing. is there any way to tell a sprint tower from a verizon tower or at&t tower? t-mobile has their signs all over the front gate on theirs with a site number that starts with AU for austin.

who knows their cell towers? i've noticed a ton of existing cell sites that have shiny white new antennas on them, i'm finding that the majority of AT&T sites have a bright steady green LED at the top, i guess to signal to the techs on the ground that the top is working correctly? anyways i found a sprint tower tonight in north austin. it appears they are still working on it, tools and equipment, bags, etc left outside (strange if you ask me) however one thing i did notice is there was also a green light at the top of the pole near the antennas cept this one was flashing. is there any way to tell a sprint tower from a verizon tower or at&t tower? t-mobile has their signs all over the front gate on theirs with a site number that starts with AU for austin.

The easiest way to find all the Sprint towers is simply to become an S4GRU sponsor, which opens access to all the towers mapped precisely.

Definitely ready to see some improvement next month. Just took me 6 attempts to send a text message from my office by Lake Creek. According to the map it looks like there will be a ton of improvements around here though.. just gotta wait a little bit longer.

anyways i found a sprint tower tonight in north austin. it appears they are still working on it, tools and equipment, bags, etc left outside (strange if you ask me)

We have yet to find a site in the Austin market (outside of Waco) that has started Network Vision/LTE upgrades. Where is this tower located exactly? It would be great if your have indeed discovered the first NV site in the Austin metro area getting upgraded.

Robert

was out at the outlet mall today and was pulling 15mb down and around 11mb up right around lunch time while i was eating at cracker barrel :D

i was suprised when i looked at my phone and saw 4g lol

• Like 1

was out at the outlet mall today and was pulling 15mb down and around 11mb up right around lunch time while i was eating at cracker barrel :D

i was suprised when i looked at my phone and saw 4g lol

Which outlet mall? Where is it located?

Robert

Which outlet mall? Where is it located?

Robert

Tanger outlet malls in san marcos. also picked up a 4g signal in boerne texas this afternoon. right around the i10/46 interchange

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, every tower in Leander is getting upgraded. If you become a member you can follow the thread where we are tracking what towers have been upgraded so far.