Photon 2? (Atrix 3)

BenChase7

In my opinion, the Photon was Sprints version of the Atrix 2, only better cuz it has a nice kickstand! There are rumors of a Motorola Atirx 3, and the Specs are very nice... Quad core, 2GB RAM, HD screen, and a Great battery too! I've always hoped that Sprint would bring another nice Moto device or two on board when they launch LTE. It appears Moto may be the first to answer our requests with Nice batteries. I hope they get a "Photon 2" that is comparable to this. http://phandroid.com...-in-a-good-way/

• Like 1

The Photon was a pretty solid device, albeit blur'ified. If it sold reasonably well, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sprint order a follow up for sometime later this year.

At least the Photon will get ICS, although during the 2nd half of the year. It was/is a good phone for Sprint. I want Sprint and Moto to have a stronger relationship so we too can get phones like the Razr Maxx. Since Sprint is already on good terms with Google, I would hope the Googolrola merger would make things even better on the hardware side.

• Like 3

Love my Photon especially along with the lapdock 100. Would love to see a sequel to it come to Sprint. However, if OKC doesn't get LTE this year along with a New Moto LTE phone I will probably jump ship and grab a phone compatable with the lapdock on Verizon. RAZR MAXX is looking good right now.

• Like 1

I'd love to see a high end moto phone like the atrix 3 on Sprint to give some good choice.

While I like samsungs form factor. And am really waiting for news on the galaxy 3. Its hard to overlook the great radios that moto has in thier phones.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hope that Sprint and Motorola are working on a Photon 2 with LTE support and includes the Snapdragon S4 chip. I don't want to see the Tegra chip on the new Photon 2 phone since it doesn't have LTE support and the Tegra 3 chip IMO is outdated since it uses Cortex A9 processors and is 40 nm. The Tegra 4 apparently isn't due out until Q1 2013. Hopefully Sprint is not making this mistake because I am starting to not like the Tegra series and prefer the Snapdragon or OMAP chips.

I have a feeling that based on Sprint's naming convention of the HTC Evo LTE phone that the new Photon will be officially called "Motorola Photon 4G LTE" phone. I really do hope that Sprint adds the "4G LTE" icon to the backing of its phones and on the LCD display just like how Verizon does it.

There are several quad core processors on the horizon' date=' but who knows what moto has planned for the next offering on Sprint...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk[/quote']

If they come out with a new flagship Moto device with a battery akin to the RAZR MAXX with a Quad Core or a kickin dual core (like the MSM8960), then I would even consider moving to Moto for the first time. But they would have to beat the GSIII to market.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

• Like 2

If they come out with a new flagship Moto device with a battery akin to the RAZR MAXX with a Quad Core or a kickin dual core (like the MSM8960), then I would even consider moving to Moto for the first time. But they would have to beat the GSIII to market.

Played with my lil sis's Razr Maxx this weekend over the holiday and have to say I was left wanting more....could be my lean toward sense experience but the Motorola just felt lacking something imho....

That's besides the whole extreme lock down they put on their device too...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Moto would also have to upgrade thier screens a bit for me also. But a ICS Razr Maxx with a quad core/S4 processor and a SLCD2 screen would be pretty dang sweet. umm.. basically a EVO-LTE with a 3000 battery. LOL

• Like 1

Moto would also have to upgrade thier screens a bit for me also. But a ICS Razr Maxx with a quad core/S4 processor and a SLCD2 screen would be pretty dang sweet. umm.. basically a EVO-LTE with a 3000 battery. LOL

Agreed. Moto needs to upgrade their screens to at least Super LCD screen that HTC is running along with the choice of unlocked bootloaders. A 2500 - 3000 maH battery would be very welcomed but I prefer a removable battery.

I'm eagerly awaiting some sort of announcement from Motorola and/or Sprint on some sort of high end Motorola LTE device to be released on Sprint. I absolutely love my Photon. They'll have to work very hard to pry my Photon from my clenched cold hard dead hands.

Seriously, I'm waiting to see how LTE actually gets implemented and to see how Network Vision actually works in the real world. I'm in Oakland, CA and where I live I get very crappy 3g speeds. Usually I see only about 250kbps down and 200kbps up. 4g is terrible averaging at only about 500kbps down and sometimes only 50kbps up.

If the Network Vision doesn't improve things, it won't matter what Sprint and Motorola come up with. I may have to leave Sprint because I hate not having speeds that my friends on ATT, T-Mobile, and Verizon beat every time.

Seriously, I'm waiting to see how LTE actually gets implemented and to see how Network Vision actually works in the real world. I'm in Oakland, CA and where I live I get very crappy 3g speeds. Usually I see only about 250kbps down and 200kbps up. 4g is terrible averaging at only about 500kbps down and sometimes only 50kbps up.

If the Network Vision doesn't improve things, it won't matter what Sprint and Motorola come up with. I may have to leave Sprint because I hate not having speeds that my friends on ATT, T-Mobile, and Verizon beat every time.

I can understand the wait and see method. I just want to help set your mind at ease. Based on the testing data we have seen, I feel very good. Sprint's LTE will not be faster than Verizons. But it will be better than WiMax in speeds, and it will be much better than WiMax in coverage. No matter how you slice it, Network Vision results in across the board improvements for the Sprint network in every measurable category.

Whether that will be enough improvement for your needs, well you will have to decide that. However, count me as excited! :)

Robert

• Like 1

I'm eagerly awaiting some sort of announcement from Motorola and/or Sprint on some sort of high end Motorola LTE device to be released on Sprint. I absolutely love my Photon. They'll have to work very hard to pry my Photon from my clenched cold hard dead hands.

I hear most people are very happy with their Photons. I like my Evo 3D, but I am considering picking up a used Photon to play with for a little while. I'm curious how much better the RF performance is in my area. I know the development community is not as active for the Photon, but are there good roms out there for it?

I hear most people are very happy with their Photons. I like my Evo 3D, but I am considering picking up a used Photon to play with for a little while. I'm curious how much better the RF performance is in my area. I know the development community is not as active for the Photon, but are there good roms out there for it?

Try here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20331660&postcount=8 to access roms for the Photon.

I run the stock and I've never felt a need to monkey with it. I like it.

I pick up signal in places where others with other phones on Sprint can't. I'm happy with the RF performance around here. I just wish the network would match the awesomeness of my Photon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that NV rocks here when it's released.

From the Evo 4G to Evo 3D (tried to like it but couldn't) to Photon and I couldn't have been happier. The Photon is an outstanding phone and since everything out the box was top notch, I didn't feel the immediate need to tinker with it.

I applaud the devs community for everything they were able to accomplish with a phone that didn't have a lot of support.

I'd still have the Photon if my want of a new phone hadn't kicked in. I gave mine away to a family member who was still using their busted Hero so for her, it was truly a step up.

I've had my current phone for about a month but if Sprint gets the Note, this will become my backup phone.

Sent from my rooted WHITE E4GT via TapaTalk

I thought I mentioned this elsewhere but I guess i didn't, anyway, at the time the EVO 4G was the best Sprint phone hands down. So much so that even to this day, it holds quite well against others that came after it as well as being one of the top sellers for Sprint (iPhone aside). But as usual, at the time i traveled alot and needed a world phone. along came the Photon. Besides having the kickstand (which was the deal sealer for me) the phone is a world phone, better screen (I can almost dare to say it's almost Pixel Qi like out in the sun) and the radios were top notch. Never did I have a Motorola phone until then and I can honestly say that the brand makes very solid phones. The kicker was that the accessories were unique (lapdock) and although that part of the lineup is still in its infancy, the potential for Motorola and Google to make it better is there and I see them making a much better lapdock soon.

The only thing wrong with the Photon IMHO is that its a bit laggy when one has too many apps in it.

As for future Motorola products, well, I look forward to what they will bring knowing that it will be quite good. Just hope that the prices are kept reasonable as well as for its accessories. For now, I still have the Photon as a backup phone while I have the Note on AT&T. One thing is for certain, the next couple of months are going to be very interesting in terms of new devices coming down the pike for Sprint.

TS

I hope the Photon 2 will be based off of the Snapdragon S4 chip. It seems like Motorola is stepping away from the Tegra and OMAP series for now which I think is a good move. I would love to have HD voice in the Photon 2.

TI is taking too long with the OMAP 5 and should have released it already and they need to get into gear on that. Nvidia is taking too long with providing built in LTE support from the start. I really hope the Tegra 4 has built in LTE capability.

The Photon having a kickstand was great since the Evo 3D didn't. Add to that the fact it's an active kickstand and one couldn't ask for anything better. Who'd have thought a kickstand with a brain.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

For now, I still have the Photon as a backup phone while I have the Note on AT&T. One thing is for certain, the next couple of months are going to be very interesting in terms of new devices coming down the pike for Sprint.

TS

If/when Sprint gets the Note are you going to get it or stick with the AT&T Note?

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

If Sprint gets the Note or its replacement I will get it and drop AT&T like a hot potato. Although I don't see it happening before my 30 days trial period so I may end up having to pay the ETF but it will still be cheaper than staying with AT&T. I think with the unlimited plans and network vision (especially with NYC getting LTE) the Note will be awesome. I noticed that T-Mobile is getting a version soon. I Hopefully Sprint isn't far behind.

TS out

Sent from my Samsung-Galaxy Note using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Don't know why, but i can't stand how do moto razor and photon screen looks. Those pentile screen looks awful... and I hate that big bezel on the side of the screen. If they change that I could think about getting them. But now for me is Samsung or HTC.