Network Vision/LTE - Memphis Market

dmaxx67

That just means the Sprint.com coverage maps will include Memphis now. We've had some form of LTE since about September of last year. That leaked doc does indicate that Sprint considers 6-8Mbps down and 2-3Mbps up as good averages for speed. That's good to know. I get sad when my speed test doesn't go above 6Mbps. Then I get happy when I remember it used to be 300Kbps!

Anyone know who is laying the fiber? I hope this means i can get real high speed internet and dump my satellite internet. I miss comcast internet everyday. Without ot I cant start my new vpn project.

Telepak / C-Spire possibly

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/mar/14/desoto-schools-improving-internet-services/

....Just the other day I saw this site that isn't listed as "In Progress" with cables and pulley's hanging off of it. I don't have pics so I can't post about it in the Report In Progress thread. This site wasn't far from the trenching either. (Getwell and Goodman)...

Visited this site again. The pull wire and pulley were gone but nothing had changed from what I could tell.

• 1 month later...

Eligible for upgraded phones and contract ends in July. Either switching to ATT or getting Iphones on sprint. In Olive Branch. Anyone getting good 4G LTE speeds around here? I don't want two more years of sucky internet on my phone. 

Not really Brooksman.  The best I've seen is near the tower by the airport on Hacks Cross (15Mbps down 8Mbps) but the coverage is very small. IMO, Sprint needs to move to the much taller towers by the Hwy 78 weigh stations. The city's water tower is just too short and the massive amounts of trees kill the signal in all directions. Even with more bandwidth I think we are still going to be plagued by signal issues.  Things are much better in certain Memphis areas. I'm sticking around for this current contract period but ATT and Cspire are the best in the OB area. I base that on using friends phones in different areas around OB.

No problem. Their LTE isn't here yet but their 3G speeds are very impressive. I did confirm that the large amounts of fiber being buried from Southaven to OB and to Memphis was Telepak (C-Spire). I linked to an article about it in post #52.  The pathways do go to the Desoto County Schools and the C-Spire towers.

So I went by the Sprint store in OB yesterday and looked at an Iphone5. No LTE Service. Best I could get was about 1.2 mbs. Left there and went to ATT by Target (I think that is still OB) checked there Iphone5 and got over 20 mbs on LTE. Wifi turned off. Not looking good for renewal. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/13/06/b3681781/telepak-networks-to-offer-fiber-based-digital-broadband-services-under-

Check this out looks like Comcast and ATT have some competition coming to town. They are running the fiber lines down my road as we speak. Hopefully within the next 6 months to a year i can dump sat internet and get some real copper stuff.

Anyone notice no LTE along Shelby drive/Lamar area. AS soon as i got to Southaven LTE lit up and performance increased dramatically. In Memphis I could get only 3g and web page loading was horrific.

• 2 weeks later...

anybody in Memphis still around?

Yesterday I heard chirpping. I thought it was crickets in the Memphis thread. Now I hear none. Turned out it was Nextel devices. :lol:

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Funny Robert.

I'm still here, just really busy with work and life.  3G is and will continue to be horrible.  Sadly the closest tower to Shelby and Lamar has been in an LTE pending state for months and months and months. I haven't seen any work on the MLGW water tower. You're picking up the the LTE tower by the Adesa auto auction place and there is another real close to that by the distribution centers in Southaven off Stateline Rd. I got 20Mbps Up and Down from that tower in the middle of the night when I was very close to it.  Until more LTE towers light up the coverage is spotty at best and I haven't seen much of an improvement lately when I drive around.

I continue to be disappointed with the coverage and speed in the Wolfchase area that is covered very well and that's where the LTE deployments started.

Here's to patience!

BTW, that Fiber from Cspire will not be coming to our area anytime soon. Even if it did Comcast still has their packages blown out of the water when it comes to bandwidth.

Yea I talked to a CSpire rep for their broadband division and they said they were not ready to announce residential service yet. So i believe they are coming just don't know when.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. I rely on the Signal Check Pro app to alert me if my phone connects to LTE or 800Mhz.  I thought the signals seemed a little better after the Nextel equipment was shutdown but that's probably just my crazy imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

Striker i guess its just me and you for the Memphis Market. Has signal check alerted you to any 800 signals yet? Im almost wanting wanting 800 to become priority and LTE can hold off til 3rd quarter when they broadcast it on 800.

No chimes on my end.  I see that you're a S4GRU Sponsor so you should have access to the current deployment status for our area.  You'll see that there are no SMR 800 towers in our area. At least none that Sprint has signed off on. A lot more towers are getting the 3G Network Vision upgrades though which I think is helping. It looks like Sprint is trying get spread the coverage first and then come back and fill in the gaps.

Olive Branch is still plagued by having CenturyLink as the Local Exchange Carrier. I have another theory though.  There is major road widening construction on Hwy 305. Utilities and everything are having to be moved.  This is more than likely the path that increased backhaul will be using to get to the "main" tower. Any previous plans to get that tower LTE probably got put on hold.

Saw a truck sitting by the tower on Mount Moriah between Ridgeway and Kirby yesterday (it's one of the ones that's inside a high-voltage line tower along 385); hopefully they're putting it on the air.

• 1 month later...

Picking up 800 signals from Horn Lake area occasionally at my house around 5 miles away. Better signal from that tower than the tower about a mile away that is only red on the nv map. Stock PRL