Clearwire has their hands out again

pyroscott

Clearwire is once again asking for "substantial additional capital" to fund their business and build out their LTE-A network. With their movement out of the retail sale of their services, they are dependant on their wholesale customers, but the purchase of their WiMax wholesale has stagnated. They are unsure how much profit they will reap from WiMax over the next year and from their LTE network as they build it.

Sprint's usage of WiMax will surely drop with LTE phones on the near horizon and could depress usage for quite some time if they don't support LTE on 2500. This will lead to a lot of lost revenue for Clearwire. They should be snapping up all the LS2 wholesale customers, but they might wait and weigh their options as Clearwire has not been an extremely stable company.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/clearwire-raise-money-15707626

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/clearwire-says-it-may-need-to-raise-more-money-near-term-due-to-uncertainty-on-revenue/2012/02/17/gIQA5sbZJR_story.html

That's why I don't get the push out of TD-LTE until June 2013. They need to start generating revenue ASAP on their new LTE network to supplement their losses in the WiMax network that's just about to begin.

I remember last year Clearwire was bragging how fast and easy that it was going to be to add LTE to their network. They said in 3/4 of their markets, it was going to be as simple as going to the base station cabinet and installing a card. The older WiMax installs were going to be more difficult.

Now it is going to take until June 2013 for the first wave to be active? And on top of it all, they said they only needed $600M to get LTE over its entire footprint and $300M to fund operations during that period for a total of $900M. Well, since December, they have received more than $900M from Sprint and a new round of debt buying. If I sound a little critical of Clearwire, its because I am. This is rediculous!

S4GRU is now mobile...posted via Forum Runner

If I sound a little critical of Clearwire, its because I am. This is rediculous!

It is really bad, I'm staying to think they are hiring executives from rim.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

It is really bad' date=' I'm staying to think they are hiring executives from rim.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk[/quote']

:lol:

That's why I don't get the push out of TD-LTE until June 2013. They need to start generating revenue ASAP on their new LTE network to supplement their losses in the WiMax network that's just about to begin.

I remember last year Clearwire was bragging how fast and easy that it was going to be to add LTE to their network. They said in 3/4 of their markets, it was going to be as simple as going to the base station cabinet and installing a card. The older WiMax installs were going to be more difficult.

Just think of how many LS2 potential customers would make the jump to Clearwire if they just fired up the LTE in those 75% of markets that just need a card swap...

Maybe the card isn't manufactured yet, or isn't at their desired price point.

Just think of how many LS2 potential customers would make the jump to Clearwire if they just fired up the LTE in those 75% of markets that just need a card swap...

Maybe the card isn't manufactured yet' date=' or isn't at their desired price point.[/quote']

Maybe. But they said the other day they are beginning deployment next quarter. So are they walking from tower to tower with one guy and a Sherpa carrying all the cards??? Seems like a long time to do 5,000 sites that supposedly only need cards.

Maybe. But they said the other day they are beginning deployment next quarter. So are they walking from tower to tower with one guy and a Sherpa carrying all the cards??? Seems like a long time to do 5,000 sites that supposedly only need cards.

Maybe they are looking for a Government bailout? Or China Mobile is installing the cards and they are flying back and forth from China with each card.

• Like 1

/begin sarcasm/

Look they didn't give me a car so I'm hitch hiking from tower to tower here carrying all these cards installing one by one. If they just gave me a car I could get this done quicker.../end sarcasm/

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Clearwire is once again asking for "substantial additional capital" to fund their business and build out their LTE-A network. With their movement out of the retail sale of their services, they are dependant on their wholesale customers, but the purchase of their WiMax wholesale has stagnated. They are unsure how much profit they will reap from WiMax over the next year and from their LTE network as they build it.

Sprint's usage of WiMax will surely drop with LTE phones on the near horizon and could depress usage for quite some time if they don't support LTE on 2500. This will lead to a lot of lost revenue for Clearwire. They should be snapping up all the LS2 wholesale customers, but they might wait and weigh their options as Clearwire has not been an extremely stable company.

http://abcnews.go.co...-money-15707626

http://www.washingto...bZJR_story.html

If their rollout of LTE is really LTE Advanced, then that really could be the delay. Or they set a date far enough into the future hoping to turn on the LTE network sooner than that. However, not so much as a rumor of any device being built for Clear's LTE network has surfaced yet, so it might be a chipset delay. I hope they hurry up and turn on LTE soon too. Let's just hope they keep up their own prepaid service so that we can still have access to unlimited data.

Now it is going to take until June 2013 for the first wave to be active? And on top of it all, they said they only needed $600M to get LTE over its entire footprint and $300M to fund operations during that period for a total of $900M. Well, since December, they have received more than $900M from Sprint and a new round of debt buying. If I sound a little critical of Clearwire, its because I am. This is rediculous!

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a issue with the TDD/FDD hand off testing or if Clear is taking an under promise over achieve stance or as macinjosh said; Is it an LTE Advanced issue? I read that DISH is telling the FCC that LTE-A equipment isn't ready yet. The iPhone and the slow down of WiMax device sales is definitely starting to hurt Clear, and Sprint will be on the hook for another cash infusion.

They might be able to get the network up and running pretty quickly, but how long is it going to take to get silicon into devices that actually support Sprint's CDMA & LTE networks (800 & 1900), as well as Clear's LTE platform? The design on those types of devices has barely started (if even), which would put their release into Q4'12 or Q1'13 at the earliest. Also, isn't some of this dependent on Sprint getting their new NV towers up and running?

It's easy to swap the cards and have a network, but you still need devices that can run on that network. Given a choice, I would rather Sprint and Clear take a bit of extra time to get it right, than rush a clunker flagship device to market and piss off the customers they've been trying so hard to win back.

They might be able to get the network up and running pretty quickly, but how long is it going to take to get silicon into devices that actually support Sprint's CDMA & LTE networks (800 & 1900), as well as Clear's LTE platform? The design on those types of devices has barely started (if even), which would put their release into Q4'12 or Q1'13 at the earliest. Also, isn't some of this dependent on Sprint getting their new NV towers up and running?

It's easy to swap the cards and have a network, but you still need devices that can run on that network. Given a choice, I would rather Sprint and Clear take a bit of extra time to get it right, than rush a clunker flagship device to market and piss off the customers they've been trying so hard to win back.

all S4 based devices have the LTE modem built directly on the die of the chip so its not a matter of design from a chip/modem aspect. Its more just them being provisioned to work on those freq.

The EVO3D was designed to work on the 800MHz freq for CDMA when that rolls out and that phone was released a good year at least before that would be even an option.

Sprint seemed to think this out fairly well about provisioning some phones for the 800 MHz switch, Or was it an accident? If not, I hope Sprint shows the same forethought when it brings out the 1st gen LTE phones. Having at least 800/1900MHz on it would be sweet. Having Clears 2.5 would even be better.

Sprint seemed to think this out fairly well about provisioning some phones for the 800 MHz switch, Or was it an accident? If not, I hope Sprint shows the same forethought when it brings out the 1st gen LTE phones. Having at least 800/1900MHz on it would be sweet. Having Clears 2.5 would even be better.

I guess we will see when they release the 1st 3 LTE devices then. For now, the anticipation, lol.

If clear is going to have lte by next yr in spots I'd imagine Wed likely see the 2.5 provisioned before the 800 if they left one out just bc the 800 won't be used for longer period time for LTE...

I'm thinking it is looking like 800 FD-LTE and 2500 TD-LTE are going to be coming on line right around the same time.

I'm thinking it is looking like 800 FD-LTE and 2500 TD-LTE are going to be coming on line right around the same time.

Not if clear is making LTE live next June... That'll be way before they can do lte on 800MHz as I thought Nextel subs had till 2015 or so to migrate to the new ptt phones??

Not if clear is making LTE live next June... That'll be way before they can do lte on 800MHz as I thought Nextel subs had till 2015 or so to migrate to the new ptt phones??

Sprint stated that iDEN will be shut down before the end of next year, not 2015. They are already working on reducing the number of Nextel towers available in the U.S.

Sprint stated that iDEN will be shut down before the end of next year, not 2015. They are already working on reducing the number of Nextel towers available in the U.S.

Yeah...sorry too many dates for all different completions LOL...think.its that they plan to be done with iDen by sometime in 2013.

I was wrong obv. Lol

Still say they will make big mistake to not have phones provisioned for all 3 freq. I can see the first 3 they have announced not having all 3 maybe but ones after that should have them all. Least based on their previous well planned efforts to have phones approved for 800MHz spectrum over a yr before even possible to be used...

iDEN Decommissioning appears to be acclerating. I think they will begin in full force by the end of the year. I'm thinking they will be largely complete by Summer 2013 and bringing online 800MHz LTE right about the time Clearwire is bringing online their TD-LTE network.

Its all about device support at this time.

All the nextel towers in my area have a april 2012 date on them. But it doesn't say what the date represents. Just says check back later closer to that date for more information.

Outside of the New Orleans/Baton Rouge market, all of the iDEN towers being decommissioned in the first round are still being evaluated.

• 1 year later...

The Evo Shift was also provisioned for 800MHz CDMA too and it was released January of last year, well before the release of the EVO 3D

Wasn't that 800Mhz is for roaming on Verizon?