Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE

MacinJosh

So during last weeks saga with the iPhone 5, Sprint announced that on today they would be releasing the Galaxy Victory. It's a mid-range LTE device sporting a Snapdragon S4 lite MSM8960 running Dual Cores @ 1.2GHz each. It has a 2100mAh battery with expected call time of 7 hours and standby of 9 days. This little phone sports a 480 x 800 4" screen and weighs 4.9 ounces. The phone has 1GB RAM and 4GB of built-in Storage with expandability of up to a 32GB microSDHC card.

In addition, it has a 5 MP rear cam, and a 1.3 MP front cam. No specs for video recording are available from Sprint or Samsung.

This phone comes with ICS 4.0.4 out of the box. The Galaxy Victory has CDMA 800 & 1900 compatibility as well as LTE 1900MHz.

Edit: According to what I saw on phonescoop.com, the rear camera supports 720P HD Video recording.

Also, I forgot to mention: Bluetooth 4.0 and WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n support, as well as a dedicated camera shutter button on the right side of the phone and the power button on top.

Samsung-Galaxy-Victory-4G-LTE-0.jpg

(Photo Courtesy of Phonearena.com)

Don't you buy that phone Josh... Stick to the flagships. LOL

Seriously though, this sounds like a quite powerful, very nice midrange phone.

I'm not buying it, but they may trade out my Viper for it. Guess I need to stand my ground so I can hope to get a flagship, lol.

• Like 1

I'm not buying it, but they may trade out my Viper for it. Guess I need to stand my ground so I can hope to get a flagship, lol.

If you could finagle a swap of Viper for a Victory, it would be a victory. I don't imagine there would be a ton of developer support, but more than the Viper will see. Just one question... what if it doesn't support SVDO? You would probably come back here and fill 3 pages of frowny faces.

P.S. Why did you post a picture of the iPhone? HAHAHA

If you could finagle a swap of Viper for a Victory' date=' it would be a victory. I don't imagine there would be a ton of developer support, but more than the Viper will see. Just one question... what if it doesn't support SVDO? You would probably come back here and fill 3 pages of frowny faces.

P.S. Why did you post a picture of the iPhone? HAHAHA[/quote']

The Victory supports both SVDO and SVLTE.

Guess I need to actually write that OET article, huh?

Sent from my Galaxy SIII-32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 4

The Victory supports both SVDO and SVLTE.

Guess I need to actually write that OET article, huh?

Sent from my Galaxy SIII-32GB using Forum Runner

How about CDMA800SMR? I found some site saying it only supported band class 0 in the 800 MHz range.

http://pdadb.net/ind...te_samsung_gogh

It also has a pile of GSM bands listed, so it could be another international phone, or that site could be all kinds of wrong...

How about CDMA800SMR? I found some site saying it only supported band class 0 in the 800 MHz range.

http://pdadb.net/ind...te_samsung_gogh

It also has a pile of GSM bands listed, so it could be another international phone, or that site could be all kinds of wrong...

The phone may have GSM/WCDMA capabilities, however I didn't see them mentioned in the Sprint FCC certification. I'll look again prior to writing the article tomorrow.

As for BC10, that's an open-and-shut case of shoddy reporting. There's an entire certification document set specifically for that band (look up the phone on PhoneScoop, then go from there to the FCC by clicking on its FCC ID). Including, of course, a doc including ERP etc. at SMR on CDMA.

EDIT: Oh, and the phone definitely supports EvDO Rev. A. Shoddy reporting it is. Too bad...I used to use pdadb on a regular basis for Handsrping and Palm PDAs (like my old TX, IIIx, Visor Pro or VII, most of which I got used).

Edited by iansltx

The phone may have GSM/WCDMA capabilities' date=' however I didn't see them mentioned in the Sprint FCC certification. I'll look again prior to writing the article tomorrow.

As for BC10, that's an open-and-shut case of shoddy reporting. There's an entire certification document set specifically for that band (look up the phone on PhoneScoop, then go from there to the FCC by clicking on its FCC ID). Including, of course, a doc including ERP etc. at SMR on CDMA.

EDIT: Oh, and the phone definitely supports EvDO Rev. A. Shoddy reporting it is. Too bad...I used to use pdadb on a regular basis for Handsrping and Palm PDAs (like my old TX, IIIx, Visor Pro or VII, most of which I got used).[/quote']

I was looking all over for a link to the FCC docs. I'll just have to use phonescoop exclusively for that kind of thing. They seem to be all over it.

Hope it has better radios than the galaxy nexus.

I'm the radios are better than the Nexus, but we won't know for sure until someone compares the radios side by side. Actually, I want to see a radio comparison side by side between this phone, the GS3, and the GNex, plus a side by side between this one and the LG Viper.

When I was checking the 1x Engineering screen, it said the 1x rx pwr was showing -13dBm. My rx pwr was showing -86dBm and both phones were attached to the same tower.

Also, TouchWiz on the Galaxy Victory is very snappy for a lite S4 processor. Almost responds as fast as the Galaxy S3, if I have room to go that far. I'll perform some more tests when I go to Fresno next time.

I will be trying to get the Fresno Sprint store that I got my replacement Viper at to swap for a Victory. It even feels better made for a simple smartphone.

When I was checking the 1x Engineering screen, it said the 1x rx pwr was showing -13dBm. My rx pwr was showing -86dBm and both phones were attached to the same tower.

On the Galaxy Victory, you needed to look at the RSSI, not the RX Pwr. For instance, on my GS3, my RSSI right now is -75, but my Rx Pwr is -14.

Robert

On the Galaxy Victory, you needed to look at the RSSI, not the RX Pwr. For instance, on my GS3, my RSSI right now is -75, but my Rx Pwr is -14.

Robert

If I had only known, lol. Talk about confusing changes. Then I had a phone call come in so I didn't have time to play with it more.

FWIW the phone is $49.99 on-contract at AmazonWireless. $400 off-contract at Sprint. This would actually be an excellent phone for Ting to pick up...and according to what they tweeted me earlier, they're working on it...

• Like 1

thanks for the great info in this thread. I am also looking forward to hearing how the radio performs.

Does anyone know if the screen has gorilla glass?

I can't find any references online to whether it has gorilla glass or not.

I will see what I can do about getting one soon to test out the radios and see how well it does compared to the LG Viper. Hopefully someone else will have a chance to compare it to the GS3, it's bigger, better cousin.

It also has many of the Samsung software features found in the Samsung Galaxy S III such as:

• S Voice – voice activated action than can be used to turn the volume up or down on the music player, answer or reject incoming calls, shut off or choose to snooze the alarm clock or take a picture by saying “smile” or “cheese.”
  • S Beam – NFC sharing of photos, videos, documents and other DRM-free content to Android Beam. This allows a 1GB file to be shared within minutes and a 10MB file within seconds by simply touching another S Beam enabled phone.
  • AllShare Play allows users to wirelessly connect Galaxy Victory to their PC, tablet or television to immediately share files, stream music, user-generated videos, photos and other DRM-free content to AllShare-enabled devices using Wi-Fi. It also allows the user to remotely access files on up to six Samsung devices.
  • AllShare Group Cast lets the user share a presentation or photo album in real time with multiple friends on the same Wi-Fi network.

http://wirelessandmo...lease-date.html

• 3 weeks later...

I will say that the Victory doggedly holds onto even the weakest LTE signal, seems like. I was hitting 1-2 Mbps down, 100 kbps up in the Sprint store near 360 and 183 in Austin today...on 4G...when my SIII would not connect. The RSRP on the Victory was -119 (!), with a SNR of around zero.

I didn't check the store's iPhone 5 to compare, and it could be that I need to update to the latest JB build to get proper LTE on my SIII again, but that was impressive to see on the Victory, even if speeds were low.

• Like 2

I will say that the Victory doggedly holds onto even the weakest LTE signal, seems like. I was hitting 1-2 Mbps down, 100 kbps up in the Sprint store near 360 and 183 in Austin today...on 4G...when my SIII would not connect. The RSRP on the Victory was -119 (!), with a SNR of around zero.

I didn't check the store's iPhone 5 to compare, and it could be that I need to update to the latest JB build to get proper LTE on my SIII again, but that was impressive to see on the Victory, even if speeds were low.

I just want to make sure you were on cdma/lte setting, not just lte correct?

• 1 month later...