Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Sprint may not hold enough BRS/EBS spectrum in Madison to run 2x CA.  TDS, the parent company of USCC, holds some legacy BRS spectrum that Sprint cannot use within a 35 mile radius of Madison.  So, that limits Sprint to two separate swaths of contiguous BRS spectrum, one 12 MHz, the other 28 MHz.  Only the 28 MHz chunk can support a single 20 MHz TDD carrier.  Any other 20 MHz TDD carriers would have to be deployed in EBS spectrum, which presently may be occupied by WiMAX.  Sprint also may have limited EBS spectrum -- I am uncertain about those holdings in Madison.

http://fisci.tech/blog/the-sprint-spectrum/

AJ

happy my town of janesville is outside that circle, and has 2x CA.  as always thanks for the info AJ

Sprint may not hold enough BRS/EBS spectrum in Madison to run 2x CA. TDS, the parent company of USCC, holds some legacy BRS spectrum that Sprint cannot use within a 35 mile radius of Madison. So, that limits Sprint to two separate swaths of contiguous BRS spectrum, one 12 MHz, the other 28 MHz. Only the 28 MHz chunk can support a single 20 MHz TDD carrier. Any other 20 MHz TDD carriers would have to be deployed in EBS spectrum, which presently may be occupied by WiMAX. Sprint also may have limited EBS spectrum -- I am uncertain about those holdings in Madison.

http://fisci.tech/blog/the-sprint-spectrum/

AJ

Intraband non contiguous 20+10 CA can be used though the eNB Will need to be updated to as non contiguous CA is release 12 and contiguous CA is release 11. Don't think sprint is yet ready for release 12 CA yet.
  • Like 1

Intraband non contiguous 20+10 CA can be used though the eNB Will need to be updated to as non contiguous CA is release 12 and contiguous CA is release 11. Don't think sprint is yet ready for release 12 CA yet.

The 28 MHz chunk theoretically could handle intraband contiguous 2x CA at 20+10 MHz TDD.  That would be 27.5 MHz occupied spectrum.

AJ

Perhaps my pick up of the second carrier off my tower 2 months ago was just a fluke or testing then. That's a shame.

Band 41 second carrier and 2x CA are not necessarily one and the same.

AJ

• 1 month later...

I know there is a Stingray thread, but this is particular to Milwaukee.  Plus no one ever posts here anymore and might like to see a notification ding in their inbox! 

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160229/07245533756/milwaukee-pd-hid-stingray-usage-judges-defendants-now-congress-members-want-answers-fbi.shtml

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Sales reps......  any details if the buy one get one on the G5 during the "#thanksforyourbusiness"  promotion requires a new line?

All the BOGO deals require one new line. 

• Like 1

I swear they had individual stores make up some of these flyers that I'm seeing. Just one example.   https://twitter.com/sprintstore229/status/735608998615875585

You can call the store to ask.  I very much doubt they will just hand you a free phone.  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

https://www.sprint.com/shop/?ECID=SEM:Google:p:2016_Q1_OEM:OEM_LG_G5_Brand_BMM:Basic:lg_g_5_sprint:Broad/&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4J-6BRD3h_KIoqijwvkBEiQAfcPiBRKPPjgc76camQoWi7KSr1zyHEpdmNk2mj-DtmYU12gaAr2m8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds#!/device/lg-g5-silver?skuId=104000208&duration=24&contractType=easyPay&lineId=9455127520

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/milwaukee-wi/2016/1H

T-Mobile, despite their limited spectrum, now has surpassed Sprint in Milwaukee in speeds :(

I was there last weekend. I was able to pull 96 down and 15 up close to mason and jefferson intersection on Saturday.  I have never had any issues with data in Milwaukee, or the West suburbs (wauwau, waukesha, pewaukee, brookfield, etc...) 

Tmo is limited with spectrum and will continue to be limited with spectrum even after the 600mhz spectrum auction.  Sprint is already reliable and data is more than usable. They just need to get small cells installed and have 3xCA to beat out all the carriers. Tmo will not be able to touch Sprint in a year or so.  What Tmo will have to do is continue to give away stuff to attract customers. 

Edited by Hmight

Come to my house. Full orange on the map. 2 down and .5 up. Welcome to 2006.

Dude, no cell carrier is perfect in every single spot within its coverage area. some houses and spaces are just bad for reception based on where the cell tower is located. It's not possible to show the coverage map 100% accurate down to the square foot.

I tried out T-Mobile a few months ago and found them to be very poor speed wise both downtown (by Schlitz Brewery) and in the inner city (along Capital and also Lisbon Ave). I usually couldn't muster anything over 3-5 Mbps. There not too terrible in the suberbs though around Mayfair Mall.

I tried out T-Mobile a few months ago and found them to be very poor speed wise both downtown (by Schlitz Brewery) and in the inner city (along Capital and also Lisbon Ave). I usually couldn't muster anything over 3-5 Mbps. There not too terrible in the suberbs though around Mayfair Mall.

I tried out T-Mobile as well earlier this year. I was actually impressed with the speeds around Greenfield, like Hwy100 and Layton, but their in-building coverage was not great. In Waukesha at my work, I had to hold my phone up in the air to send a text message. Also, T-Mobile's coverage was horrible in Muskego, it dropped to edge almost the entire time driving through or hanging out there. 

I'm frustrated that the coverage map now shows Madison has LTE Plus when we in fact don't. There's no Sprint Zone report option for "you're lying about an entire city" :(