Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Awww..  Thanks to whoever the mod was that deleted that "theTRUTH" guy's post, but I would've loved to had been able to post a response!  I had started my reply on my phone and realized how much easier it would be to grab my laptop to put forth a great counter-argument. 

Oh well...  His post was certainly filled with misinformation.  I have had literally none of the "issues" he claimed exist.  (with the exception of today from a rare hour long outage.  The first one I have experienced with Sprint since joining)

I removed the post. 

No, I'm not employed by Sprint. That said, we have known of vendor incompatibility issues in certain regions, and almost all such issues either have been resolved, or are in the process of being resolved. These are issues that dealt with the transition from legacy to Network Vision equipment. As most of the new equipment is active and eCSFB slowly makes it way through the Sprint system, the issues mentioned will work themselves out. Most of the clueless people that didn't know how to fix the problems are either gone or headed out the door. 

That said, I'm glad that other members in the region are chiming in and saying that things are better. This used to be one of the worst complaint threads on S4GRU. Now, it's relatively peaceful. 

• Like 2

The biggest reason why it was deleted is it was spam. We don't accept Verizon advertisements without payment for services. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

Yea, for the most part, I'm pretty happy with the improvements. I generally have LTE most places I go and there are still some towers around the Milwaukee area that haven't received LTE upgrades yet. The B26 LTE really helped alot. But I never have text message issues or voice issues. Data is generally good too, keeping in mind some towers aren't broadcasting LTE at all yet, and a bunch more are still only broadcasting 1900Mhz. So once all are LTE accepted and broadcasting 800Mhz LTE, I'll be golden.

• Like 1

Well I'm kinda loving nv my mom's house was a dead zone dropped calls no data. Barely could txt. Now I have lte there with b26. Only at about 3 mbs but from unusable evdo even outside her house to lte inside is a blessing. Even in the inner part of the house you can get usable 3g and 1x 800 cleared up the dropped calls. I understand hers is probably best case scenario but it really is awesome wat nv does in some instances. :)

More VZW bashing... yesterday when Sprint was down, my VZW phone was roaming 1X on USCC... ;)

Anyways... I too haven't had any major issues with Sprint.  Calls and texts come in, data works fine now that NV is maturing and B26 is getting turned on.  I see B41 components getting deployed around here, so speed will get even better.

Yea, for the most part, I'm pretty happy with the improvements. I generally have LTE most places I go and there are still some towers around the Milwaukee area that haven't received LTE upgrades yet. The B26 LTE really helped alot. But I never have text message issues or voice issues. Data is generally good too, keeping in mind some towers aren't broadcasting LTE at all yet, and a bunch more are still only broadcasting 1900Mhz. So once all are LTE accepted and broadcasting 800Mhz LTE, I'll be golden.

I think my experience has been a bit worse than yours. I fully understand that our market is no where near complete, but i still believe my phone is on 3G too much. Overall, i would say i am disappointed in the lack of progress in our market. When i do have LTE it always seems to be 1-2 bars and I am still having to toggle airplane mode to get on 4G sometimes. Hopefully it will ramp up again soon and get better.

Now, i am currently writing this from Tampa, FL. I can tell you that if Sprint can get the Milwaukee market to the quality of the Tampa market, we will be in HEAVEN! I can not believe how plentiful B41 LTE is here in Tampa. I am NEVER on a 3G signal, its either B41 or B26 LTE, and it is spectacular!

Edited by Jswets

How is the Iphone 5S doing around town?   My friend is thinking about jumping from AT&T.  I ask this because my friends with a 5S a few months ago was not able to pick up 4G with their 5S while I was picking up 4G with my LG G2. 

• 2 weeks later...

How is the Iphone 5S doing around town?   My friend is thinking about jumping from AT&T.  I ask this because my friends with a 5S a few months ago was not able to pick up 4G with their 5S while I was picking up 4G with my LG G2. 

I have a 5S and I am never on 3g except for a few areas where the towers aren't complete. I have LTE everywhere else and pull 20+ megs down and 8+ up. I have never had no service (even in basements that I never thought there would be any chance of service I had service).

EDIT: Added the quote.

Edited by apphysics
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

First let me say that I appreciate that I always get LTE at my house now.  The signal at my house has always been not so great.  When I look at the tower map it seems like I am on the outer perimeter of three towers.  I live inside the city midway between the airport and downtown.  I am usually on Band 26 though.  I'm not in a low spot and I'm even on the second floor.  I am glad that Band 26 is filling in the holes, but when I check my phone while walking, I'm noticing A LOT of holes.  I don't see myself having those dream speeds off of band 41.  I realize I'm not high on the list here because even though I have not so good reception on B26 I still have LTE.  If I am correct they are going to broadcast B41 from more locations than there are towers.  Are there ways to suggest antenna placements I just feel because where I am I should be doing better. 

First let me say that I appreciate that I always get LTE at my house now.  The signal at my house has always been not so great.  When I look at the tower map it seems like I am on the outer perimeter of three towers.  I live inside the city midway between the airport and downtown.  I am usually on Band 26 though.  I'm not in a low spot and I'm even on the second floor.  I am glad that Band 26 is filling in the holes, but when I check my phone while walking, I'm noticing A LOT of holes.  I don't see myself having those dream speeds off of band 41.  I realize I'm not high on the list here because even though I have not so good reception on B26 I still have LTE.  If I am correct they are going to broadcast B41 from more locations than there are towers.  Are there ways to suggest antenna placements I just feel because where I am I should be doing better. 

Based on your description of where you are at in between 3 sites that have already been upgraded with B26, you likely are not going to see any improvement for years.  Unless your sites have not been optimized.  Every LTE network is going to have fringes.  And you may have found that your house is in one of them.

If you need LTE around your house and Sprint B26 is not cutting it for you, you may need to get another provider.  Sprint will not be everyone's best provider, unfortunately.  You'll have to go through an exercise of pros and cons about what's important for you in an LTE provider and see what it going to be best for you.

Band 41 will not bring you relief if you are just now barely getting a Band 26 signal.  In the Milwaukee area, B41 will first be added to existing B25/26 sites.  They will not be adding infill sites for a few years.  And even then, it will likely not be providing signal beyond existing B26 coverage except in a few isolated exceptions.

Robert

Just looking at the maps for Milwaukee, you can see that 800MHz isn't going to save the coverage. There are huge, huge holes in areas without towers that aren't so porous in other cities (ie, St. Louis since I'm familiar there). And many tall, dense, old buildings in Milwaukee too. However, the grass isn't always greener with other carriers either unfortunately,especially in Milwaukee. I've heard complaints from friends that have them all (except USCC). Gotta pick the one that works the best where you live, work, and play for 93.5% of your time and up here that particularly isn't Sprint. Madison's Sprint coverage is pretty solid now, but we're quite small compared to Milwaukee's area obviously.

whoops, premature send.....

I will say though, anecdotally as I don't have any real hard measurements, that the towers here in Madison (in areas where there was no LTE coverage despite all towers around them having B25/B26 already) did get tuned, turned up, or optimized of some sort after about 3-4 months of being on.  So perhaps there's still a chance for your area.

As far as suggesting tower locations, just call in and report areas (cross streets) to the Sprintcare.  I just keep peppering them with locations so they can send out "network teams".  Whether they do that or not, it makes me feel like I'm helping.

• Like 3

I think emailing sprint care does help. I had messaged them several years ago about no service along the I-68 corridor and it was fixed not too long afterwards. I got a nice thank you message from the care team too.

• Like 1

For what I do and pay, I don't need more.  I'm just concerned that B26 in Milwaukee is going to be more filled up when everyone has a Spark device and speeds will suffer.   

I don't think any of the optimization has even started yet. I never hold on to a B26 connection for more then a few minutes. There are still alot of holes with no LTE at all in the SE Wisconsin area compared to the competition. I think tower location is a pretty big issue for Sprint in this area. 

Also wanted to note my experience at State Fair this year. It is a little better this year, can actually use voice service, but texting, data, picture messaging was unusable. I was sitting most of the time with just a regular voice signal. I did pick up LTE on the south side of the grounds, but it was not usable. This is to be expected from such a large event, just wanted to share my experience. 

Edited by Jswets

Also wanted to note my experience at State Fair this year. It is a little better this year, can actually use voice service, but texting, data, picture messaging was unusable. I was sitting most of the time with just a regular voice signal. I did pick up LTE on the south side of the grounds, but it was not usable. This is to be expected from such a large event, just wanted to share my experience. 

It will be in this situation that B41 will stomp the competition, eventually.  Outdoor venue with enough bandwidth for all to play. 

Two of the towers nearest the fair grounds have not been updated fully yet with B25 and/or B26, so its still going to suck with so many people going through the same channel.  

I realize that part of it might take be backend bandwidth but you'd think Sprint would really try to prioritize those sites for a large event. Or even bring in a temp tower?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

FWIW, I was down at Lollapalooza over the weekend, Sprint service was pretty good most of the time. Texts went through quickly for the most part, data was usable. I was on B25 most of the time, but got on 26 and 41 occasionally. Heard more complaints from my friends with other carriers than issues I had with sprint during the weekend. Not sure if they brought in temporary towers for the event or not... But I'm thinking it'll still get better with time up here.

• Like 1

Has Sprint ever used temp sites for events in WI?  Even Iowa St. Fair has a Sprint temp site...  we can beat Iowa! :)

Not that I'm aware of. You'd think summerfest would be like the biggest event around here, or State Fair, but I do not believe they did anything.