Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

800 LTE should get the levels closer to that of 1xRTT.  To compare, my Verizon phone's LTE and 1xRTT levels are within 5-6 dBm of each other.  That's running on 750 LTE and 1900 1xRTT I believe.

I've had usable LTE up to -120 on my Sprint S3... not the fastest, but more usable than the legacy network.  At the end of the first post in this thread there's a scale for LTE levels: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Right, good point about 800LTE and nice comparison to the VZW at 750.  I was speaking of 1900LTE since that's all we have at this point.  I think 800LTE's indoors signal will be interesting to see once they start flipping it on. I'm certain that it won't be as robust as 800SMR, but perhaps closer to the 1900RTT/3G/eHRPD like you said. If that's the case, there won't be many places (in Madison at least) where one couldn't get an LTE signal (800LTE), which is obviously the point of NV to put them on par with the big 2.  Once that happens, I'll get a triband phone for sure.

Milliewakay is getting all the acceptance love!  I just want these last few Madison towers to go live....

I think you had enough fun for a couple of months..  you can sit back now.  LOL.

I think most/all of the Milwaukee updates are 3G outside the city or 800 adding to sites marked complete before.

I think Burlington 4G is new.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more of the 3G complete sites > 4G that have been around for months south of I-94-IL state line between the lake/I-90.

• Like 1

Anyone having problems in the Milwaukee area getting we are unable to complete your call at this time messages? I just tried calling 4 times in a row and ended up force Roam to US Cell to make the call. This has happened a few times over the last couple of weeks.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Anyone having problems in the Milwaukee area getting we are unable to complete your call at this time messages? I just tried calling 4 times in a row and ended up force Roam to US Cell to make the call. This has happened a few times over the last couple of weeks.

Been a common issue the last few weeks. Only thing is to keep trying. I get it in racine from time to time too.

Considering the amount of acceptances we are seeing it doesn't surprise me. I would actually consider that to be a good thing because of all the progress being made. Slightly frustrating I'm sure, but IT'S COMING!!!!

Just out of curiosity, when I look at the acceptance report from the weekend and see 33 accepted with 3 LTE and 17 CDMA800, that means the remaining 13 are 1x800, right? And the CDMA800 are 800 MHz 3g? I know the LTE would be specified 800, so the ones for now are just in the PCS band.

Just out of curiosity, when I look at the acceptance report from the weekend and see 33 accepted with 3 LTE and 17 CDMA800, that means the remaining 13 are 1x800, right? And the CDMA800 are 800 MHz 3g? I know the LTE would be specified 800, so the ones for now are just in the PCS band.

Almost. As I understand it:

CDMA800 is 1x800SMR so that was 17 updates. Then the 3 LTE updates......the remaining that are unaccounted for 33-17-3=13 are 3G updated at 1900PCS band. There is no "800Mhz 3G", just 1x data/voice and LTE, but no one has 800LTE broadcasting yet, there are a few acceptances in Chicago area for 800LTE. And you are right, it would say 800LTE or something specific for it.

Almost. As I understand it:

CDMA800 is 1x800SMR so that was 17 updates. Then the 3 LTE updates......the remaining that are unaccounted for 33-17-3=13 are 3G updated at 1900PCS band. There is no "800Mhz 3G", just 1x data/voice and LTE, but no one has 800LTE broadcasting yet, there are a few acceptances in Chicago area for 800LTE. And you are right, it would say 800LTE or something specific for it.

So then whats the difference between 1x800 and 1x800SMR? Are they the same thing or is there an actual difference?

Thanks!

So then whats the difference between 1x800 and 1x800SMR? Are they the same thing or is there an actual difference?

Thanks!

Yup, same. It appears to us as "1x" over 800MHz or 1x800 on our phones, but I think the technically correct name is 800SMR or perhaps CDMA 800 as Robert has it displayed....as its his website, perhaps that's what we should call it. :)  

I think based on these, the tower at I-94 and Moorland as well as the 3G complete tower further East on Bluemound are 4G/800

Nice! I was getting a super strong LTE signal when I drove by there this morning on my way in to work, but I wasn't getting 1x800 at all. I even tried a PRL update and everything. So I'm guessing those sites will be on the next acceptance reports!

• Like 1

I have a question about LTE signal strength and what-not.... I live on 92nd and Layton, and all 4 towers around me I believe are broadcasting LTE. However, in my house, my 1xRTT signal will be like -85 or something, but my LTE signal will be like -105 or -115. I know that LTE signal strength is measured differently and has different thresholds for usable signal, but is it really that big of a gap? I'll more often than not fall back to 3g cuz the LTE signal is too weak. I'm going to wait to pass judgement because those towers just got marked live a few days ago, so maybe they have some tweaking to do or maybe other towers in the area need to have LTE turned on to form the complete picture.... But man, that's kind of disappointing so far...

Also keep in mind different devices in the same area will pull a different signal strength. My N5 would likely be sitting in the mid -90s compared to the mid -100s that you see on the HTC One.

Thanks!

SMR is the band name. 1x is the technology type. 800 is the MHz. You can combine them all if you want. SMR 800 1x. ;)

This actually affected most of Wisconsin according to Sprint. Bad when all you have is Sprint phones and can't use them if there is an emergency.

This actually affected most of Wisconsin according to Sprint. Bad when all you have is Sprint phones and can't use them if there is an emergency.

My phone worked just fine all day yesterday. I even worked my second job and had to make deliveries from Wauwatosa, to Watertown, Waterloo, Sun Prarie, and Madison. I only had one little bit of static on a call when I was in Ixonia around 7:30pm. But I was also kind of in the middle of nowhere.

My phone worked just fine all day yesterday. I even worked my second job and had to make deliveries from Wauwatosa, to Watertown, Waterloo, Sun Prarie, and Madison. I only had one little bit of static on a call when I was in Ixonia around 7:30pm. But I was also kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, I didn't seem to have any issues except once around 5:15pm, my wife tried to call me she claims but I never got it.  She said it just kept ringing and never went to voicemail.

Yeah, I didn't seem to have any issues except once around 5:15pm, my wife tried to call me she claims but I never got it.  She said it just kept ringing and never went to voicemail.

Are you sure you are not using the avoid the wife app?

• Like 1