Network Vision/LTE - Norfolk Market (Hampton Roads/Virginia Tidewater)

wellsey1126

Well.. I know where some of the towers are.. If anyone needs me to take pictures etc. Let me know.

In the Sponsor section we have maps that show every Sprint site in every market. Are you saying you have found NV sites under way?

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Hate to reopen discussion but I've seen these guys working on this tower right at the I64/I564 interchange for 3 days now and my 3g speed in that area have gone through the roof, network still shows Evdo Rev-A, so I'm guessing these are 3GNV upgrades but; could they be installing the LTE hardware aswell?? All unmarked work vehicles.......

Edit:the field test was run about 1-2miles from the site, speed test run within 100 yards of the tower.

post-4992-0-46353200-1347637948_thumb.jpg

post-4992-0-73068600-1347637948_thumb.jpg

post-4992-0-00489700-1347637949_thumb.jpg

post-4992-0-25945800-1347637949_thumb.jpg

Edited by AeroXlll
  • Like 1

1 new cell? on the north facing side of the tower today,the guys were actual installing hardware up there... plus there was what I can only assume to be a super's vehicle on site aswell, maybe testing by the 21st? I'd love to see what a fresh LTE signal will look like around here. I ought to just stop and ask them if they are subs for sprint but I figure they won't tell me plus it's a main road and you know they got work to do.

Edited by AeroXlll
  • Like 1

1 new cell? on the north facing side of the tower today,the guys were actual installing hardware up there... plus there was what I can only assume to be a super's vehicle on site aswell, maybe testing by the 21st? I'd love to see what a fresh LTE signal will look like around here. I ought to just stop and ask them if they are subs for sprint but I figure they won't tell me plus it's a main road and you know they got work to do.

If you can stop safely, and they are in a safe location to speak, you should stop and ask. I find most are forthcoming and enjoy talking about what they do. No harm. And be sure to report back whatever you hear. Thanks!

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

seem there are now workers at a site right next to I64 between mercury blvd and jay clyde morris @the hampton dump see 2 unmarked service truck working at the site for the last week. still no 4g in hampton newport news or norfolk though. wonder if they're holding back on unlocking the radios until the footprint is bigger? I'm gonna try and get a photo of the radios on the towers this weekend and may we can tell if it truely is the new 4g radios.

Ok trying to figure out what tower. There is 3 that it could be. J.Clyde and Harpersvill or 64 and Hampton center lastly 64 and Mercury.

well the tower I've seen the service truck and active work is actually on the hampton city dump property, suppose I shoulda checked to see if it was an acttual sprint tower but when I pull cdma feild test and mapped it, it was the one I'm talking about I'll pull off the highway tommorrow and get a screen shot for us.

Ok trying to figure out what tower. There is 3 that it could be. J.Clyde and Harpersvill or 64 and Hampton center lastly 64 and Mercury.

Just A quick correction it is the towwer of to the right of 64 harpersville I also noticed vehicles and personel working on the "cabinets at the mercury/64 interchange tower......still no 4G anywhere in HR and the one tower I saw new radios installed at has had no1 on site for what almost 3 weeks now? supposed launch in this area is but a month away and I have yet to even get the "tower tests" some others have reported in other markets. Being as how I'm one of the few that ever asks about HR market though perhapse it isn't a decisive sprint market....Very rarely do I ever see people ask or talk about HR compared with some other markets, and coverage in this area, espcially hampton leaves much to be desired. I Know the tower I connect to at the house is actually 3 embeded radios in a 75' flag pole in gosnold hope park, sad thing is the flag and it's eylets are Constantly smacking the radios and I have super poor performance to me that is a design flaw but whatevs. I just hope that maybe we start to get a test signal around here before to long, I though HR would be a much more important and easier upgrade than it is appearing to be......

I hear you there. There is a wimax tower at or near Warwick and Mercury I have and old Evo also. I have been all around the penn. (I have a son who needs drive time :) ) and have not found on lte or newer evod rev a site yet. The speed on my Evo LTE is slower than my oldschool Evo.

The Hampton Roads is not likely to happen in a month. I have yet to see a single tower come online in the interactive maps area. I know they are working on the area' date=' but I don't know how far that has gotten beyond paperwork.[/quote']

Norfolk is on Sprint's list to have a launchable amount of service before years end. It appears that Sprint is shifting deployment strategies. Instead of rushing through 2nd Round markets, it seems they are deploying 2nd round markets at a slower rate and starting later markets simultaneously.

Robert via Moto Photon Q using Forum Runner

It appears that Sprint is shifting deployment strategies. Instead of rushing through 2nd Round markets, it seems they are deploying 2nd round markets at a slower rate and starting later markets simultaneously.

Starting to think you're right on this, new work has begon on another I64 tower right at the Bayside Ave. Bridge on I64, it appears sprint is just moving up the highway with these improvements probly because of the MASSIVE commuter population in this area. That leads me to speculate that they won't lauch until the I64 corridor between NN and Vabeach is covered then I guess they'll move out from the highway....just an educated guess at this point.

• Like 1

Well this would make since to me if the towers along I64 have a great backhaul (have not ran speed tests on them yet,) and enough bandwidth to support LTE there first. If you have a bottle neck in the backhaul the worst thing you can do is to upgrade speeds. I am not sure as to what they will use for the backhaul elsewhere but am sure those details matter little to the enduser.

Odd thing happen today while in Derby Run in Yorktown. It is a stones throw from the tower near the dump and my data connection dropped. I had to change it to CDMA only to connect. I would get the connected disconnected msg with CDMA & LTE selected in the settings. verry strange...

Hear in Norfolk in the late hours of the night, I to lose my data connection. Usually an Airplane mode cycle will do the trick but the last few days I have had to restart my EVO LTE and do a prl and profile update just to get data back on. I am hopibg its just an upgrade at work and there installing NV.

Ok sorry I posted from my phone so i did not have the best way to type it all in so here is what I did.

I had Data connection and connected to Langly AFB data server once I moved outside of the range of that server my data connection dropped. It did the connected disconnected cycle. I restarted the phone thinking something messed it up. I still had no data connection i tried to do a PRL update and it failed I cycled airplane mode with and without Wifi on. Odd I was able to turn on Wifi with airplane mode on. After that I went in and turned cdma only on and it connected I then turned back on cdma and lte and poof no data connection. with CDMA on i checked the server and I was connected to the one near the Hampton Dump. Distance was under 1 mile.

I was connected to the one near the Hampton Dump. Distance was under 1 mile.

This is the one that I saw them working on about a week and a half ago but it doesn't look like there are any new radios on the tower, at least from what I could tell, my data through there has been fine as of yesterday so no idea.

This could mean they have LTE towers up and installed but with lack of a backhaul to handle the data they will keep it switched off. Speeds are nice in the early hpurs of the day lunch time is horable.

• Like 1

Norfolk is on Sprint's list to have a launchable amount of service before years end. It appears that Sprint is shifting deployment strategies. Instead of rushing through 2nd Round markets, it seems they are deploying 2nd round markets at a slower rate and starting later markets simultaneously.

That saying seems familiar, I think I had asked you about that on an article a couple months ago.

I have an Idea now why the disconnects were happening to you....traveling through norfolk this morning decided to do a field test.....eHrpd is lit up from ODU to hampton side of the HRBT. A sign of things to come?

Without eHRPD, you're phone can't handle 4G <-> 3G network hand-offs. Installing eHRPD in a region is a pre-cursor to LTE deployment. As others have pointed out, that simply means "progress". It doesn't necessarily mean you'll have it next week, but definitely means you'll get it at some point. :)

This was posted on a forum for another carrier...