Apple needs to be stopped smh

Adrian28

Apple and its doings are an ever-present symbol of the drawbacks to our economic and political system. Reform is impossible with our political system of bureacrats deeply entrenched in a vestigial structures holding them in place. Unless something shakes up or destroys this structure, we're going to have to continue to deal with this type of corporate strong arming and the foolish patent wars.

It was already shown in a court of law that Samsung blatantly infringed on apple and that it wasn't by accident but rather by systematic efforts to willfully steal from apple. For all the Samsung supporters, I wonder how you would feel if someone stole from you.

It was already shown in a court of law that Samsung blatantly infringed on apple and that it wasn't by accident but rather by systematic efforts to willfully steal from apple. For all the Samsung supporters, I wonder how you would feel if someone stole from you.

Right, because Apple invented everything they include on the iphone independently. I'm sorry but Samsung is more innovative than Apple is (although when galaxy s1 series hit, it was a ripoff of iphone.) but the newer stuff s2 to present has been unique.

I'm no lover of Samsung but I believe the verdict was flawed. From what we were privy to, Apple had a very circumspect case IMO. In addition, recent comments from members of the jury have placed their own judgment in to question. I really believe that there is a strong chance that the verdict will be overturned.

Ultimately, these patents should have never been granted because prior art for all of them is abundant but our court system is foolish, the "honorable" judges are arrogant, uneducated in the matters they oversee, and will bend to political or monetary pressure. There may be no solution to this as this is human nature and an alternative system may be worse. However we should at least talk about it. Matters have gotten out of hand.

As an example, I still play paintball every once in a while but I used to play every weekend. I was involved with everything about the sport and I frequented a site called "PbNation.com" this site was like the XDA or S4GRU of paintball, it was an enthusiast forum. When I first started playing paintball there were 5-7 manufacturers of paintball guns who were prominent, Smart Parts, Kingman, Dye, WGP, Tippmann and WDP. These were the big manufacturers and they produced lots of markers and competed against each other to produce markers. There were smaller more enthusiast rigged companies that produced high-end markers such as AGD and AKA. These companies continued to exist in peace until smart parts made its "iPhone" of paintball guns, the Shocker. The shocker was revolutionary in that instead of being mechanical it was electronic, so one could shoot many more rounds per second compared to a mechanical gun like a WGP Autococker. Needless to say demand for this gun skyrocketed for tournament play as it gave players an instant advantage.

Smart Parts patented the crap of its design. A few months later all of those other companies were either working on or selling electronic guns. Smart Parts was designing more electronic guns but it was also planning something else, big lawsuits. When AKA, put the Viking and Excalibur series of electronic markers for sale Smart Parts sued. Smart Parts was at the time the largest company in paintball while AKA was a very small independent company. AKA wasn't big enough and didn't have deep enough pockets to fight Smart Parts so it agreed to stop selling markers, there was much public outcry over this.

However, this was not the first time Smart Parts sued a company for using their designs, their first victim was Pneuventures. This was especially interesting because pneuventures was actually the company that designed the Smart Parts shocker. However because they didn't patent the design and Smart parts did, smart parts was able to sue the company for all it was worth and acquire its assets and NEW DESIGNS. Smart Parts was not an innovative company, in the words of Steve Jobs they were the great artists that stole. Smart parts continued suing until larger companies like dye bent over and paid the royalties.

Smart parts at this point was raking in the cash and was extremely profitable but within the paintball community there was a bit of a storm brewing. Players and enthusiasts were not to fond of their favorite small companies dying or their favorite large companies upping their prices to pay smart parts. As a result there was a widespread and sustained boycott against smart parts. On the forums if a new player asked which gun to buy all would recommend against smart parts products and recommend competitors who were still fighting. On the field it was much the same. People who owned smart parts guns were looked down upon.

Eventually their sales decreased to the point that Smart Parts went bankrupt and there was a great rejoicing within the community, the whore was dead! Now new smaller companies came in to fill the void that smart parts left, such as dangerous powers and KEE's Invert division. These new companies were able to produce new innovative designs at a low price without fear of persecution from the likes of smart parts and there was a sort of explosion of new product lines that resulted.

Unfortunately as has been shown the apple situation is different. When apple patents an obvious feature, (for smart parts it was an electronic on/off switch), liberals and hipsters rejoice to hear what "new" technologies apple is developing. Apple has a dedicated zombie following that would never, ever open their eyes to other products. Their products are so deeply ingrained in what they feel defines them as a person that they would never question apple. These people have sort of gone overboard and follow apple in what seems like a religion. Even if the majority of the people who buy smart phones chose to boycott apple it wouldn't work as Apple's loyal retainers will always be there for better or worse even if they have to give up everything.

The other issue at hand is that unlike paintball, smart phones are a general consumer product. Most people are NOT enthusiasts and a boycott would never work because Joe Blow from down the street who wants to buy a smart phone wouldn't know or care about patent war crimes. For all he knows, he should just buy what the salesmen at the store say is great at the time.

In conclusion, Apple either needs a major change in attitude or another company needs to put them in their place. The quoted post is the reason a boycott would never work.

• Like 6

The use of "smh" needs to be stopped; it has no place in intelligent discourse.

AJ

• Like 1

I understand where you're coming from,but this is about the s3 and company. I do not believe these products infringed on the recent patent litigation. In fact, they were made specifically to show they dont need to copy.

An Infiniti is more similar and infringing to a design of a Lexus than a Galaxy S-III is to an any Apple product ever released. The Galaxy S-III is more advanced in almost every spec than an Apple 4S. And they look nothing alike. OS or physical device. Apple is just trying to expand against their competitor to see what sticks.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Isn't the underlying point that the "theft" of the design ideas lead to confusion for the consumer? How many people would pick up someone's S3 confusing it for their iPhone?

Then there's this approach to the story: A billion dollars well spent. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409010,00.asp

• Like 1

I know it is fashionable to bash Apple, but this is a completely different lawsuit than the one that the one they were awarded $1B on. For a bit more detail:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/apple-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-galaxy-note-patent-lawsuit/

If i read that correctly, those issues have already been rectified by OTA updates. Slide-to-unlock was deemed invalid in the HTC court case.

It seems to me that Apple is trying to stop all Smartphones from being sold except iPhones.

Even though Blackberry is dying, I wild not be suprised if Apple goes after RIM too.

If some how Apple is successful, we will all wind up owning nothing but iPhones.

I will admit, I am sounding like an Apple hater. I, honesty, have nothing against anyone who owns an iPhone, but Apple trying to completely eliminate all other Smartphones does sux.

KCT - "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!"

• Like 1

It seems to me that Apple is trying to stop all Smartphones from being sold except iPhones.

Even though Blackberry is dying, I wild not be suprised if Apple goes after RIM too.

If some how Apple is successful, we will all wind up owning nothing but iPhones.

Ding ding ding... We have a winner. Apple wants nothing but apple products in everyones hands and home. People always looked at me funny when I called apple the Nazis a few years ago.

The average juror fully believes that there were zero smartphones before the iPhone. So they will give them the win every time.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Just patent "smh" and force people to not be able to use it.... Lol

Good idea. I have now patented "SMH" -- both the phrase and the actual gesture. If you use "SMH" while discussing smartphones or even shake your head at your smartphone, well, you are using a "stolen product," and I will sue your ass.

AJ

It means :shakes my head: unless you were kidding

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I really had no idea.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I am eerily good at intuitively figuring out acronyms, but for the longest time I thought that "SMH" might stand for "so much hate," especially as people younger than me these days seem to think that "haters" and "hatin'" are standards of the lexicon.

AJ

• Like 2

I am eerily good at intuitively figuring out acronyms, but for the longest time I thought that "SMH" might stand for "so much hate," especially as people younger than me these days seem to think that "haters" and "hatin'" are standards of the lexicon.

AJ

Dont hate on the haters while they be hating!

We're talking billion dollar corporations here.. no matter how someone spins it.. they all are fully vested in making the most money for their shareholders. I happen to prefer iOS, I have no adverse feelings for those who use Android or WM. I don't think for a second that any of these powerhouses would hesitate to litigate especially in the messed up US patent environment. All I'm saying is everyone needs to take a deep breath. Tech companies come and go.. today's rage is tomorrows antiquity.

Back to Network Vision!