Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

Sweet, I'll pop by tomorrow for lunch and check out the speeds. Right now my home speeds are a disaster (Holiday Inn area)

Well!...... I think you probably wont get the speeds I got. My reasoning is that I tested the speeds on a Sunday morning and, as you know, Mayaguez turns into a ghost town during the weekends, hence the network traffic is probably very light. My experience is that I haven't been able to get anything above 400kbps during a weekday.

Well!...... I think you probably wont get the speeds I got. My reasoning is that I tested the speeds on a Sunday morning and, as you know, Mayaguez turns into a ghost town during the weekends, hence the network traffic is probably very light. My experience is that I haven't been able to get anything above 400kbps during a weekday.

That is so true. On weekends, there isn't a single car at Mayaguez Terrace. :P

I hope Mayaguez gets done soon!

This was from the university but connected to the mayaguez terrace site.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

post-4480-13485781578002_thumb.jpg

Every Sprint Owned tower gets new hardware under NV.

Every Sprint tower gets new hardware, unless it is being decommissioned. It doesn't matter if Sprint owns the tower or not. Most of the towers in my area are leased and have equipment from multiple wireless vendors on them.

While I was in Barceloneta right next to he highway I did a test and got the best speeds I have seen yet on sprint (about 2meg down). I believe this is very close to one of the upgraded towers. The rest of the way between there and San Juan speeds were very slow or non existent.

While I was in Barceloneta right next to he highway I did a test and got the best speeds I have seen yet on sprint (about 2meg down). I believe this is very close to one of the upgraded towers. The rest of the way between there and San Juan speeds were very slow or non existent.

Good speed are spotty right now because of the early stage on completed sites of nv rollout in the island, I did tests from Mayaguez up to Ponce, and found 3 o 4 places with 1.5mb or more. 1 at Guanica-Yauco, others in Guayanilla and Ponce, but the good news of this, the network its getting better and better.

Good speed are spotty right now because of the early stage on completed sites of nv rollout in the island, I did tests from Mayaguez up to Ponce, and found 3 o 4 places with 1.5mb or more. 1 at Guanica-Yauco, others in Guayanilla and Ponce, but the good news of this, the network its getting better and better.

Upgrading those towers must be a huge amount of work. If they do about 4 a week it will take them over a year to complete the job. I hope they don’t do this in a way that they give each area token LTE upgrades and then come back to complete it later. No LTE access on ATT is not bad. I get about 3-6meg down no problem on HSPA+ . With EVDO unless you have an LTE connection it is really at the low end of my expectations. If I could always get abuot 2meg down with unlimited data I would be happy but we shall see. LTE is really what is needed, not just upgraded 3g towers. I know that is where they are headed but I'll hold off on getting excited till I actually see that the deployment is going to be truly completed and all towers offer LTE.

They're installing everything, as soon as the site is accepted as completed, it should have lte equipment installed.

It doesn't mean LTE will be up.

The problem isn't EVDO speed, is the backhaul, before the mass smartphone euphoria on sprint (pre EVO 4G), sprint internet was great around the island, i remember using EVDO rev a pcmcia cards with over 2mb and my ppc-6700 wasn't rev a. but was fast enough, but the number of smartphone users was minimal, i remember paying 600 cash for windows mobile phones, when people was still using moto razors.

• Like 2

They're installing everything, as soon as the site is accepted as completed, it should have lte equipment installed.

The problem isn't EVDO speed, is the backhaul, before the mass smartphone euphoria on sprint (pre EVO 4G), sprint internet was great around the island, i remember using EVDO rev a pcmcia cards with over 2mb and my ppc-6700 wasn't rev a. but was fast enough, but the number of smartphone users was minimal, i remember paying 600 cash for windows mobile phones, when people was still using moto razors.

+1 on that, I used to get 1.7 Mbps on average when I had my Touch Pro, and still around 1 Mbps when I had the Hero. the smartphone adoption rate has been very noticeable, reflected in the decline of speeds to even dial-up speeds in some places.

• Like 1

INCREASE SPEEDS AT CABO ROJO 1.0 TO 1.3 M TODAY .THATS NICE

Where in Cabo Rojo? Are you on Sprint Network or roaming (typically PCS 2000 LP)?

As for Mayaguez, today I got 1Meg inside the University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez. This is a location (next to the Chemistry Building) which usually has about 300kbps. I'm now hoping to see the 4G icon light up :)

• Like 1

I remember using my Moto Q windows phone back in the day and needing to tether due to an ISP outage. I'd get almost 2mbs down constantly, it was amazing.

Well I don't think EVDO helps. HSPA and HSPA+ can definitely move data much faster. Doesn’t EVDO tie up more bandwidth for longer periods of time because it cant move the data quickly enough. Your using more frequency because your tying up that frequency for longer periods of time? I'm saying this off the cuff. I have always been curious about how all this works. When HSPA or HSPA+ give me 6meg down, is it doing it by grabbing a bigger section of frequency?

I'm hating the Galaxy Nexus more and more every day... theres a guy who takes 4 classes with me and he has a sprint GSIII. hes been getting 0.7mb + all day while my nexus gets 0.1-0.2mb right next to it.

I've had it swapped 4 times now so its either a major bug with the phone or sprints network with the gnex.

All sprint is willing to do is swap it for a crappy LG Viper. I may use an upgrade on one of my other lines and get myself a GSIII.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well I don't think EVDO helps. HSPA and HSPA+ can definitely move data much faster. Doesn’t EVDO tie up more bandwidth for longer periods of time because it cant move the data quickly enough. Your using more frequency because your tying up that frequency for longer periods of time? I'm saying this off the cuff. I have always been curious about how all this works. When HSPA or HSPA+ give me 6meg down, is it doing it by grabbing a bigger section of frequency?

Huh?

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge