Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

That doesn't seem like such a bad thing at all. Expanded service in Puerto Rico and more towers in more places would be great. The only thing is that Verizon roams on Open Mobile in Puerto Rico so would Sprint be forced to honor that roaming agreement?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hi guys.. i just received this info... any insights, pros and cons...

https://www.tecnetico.com/negocios/a-ley-de-nada-para-que-sprint-compre-a-open-mobile-segun-reporte/65205

That doesn't seem like such a bad thing at all. Expanded service in Puerto Rico and more towers in more places would be great. The only thing is that Verizon roams on Open Mobile in Puerto Rico so would Sprint be forced to honor that roaming agreement?

If I am reading this right (I do not speak fluent Spanish) this seems like a good thing?

Can't wait for Verizon to pay Sprint for roaming. Hopefully they can charge them a ridiculous rate since Verizon really doesn't have another option in PR

edit: i guess they technically can roam on a GSM carrier like they do in other countries. Same as sprint does

If this comes to fruition I can already imagine the usual suspects around the Internet complaining about Sprint spending money on Puerto Rico as if the customers' money there isn't just as green.

One interesting thing is that Open Mobile appears to use Band 13 LTE there. That's probably not an issue for those with LTE iPhones, Google Pixel phones and the like. However, I wonder if Sprint would mandate band 13 in all phones going forward. That's kind of a big deal just to have 700 Mhz coverage in Puerto Rico and the USVI, however I wonder if that might dovetail with possible Verizon LTE roaming in the future.

• Like 4

If this comes to fruition I can already imagine the usual suspects around the Internet complaining about Sprint spending money on Puerto Rico as if the customers' money there isn't just as green.

One interesting thing is that Open Mobile appears to use Band 13 LTE there. That's probably not an issue for those with LTE iPhones, Google Pixel phones and the like. However, I wonder if Sprint would mandate band 13 in all phones going forward. That's kind of a big deal just to have 700 Mhz coverage in Puerto Rico and the USVI, however I wonder if that might dovetail with possible Verizon LTE roaming in the future.

They could decommission Band 13 and sell or trade it to t-mobile or AT&T or a local carrier for more PCS band. My understanding is that Open Mobile uses PCS for CDMA. Sprint can consolidate all of there PCS and have 1x and 3G in 5x5 and have up to 20x20 of PCS LTE depending on how much spectrum they have. They might have to spilt it into multiple carriers but it would really improve the network. I would assume Open Mobiles equipment is compatible with Sprint CDMA and is at least some of it is compatible with Sprint 1900LTE. IMO Sprint still should have bought the 800 SMR in that auction few month back.

They could decommission Band 13 and sell or trade it to t-mobile or AT&T or a local carrier for more PCS band. My understanding is that Open Mobile uses PCS for CDMA. Sprint can consolidate all of there PCS and have 1x and 3G in 5x5 and have up to 20x20 of PCS LTE depending on how much spectrum they have. They might have to spilt it into multiple carriers but it would really improve the network. I would assume Open Mobiles equipment is compatible with Sprint CDMA and is at least some of it is compatible with Sprint 1900LTE. IMO Sprint still should have bought the 800 SMR in that auction few month back.

Like Sprint, neither t-mobile not AT&T use Band 13 anywhere else so why would they be interested? If Sprint elected to sell or trade it, the only logical partner would seem to be Verizon. AFAIK Verizon doesn't own any other spectrum there so who knows if they would want to enter that market at all, let alone armed with only a 10x10 (12x12?) slice of Band 13 spectrum.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Like Sprint, neither t-mobile not AT&T use Band 13 anywhere else so why would they be interested? If Sprint elected to sell or trade it, the only logical partner would seem to be Verizon. AFAIK Verizon doesn't own any other spectrum there so who knows if they would want to enter that market at all, let alone armed with only a 10x10 (12x12?) slice of Band 13 spectrum.

I thought Band 13 was a subset of Band 17 which is a subset of Band 12

VZW is not allowed to have a native network in Puerto Rico.

If Sprint trades away the 700mhz they will acquire, I do not believe they will have any lowband spectrum in Puerto Rico. I don't think that's something they want.

Additionally, mandating B13 support on phones going forward would be a good move on Sprint's part because when VZW sunsets their CDMA network in 2019, phones will have been ready for VZW LTE roaming for years.

I thought Band 13 was a subset of Band 17 which is a subset of Band 12

Nope. Band 13 is it's own animal. There's a chart on this page: http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/cellulartelecomms/lte-long-term-evolution/lte-frequency-spectrum.php

VZW is not allowed to have a native network in Puerto Rico.

Oh really? I never knew that. I suppose that would explain why they're the only major carrier that doesn't have a network there.

IIRC Sprint's position is that the current 800 Mhz license holder is a squatter that never met the buildout requirements set by the FCC. Thus Sprint isn't going to pay them for spectrum that arguably should revert back to the FCC. Also, I don't think there was much interest in purchasing the spectrum since it has limited uses besides Sprint, so who else was going to buy it. Not sure what would happen at that point. I may be thinking of a different license holder though. AJ, want to jump in here?

Thats the reason to buy  openmobile  low band 700mhz better than 800mhz smr.. 

I'm doubtful Sprint would use the Band 13 there. It might be of more use to AT&T than Sprint. Also 700MHz is not that much better than 800MHz. Probably a 3dbm difference at most.

• Like 1

I'm doubtful Sprint would use the Band 13 there. It might be of more use to AT&T than Sprint. Also 700MHz is not that much better than 800MHz. Probably a 3dbm difference at most.

AT&T devices generally support B12/17, not B13. The only user of B13 in the US is VZW and they do not operate a network in PR. Since Sprint will be buying a network on which B13 is already deployed and rolled out, I see no reason to sell the licenses…plus B13 support will be necessary for Sprint phones in the coming years (VZW plans to shut down its CDMA network in 2019).

• Like 1

If this is true I really hope they keep that B13. I am not sure but I checked someones phone who uses Open and it was on 10x10. Another thing is that I know a lot of people that visit here and use Verizon and they always complain about data speed since it's 3g only. Now Sprint can charge Verizon for that LTE and satisfy their customers. Sprint really needs lowband here.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

…plus B13 support will be necessary for Sprint phones in the coming years (VZW plans to shut down its CDMA network in 2019).

It won't be necessary. Just because Sprint roams on Verizon today doesn't mean it has to in the future. With VoLTE, there is nothing tying Sprint to Verizon anymire. Sprint should be able to shop around for cheaper rates with At&t, T-Mobile and other regional carriers with VoLTE
  • Like 1

I couldn't find a coverage map on Openmobile's website. Do they provide coverage in the interior portion of the island where Sprint does not?

The spectrum situation certainly looks much better for Sprint (in PR) with this purchase. If they where really aggressive and decided to run a minimal number of CDMA (2 probably) they could run two 10x10 Band 25 LTE carriers. Hopefully they keep the 700 MHz license as well, it would be beneficial for several reasons: The initial transition for existing Openmobile customers, the roaming revenue from Verizon customers visiting the Island, it provides another 10x10 LTE carrier for capacity, and it solves the low band problem that Sprint has in this market (although it would be unavailable to most (or all) of Sprint's current customers initially).

• Like 2

I couldn't find a coverage map on Openmobile's website. Do they provide coverage in the interior portion of the island where Sprint does not?

Yes, they appear have coverage in the interior of the island, though some of it looks to be 3G.

http://www.openmobilepr.com/servicios/detalle/cobertura

• Like 2

Yes, they appear have coverage in the interior of the island, though some of it looks to be 3G.

http://www.openmobilepr.com/servicios/detalle/cobertura

Thanks, I took a few blind (I know almost no Spanish) stabs at links on their site but missed. I imagine those towers covering the interior could be upgraded as the networks are integrated.

• Like 2

I am from the west coast of PR. I have Sprint with the iPhone 7 Plus. All works great except the internet speedt. The LTE is very but very slow at day time. With almost full bars I reach 0.20mbs. I cant use Youtube, FB, Nerflix stays loading forever. But I noticed that at midnight the data starts working again and I can use everything. I reach 20.00mb of speed but only at night. At day I have to toogle to 3G only to use the data a little better. All the west coast is having this problem.

post-61687-0-97069400-1486816955_thumb.png

Edited by hmendez787